Poll: Do you buy 'family packs'?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anonymous Freak, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Do you buy Apple's 'family pack's?

1. Single pack - Only installed on one computer.

33 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Single pack - I'm a cheater! :-D

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Family pack - You mean you can install a single on more than one computer?

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. Family pack - I like to keep it legitimate.

72 vote(s)
    48.3%
  5. Family pack - Only on one computer for now.

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. You mean people actually *PAY* for software?

25 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Simple poll. Do you buy the family pack instead of a single pack?

• Buy single pack - Only installed on one computer.
    • Buy single pack - I'm a cheater! :-D
    • Buy family pack - You mean you can install a single on more than one computer?
    • Buy family pack - I like to keep it legitimate.
    • Buy family pack - Only on one computer for now.
    • You mean people actually *PAY* for software?

The middle 'family' pack one is meant to imply that you know you can use a single pack on multiple computers, but buy the family pack anyway, while the first 'family' pack one is meant for people who didn't know you *COULD* install a single-pack on multiple computers.

I suppose I should have had a "family pack - but more than the allowed 5 computers" option, too...

This is meant to apply for OS X, iLife, and iWork. I know some people might split their choices between the three, so choose whichever one you either do more, or by which software you consider more important.

P.S., this poll was inspired by the " Difference between single license vs faimly pack" thread.

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I ordered the Mac Box Set family pack for my three macs.

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Family pack. For the price it's a steal, and if enough people do it the right way Apple won't go to activation methods which are a pain to deal with. People deserve what they get when the download illegal/unauthorized copies.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Family Pack. As dswoodley has said, they're a very good deal, and while many think that their single instance of license violation may not be a big deal it *does* eventually add up and when it reaches the tipping point Apple will either start some kind of activation system or up the price a bit more. Karma people....don't be cheap bastards and make those of us that respect the licenses to pay for your cheapness - it'll come back to you one day...oh yeah!

6. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I have put single-user license Leopard and iWork '08 on two computers. But technically it is OK since they are both mine and I only use one copy at a time.

7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That is incorrect. You are not allowed to do that. The license is for a single system. Buy the family pack instead and be legal.

S-

9. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

When I bought iWork '08, I asked an Apple Genius if I needed to buy two copies. He said no. I also asked a patent attorney I know if that was correct. He told me that a single-user license can be used on multiple machines given there is only one simultaneous user. I cannot find this on the Apple website (please feel free to show me if I am wrong) but here it is for Stata:

"What is a single-user license?

* A single-user license for Stata is a license that allows a maximum of one simultaneous user of Stata.

* A single-user license allows Stata to be installed on a computer at work and a computer at home, since it would be impossible for one person to be using both computers at the same time...."

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

11. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Wow. Thanks for making me feel like an idiot? Sorry, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

He does Copyright law, and works exclusively in software. Apparently the Apple Genius was misinformed.

Why do they call it a single-user and not a single-system license, because that's what this is. I am aware that multi-user is not the same as single-user, but this article does mention what a single-user license is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-user. Hence the confusion.

12. Big Bad D macrumors regular

For as long as Apple continue to keep the Family Pack price premium as reasonable as it is, and it avoids the tedious registration and protection employed by many other software companies, then there's no legitimate excuse for not buying it if you have multiple Macs in the household.

13. 156457 macrumors 6502

i agree with the bassoonist.

it's called 'single-user license', therefor the name implies only one person can use it.
    the family pack is, guess what, called a 'family pack license', which implies that the whole family can use it.

And for the record I buy single licenses and install both of everything I get on my Mac and MacBook. I don't see anything wrong with that, I have bought it and so I'll do whatever I like with it. It's like buying a bike and the shop telling you only you can ride it. Screw that ****.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

thebassoonist and Nick.,

Apple calls it a "Single Use" license, not a "Single User" license.

You guys are breaking the law.

S-

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, the Family Pack allows up to 5 Apple computers in a household, owned by family members living in the same household, to have the software installed.

That's a lot different than the "the whole family can use it."

S-

16. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I buy single use packs because I only have one mac. I'm hoping to get another mac soon though so it'll be family packs from then on out.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Family pack. Apple has found the correct price point to eliminate the majority of theft. Just because most everyone else hasn't caught on...

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If you voted for the last one you're on the long list of people I owe a punch in the face to.

19. rjgonzales macrumors regular

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's hard to justify buying a copy for each and every machine - especially ones purchased in Sept., Oct & November. At least as far as iLife goes. Bought enough Apple crap that any guilt has long since faded to realism. Think there's a $39 "upgrade fee" for aholes like me who actually bought retail 4-6-8? Nope, full $'s for each and every version. Don't rip em, torrent em, or pass them around but will load it on my iMac and MBA and MBP. They're all MY computers running my legally purchased software for my use.

Now if I was loading it up on kids computers or not my own personal, I may buy a family pack.:rolleyes:

22. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Sidewinder, is it possible for me to now upgrade to a family pack? As a college student who has blown almost all of her savings on grad school applications (not to mention textbooks and tuition), I can't afford to buy a new copy of a single-user (or single-use) version. Should I just delete the programs off of one of my computers to be within the law? In the future, I shall read the entire license agreements before buying the software, that way I don't get confused by Apple's employees.

23. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

Maybe a debate for another thread but I would love to see Apple introduce a proper upgrade system for users who already own previous copies of iLife / iWork etc, compared to those who have never purchased.

I know they do the up to date system and upgrades for Aperture, but IMO it should be expanded.

I've purchased iLife 09 despite owning iLife 08 and now I've used it I don't think there's enough new content to justify £70. A first time purchaser would receive iDVD and iWeb. An upgrader receives (essentially) the same versions of each. An upgrade price of - say - £40 would make it fairer to existing users meaning they weren't paying for software they already owned.

24. pprior macrumors 65816

I am very happy to pay for the family pack. I am thankful for apple not to gouge pricing for multiple machines at home and find their pricing very reasonable.

All the warez kiddies say all the time how they're just doing it because they're getting ripped off by the man, well there is no excuse for pirating Apple software because they make it very affordable for family use.

25. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Legally purchased but illegally installed if installed on more than one system at a time.

Justify it how you will. But, if you wrote software for a living, I bet you wouldn't feel the same way about it. Do condone people stealing from you?

S-