Poll ... do you lock your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Sep 11, 2008.

?

Do you lock your iPhone?

1. Yes

80 vote(s)
    42.8%
  2. No

94 vote(s)
    50.3%
  3. Half of the time yes, and half of the time no.

13 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

No, I don't lock mine. If people *really* wanna find out that I have a Physics lab Thursdays at 12:30, more power to 'em.

4. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Hello little boy. Where do you go to school?

Lol.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I lock my phone, mainly to bug my coworker as he likes to play with mine when he comes in my office. I guess it's good practice too, but I've never done it with any of my other phones before it.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What does that mean, half of the time?

Are people really going in and out of the settings and turning that thing on and off all the time? I wouldn't think there would be anyone voting for that.

A better poll might be, no, yes, yes after 15 min, and yes after 1 hour. (Or whatever the times are.)

I have mine set to lock after 1 hour. Is that secure? I dunno...kind of, I guess. But I answered 'yes' on the poll, which is the same as someone who locks instantly. It doesn't seem like I should be in the same category with someone like that.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

My iPhone is my life, but my life isn't my iPhone :p.

There's nothing that important on my iPhone that isn't public on the internet, I don't think.

I'm more concerned about the stolen phone rather than the stolen data.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I have it lock after 5 minutes. This minimizes any annoyance to me, but if it's stolen/lost, it will probably lock my private data/passwords away from strangers. A good compromise.

(Note that if you have it lock after 5 minutes, you're still free to sleep manually and re-wake within 5 minutes and not need the code again. And you're still free to not have it auto-sleep at all--in which case the code will be needed next time you manually hit sleep. The code system really does work well I think. Now with self-erasing!)

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Ditto..and you can double tap the home button while it is locked to access ipod controls. Locking it is smart but make sure you have contact info on your wallpaper so if someone does find it, they can contact you.

10. V8toytruck macrumors newbie

My emails, contacts, photos, conversations, text messages...HELL YES I will lock my phone. Whoever ends up with my phone will hopefully have a paper weight.

It takes 1-2 seconds to enter in your pin.

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yes I do, but I have it set for either 1 hour or 4 hours. I'm still deciding.

And it has the added bonus of being able to charge off of another person's computer without triggering a sync. Even if it isn't locked at the time, the existence of a passcode lock means that it will always ask for the password when attached to a computer other than its "home computer."

I have several friends with iPhones, and if I'm over there or vice versa, we can charge from the wall or computer without any hassle.

13. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Excellent Point! I actually used my label-maker to put my name and phone number on the back of my phone, underneath the rubber InCase. But you are right, having contact info on your wallpaper is the best idea.
    (For every crooked person out there in the world, there is a handful of honest people that would return the phone)

14. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Excellent Idea!
    Is there a way that I can lock my phone from syncing (except home comp), but not have the passcode on to use the phone?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't keep state secrets on my iPhone. There is nothing on there that I wouldn't want anyone else to see.

16. Jeremy W macrumors regular

The only reason I have a password on my iPhone is because it's required in order for Exchange 2003 to enforce security policies. I have the timeout set at the maximum of 4 hours, so I only have to put in the password when I wake up in the morning.

17. Pamani macrumors regular

Pamani

18. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I lock my phone because I don't want any one reading my emails. Otherwise I don't really care about the other information on my phone. I don't store anything too personal. I wish there was a way to set a master password for the mail program on the iPhone, that way I could keep it unlocked and still keep my mail secured.

19. movieboy23 macrumors regular

i rarely text and the subject lines of 1/2 the emails i get are all very crude. plus, i have no one of societal important on my phone, so, I dont lock it.

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

If he has a physics lab to go to, he's obviously not a little boy.

21. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I don't passcode-protect my iPhone. It is always within my reach except at home.

22. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Like Jeremy, when I don't want to bother with the lock, I put it at four hours. That way I only have to enter the passcode when I wake up. Try that.

But yeah, that's the best thing for me, not worrying about inadvertently syncing with another computer. I mean, I don't want anyone getting my info either, but that's theoretical; the sync issue is a several times a week real-world convenience. :p

23. Surely Guest

Surely

So.... you start a thread, and then attempt to insult the second person that posts after you? You're cool.

I miss my university Physics labs.......

And no, I don't lock my iPhone.

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its a joke about pedophiles i'd imagine

As for the OP, no i don't lock my phone too time consuming to be entering passwords

25. Jeremy W macrumors regular

Ah, the old joke about the pedophile in the physics lab. It's a classic.