[POLL] Do you own a Blu-Ray player?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, May 7, 2011.

?

Do you own a Blu-Ray player?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    45.6%
  1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Do you own a Blu-Ray player? If so, why did you get one instead of sticking with DVD?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, because Blu-ray makes DVD look like VHS.

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Remember to vote in the poll :D

4. mljones99 macrumors regular

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a Bly ray player as I have a PS3, but I don't have any Bly ray disks

6. Henry Spencer macrumors newbie

I have a PS3... so yea... but i mean, I don't even own a HD tv so it's pretty useless right now.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Another PS3 user here. Didn't buy it for the blue ray, only watched one bluray in it. I mainly stream/watch HD videos online :)

8. Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

Not currently, no...might get a BD-ROM drive from my desktop sometime in the future, perhaps.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yet another PS3 owner here. Sometimes used for watching rented Blu-Rays but nowadays I mainly watch downloaded Blu-Ray rips (we don't have to go through that piracy discussions again, please).

10. Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

How dare you cheat Hollywood out of a tiny smidgen of their precious profits. You monster.

:D

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

DVD isn't HD.

I actually own three. Started off with external drive for Boot Camp/PowerDVD, then a standard Sony player, then the PS3.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I voted no. But not because I'm one of the crowd that hates 1080p, super high quality videos because "Steve Jobs said so", but because I can't afford one right now. I'll happily buy when I can.

13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Nope.

The difference between VHS and DVD is massive.
    The difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is nowhere
    near as obvious.

If Blu-Ray was really the next big thing then why are they only taking
    around 50% of the Player market despite being really cheap these days?
    DVD players still account for over half of all player sales.

Blu-Ray is a fail, downloads will destroy it over the next 2 years.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Either your TV or eyesight sucks, since the difference is like day and night.

Source?

Tell that to ISPs. You won't be downloading or streaming much with a sub-10Mb/s connection, let alone if you have a download cap. I would also like to know where can you legally download or stream video that is as good quality as Blu-Ray.

This is probably the billionth time this is being discussed here. The truth is, they can and will coexist, and there is nothing wrong with that. Yeah, streaming/downloading will probably become more common but it doesn't mean that physical media is dead. CDs are still being sold even though you have been able to download them for years

15. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Just to add some figures:

NTSC DVD has ~2.9x the definition of NTSC VHS
    BD has 6x the definition of NTSC DVD

It's all subjective, depending on the TV you're using, how far away you are etc. However, saying there's no difference between DVD and BD is just beyond ignorant.

Please show me somewhere where 1080p movies at 20mbit+ bitrates with lossless sound can be obtained (legally), then I will agree with you that bluray is redundant. Until then, 720p w /AC3 is not a substitute, there will always be a market for BD.

16. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Fine, so why exactly is Blu-Ray failing to dominate the market then?
    And if YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST you would see that at NO POINT did I say there was no difference between DVD and Blu-Ray just that it wasn`t like the MASSIVE leap from VHS.

Perhaps it`s YOUR eyes that need checking.

To say the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is Night and Day is just ridiculous.

Flame on...time will prove me right, as the sales figures already are :rolleyes:

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You still haven't even backed up your claim that DVD players sell as much as BR players do...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Rules_for_Appropriate_Debate

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No. I'm fine with DVDs at the moment. Don't watch many movies anyway.

Are you blind? The difference is astronomical.

It took well over five years for DVD to become more used than VHS. And downloads are no where near to beating Blu-Ray. Have you seen the size of the iTunes HD movie files? Pitiful compared to the amount stored on Blu-ray and DVDs. And yet it still takes over half a day to download.

19. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I can't believe I voted yes, I don't even have a blu-ray player. Whoops :eek:

I don't see any reason to upgrade to Blu-Ray. I don't have a problem watching things in SD or DVD quality, and even if I wanted Blu-Ray quality I don't even have a HD TV anywhere so I'd have to get a new player and a new TV and frankly, it can't be afforded or justified at the moment. Ah well, i'm really not too bothered :)

20. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It depends on the content, authoring, etc.

Here's a comparison between BD and DVD (I also did VHS for the lulz). I still think that that's a pretty significant difference.

EDIT: Crap, resize 'em all doesn't anti-alias when scaling, comparison void :/

21. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I gotta say the difference between DVD and BD in your post was pretty big. I'm clearly used to watching the DVD quality. But when I'm watching, I don't think 'ugh this looks bad', I just enjoy the content :)

22. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Have a 42inch TV, have not noticed any quality difference between Blu Ray and my upscaling DVD player. Bigger difference i noticed was switching from Scart to HDMI.
    Colour and image sharpness i would be really hard pressed to notice any major change.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I bought a Sony HD TV and Sony Blu Ray player on Boxing day sale ... very happy :cool:

24. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Nope. I'm sticking with DVDs for now. Mainly because blu rays are a bit to costly and most of the people I know don't have a blu ray player and I'm not lugging a player around.

But I have yet to actually watch a blu ray so when I finally do maybe it will be good enough to switch over.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's because our brains are very good at filling in the gaps. Comparisons like that one are only good for showing differences in resolution.

For the original question, I don't own one yet but my wife and I always buy the BluRay combos when buying movies (maybe 2 a year). The rest of the time we Netflix what we want to watch.