[Poll] Disappointed with 2.1??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by higgalls, Sep 14, 2008.

?

Are you disappointed with 2.1?

1. Hell YES - Apple, give us the features we all want.

29 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. No - I think it is great as it is

116 vote(s)
    73.4%
  3. Don't really have an opinion

13 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. higgalls macrumors regular

I am getting rather disappointed with Apple and the iPhone software.

We were all hoping that 2.1 would bring some new features, but it is really pretty pathetic (yes the improved battery is great, and bug fixes etc).

Why haven't we gotten any of the following features yet, apple?

- Push Notifications
    - MMS
    - Copy and Paste
    - GPS Navigation
    - Video Recording
    - Calendar colours are STILL not syncing to the iPhone calendar from iCal (it works fine with Mobile Me apparently, but I don't want that).
    - And many many more...

These are not big asks, but Apple simply hasn't delivered (they did promise Push notifications this month - will we be receiving another update this month??).

Apple really should be doing a lot better than this.

So who is disappointed with 2.1 (or the iPhone software in general)??

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

On a personal level, as someone who wasn't having major issues with 2.0.2, I was disappointed not to see new features.

But looking beyond my use, I understood that some people were having so many bug issues that their iPhones were almost unusable, so it made perfect sense for Apple to release a major fix before they added new features. Even if the percentage of users with problems was small (and I do believe that), it's better to get everyone to a stable platform and build on that.

I'm confident that the next release will have new features, and I'm even hopeful that it will include some that I have wanted since day one. ;)

BTW, what issues are you having with iCal colors? That has worked for me from day one. Maybe I could point you in the right direction on that issue.

3. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

those feature would be good but i am still happy with the update. I love the genius feature. I am also quite certain most of those feature will eventually come out, hopefully soon so i havnt lost faith yet

4. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Though, the problem is that we keep thinking the iPhone is new. But the reality is that only the iPhone 3G is new, and therefore it hasn't been simply a matter of months for them to try and bring out features such as MMS and Copy and Paste - these are MUCH MUCH longer things that others have been waiting for, and really should have been out a LONG time ago.

I am eagerly waiting more features, and I do hope they come, but Apple has had plenty of time.

5. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

was going to sing the praises of 2.1 but safari just crashed on me, so I felt a little bit silly saying it was nice and stable!
    Still genius is nice new feature in my opinion.
    I was looking forward to push tho- bring it on apple!
    (posted from my iPhone)

6. reboad macrumors member

Texting and using contacts became faster, I'm happy.

7. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I can see lawsuits against Apple if they don't deliver on the push notifications this month. People could have bought the phone on the promise that push notifications will be coming in September.

I'm not one of those people, I'll be happy when it comes, but my phone does everything I want it to. I didn't buy the phone hoping that other features would be added, if I wanted MMS/copy and past etc, then I'd have bought another phone. You don't buy a 2-seater car and then hope that it'll get extra passenger seats in a free upgrade in the next few months, you buy a car that suits your needs.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

+1

It feels alot smoother and apps dont hang either now.. Tap Tap Revenge would semi freeze sometimes, now it just glides through

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...and another one. These cries will never stop will they? FFS! we know what features the phone is lacking its been discussed time and time again. Reposting and reposting about them WON'T change anything because users can't do anything about it

Instead of posting a new thread about something we already know, why not nag Apple...the people that can actually do something about it instead.

Also steve never promised new features in 2.1, IIRC from the keynote he said "fixes alot of bugs...performance enhancements" so why expect it (new features) when the CEO pretty much tells you not to

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree. Definitely makes more sense to stabilize the platform than to add new features.

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

As many issues existed in the 2.0.x software, I am ecstatic about the 2.1 release. At least for me, all of my problems are fixed. I think Apple has taken the correct course here. Look what happened when Apple was mainly focused on new features...iPhone 2.0, MobileMe, 3G release ... things didn't go so well. They made promises of new features only to sacrifice quality to meet some arbitrary deadline. I like the attitude here of saying, "look, we are going to make 2.1 solid and stable as possible, then we will look into additional features." Would you rather have MMS, copy/paste, PUSH, etc on a buggy OS, or a solid OS without them and the possibility to add later? I'll take the latter.

12. Wisenos macrumors newbie

+2

apps are a bit faster and phone works better

13. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

You are so wrong... Steve called me and told me just because of this rant, he has his team working triple over time to bring those features and more. Expect a release tomorrow, 6am PST, 9am EST. :rolleyes:

Seriously... I have to agree with daneoni. If this is an "issue" for you sell, the device and get a Nokia 6102i. You will have your MMS.

The title honestly should be changed as if I know after voting, it would be another rant, I would have skipped the thread. Yes we all would love those features, but I am a realist. If the phone is having issues w/o these features, what makes everyone think that they are ready to put these features on if the core/basic features don't work or don't work well yet?

Not really mad at the OP, but I'm getting tired of seeing the same things over. I think there should be a sticky titled, "ALL RANTS, COMPLAINTS and DISLIKES about the features that aren't on the iPhone all go here or get banned."

14. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I don't know a single person with 2.0.X that can install an App in 10 seconds. I also don't know a person with 2.0.X that didn't have text lag. All 10 iPhones I've used with 2.0.X on it performed similarly and all shared the common problems we talk about in these forums. It was not a small percentage.

15. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

The contacts issue was NOT resolved and it still takes 5-10 seconds to load the stuff. Haven't seen any improvement yet really... it just feels about the same.

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I think the whole thread is rather pointless because Apple never intended to provide any new features in this update..... they direly needed to fix all the crap out there before adding in some new features! I expect a 2.2 update around the corner with the proposed Background Push and some new features with probable Nike+ and Volume Control Support!

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Now its been a few days I'm inpressed with the update. I'm not going to complain about features I knew the phone didnt have when I bought it so it is superb as it is.

If Apple do decide to add stuff to it then it'll be great!:D

18. slavetonone macrumors newbie

iphone software update 2.1

Although many of us agree that this update was great and bug fixes are sometimes not accepted as something great, I am happy to get fixes to the daily issues that frustrate me. I know there are issues with the iphone, but I think there are far less errors than any other PDA phone I have used in the past. (When actually using them to their potential)

Now all that being said, I was a bit disappointed mostly because Apple has spoiled us with something new on most updates even if they are small or not, but it did bother me a little when I first purchased the 3G because of the GPS that was advertised all over... I expected it to have turn by turn guidance etc. It is a bit dangerous to actually use it in a car and pay attention to the road.

I know, I know, I should have not purchased it on the first day and waited to find out what it could and couldn't do, but get real... :) I purchased the 1st generation iphone on the first day and was not going to wait when the GPS was one of the features I have been waiting for!

Anyway, my complaint is that even though they did not have turn by turn , there has been talk (a lot of talk) about this not being a part of such a hyped up part of the 3G selling points... There was talk that Apple would put this in soon since there were some well known GPS software companies that created software ready to be released in the App Store. But nothing, the software has been there for months now, there are tons of bugs on the phone I know and glad to get some resolved, but isn't the lack of certain features really kind of considered a bug in a way.

I love my phone and don't want anything else, but I think that Apple has birthed a great success with the iphone and now not just in the US but around the world. Isn't it time they put together a Bug enhancement team AND a new feature team, so we can keep up with the growing demand of iphone users and their bugs and "basic" requests?

Just my two cents as I keep throwing money to the great Apple machine. :)

PS

They can't tell me there are not enough developers to hire with the potental either, look at the App store!

Slavetonone

19. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

As one of those people who was living a nightmare with the previous firmware, 2.1 was an absolute godsend. I didn't care about any new features -- I just wanted a stable OS again. But I can see why people who weren't having problems would be disappointed. However, even before my nightmares began, I was never one of those people who was dying to see cut & paste (a nice addition, but not a deal-breaker without), MMS (something I've NEVER used before), turn-by-turn GPS (I don't even need a 3G phone), or push notification (meh).

The only major thing (software-wise) I wanted the iPhone to have was 3rd-party app support, and it has that now. I really don't know what else they could do in a new firmware that would really get me excited. Maybe the ability to delete individual SMS's would be nice -- but all I can think of is really minor stuff like that, which isn't the end of the world if it never comes. I guess video-recording would be major -- though I would only use it a couple of times a year, probably at concerts.

The things I'm REALLY looking forward to are all hardware-related, and are sure to come in future versions of the phone. But firmware-wise, I think we already got the most important thing: the App Store. Now it's just a question of what innovations we'll see coming from that in the next year or so...

20. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I didn't have (much) crashing or anything, but I have noticed an increase in battery life so thats great.

Genius is worth the update alone in my opinion. When I get into my car it means I don't have to either make a playlist or listen to one I've listened to far too many times. I can just click a song depending on my mood and drive to that.

21. James17 macrumors 6502

I'm glad Apple focused on "bugs" and "performance enhancements" with the 2.1 update as I was about to go insane with the major lag when typing a text in 2.0.2, the utter slowness of the iPhone being backed up in iTunes and the amount of time it took for iTunes to install an app onto the iPhone but all of these issues have been fixed in 2.1 and I am now satisfied. :D

Since most of the big issues have been resolved I would like Apple to maybe take some time on implementing the features that have been described in here. All in due course!

22. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Higgals is right, iPhone is like the most advanced consumer cellular phone on the market and it still can't do simple things like MMS, and record video. It's a great device, but being one of the ones to wait 10 hours for the original iPhone , I can't help but feel let down by the lack of new features. Voice dialing, disk use? I'm a huge fan of all Apple products but a pretty interface and hot selling phone is not a good excuse to be lacking in features that most other much less expensive phones can handle.

23. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

sign, some people will always find something to complain about...:(

24. vilasgn macrumors regular

To original poster and all whiners.

get life people. I know this whining is never ever gonna stop. Trust me. This is software dude. It's gonna have some issues. I am sick of these whiners. They will never stop whinig. Whatever apple does, they find something to whine about. I think we should start ignoring these posts and posters.

25. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Maybe if anyone new about Macs, they'd understand that their products offer a complete package above and beyond expectations. It is very atypical of Apple to release products that do less than other commonly used products.