Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone cycle do you prefer - iPhone number of iPhone s

• iPhone number

• iPhone S

• I don't mind - whichever is the new one

Results are only viewable after voting.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Hi guys, a couple of weeks ago I swapped my iPhone 5c for a 6s and got interested in the Apple's tick and tock release cycles for the iPhone. I've always thought the iPhone number is the more popular one but I read some articles (including the Verge review), claiming that 'Apple says S iPhones actually sell better and last longer in the marketplace than non-S iPhones'.

I personally feel that the S iPhones are getting all the internal (for me important) updates, but many people prefer the non-s iPhone, just because they value more the design change - everyone can see you got the new iPhone! What do you guys think?

EDIT: just saw that there were a couple of other similar threads but I figure that the 6s release may have changed your mind

Last edited:

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I like the number cycle... Even though I used to get every single one, I'm sticking to the number because it "feels" more like a new phone :p

Reactions: eyoungren

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
S Cycle in general for me. As long as that includes the SE, which to date is my favorite iPhone.

I've had most of the previous models, but it's always been the S versions that I've been happiest with, as not only is the form refined (antenna bands from 4 to 4s, finish improvements from 5 to 5s, bending issues fixed from 6 to 6s), but the function is also far better from improved internals.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Whichever one is the latest one. I've upgraded for the performance and the camera improvements, since aesthetically speaking, Apple has phoned it in lately. The 6S looks exactly like the 6, and the SE is identical to the 5S. Their design team could've taken a 2 year vacation, because it certainly didn't take more than 5 minutes to design their battery hump case.

Reactions: emporiky

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…but many people prefer the non-s iPhone, just because they value more the design change - everyone can see you got the new iPhone!
^^^This.

I prefer a new design every two years. And yeah, everyone will know who has the new design and who's got last year's "S" model. And when the new 'S' model comes out no one will know I DON'T have the 'S' model without inspecting it.

I'm shallow that way. Sorry.

PS. The 'S' model in my signature is a fluke. Last year involved upgrading (on the numbered path) and porting out from an old carrier to the new. I'm not normally on the 'S' model upgrade path.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The last two years I bough the S model although this year, I bought the 6+, 6S and the 6S+. For the 5, I just bought the 5S.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
I've been on number cycles but the 6+ has been such a miserable experience that I've gone to 6S+. It's my first 'S' phone and I love it. Will probably go 7S seeing as how S models get the best internals.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm on the non-s cycle as it provides the biggest changes. Since I took the plunge on the SE, I'm not sure what that will do now.

Well, it's like this
Original iPhone - amazing
3G - good upgrade
3GS - lasted a lot longer on the market than 3G
4 - had antenna-gate issues
4S - fixed above issues lasted a lot longer on the market
5 - good upgrade, still had issues - 5C same tier already dying off quickly.
5S - still a great phone
6 - good upgrade
6S - better upgrade, will most likely be on the market way longer than the 6

iPad - amazing
iPad 2 (S) - still on the market
iPad 3 - quickly replaced with ..
iPad 4 (S)
iPad Air - Great device
iPad Air 2 (S) - way better device
iPad Pro - best device so far
iPad Pro 2 (S)- will include all the features implemented so far and will probably add more and be a higher powered device

Also if you look at the benchmarks for iPad every non-S model were very limited, the big jump was going to the S model.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I'm on the Number Cycle, but it's not on purpose. I just happen to get an iPhone 3G in 2008 and upgraded every 2 years (because of the contracts). Honestly, the S cycle is probably the better phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
S-class

You can always sell your iPhone every year and it doesn't matter. Even though iOS isn't RAM hungry, l like the model with the earliest jump in RAM like the iPhone 5 and 6s. But s does last longer because the numbered one isn't refined yet in that casing and deals with whatever - gate. Used for the superficial guinea pigs who want to look cool with a NEW iPhone. Apple does trial and error before correcting them the following year while also saving costs using the same exterior.

I realized this with Sony doing multiple future revisions of their PlayStation series that many companies need to revise and refine. The two-year new design cycle should start being common. Being the early bird like paying for overpriced and crappy launch titles doesn't always catch the worm in tech. As seen with the S7 edge refining the S6 edge, sometimes it is ok to wait another year for the refinements.

Reactions: mildocjr

emporiky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Whichever one is the latest one. I've upgraded for the performance and the camera improvements, since aesthetically speaking, Apple has phoned it in lately. The 6S looks exactly like the 6, and the SE is identical to the 5S. Their design team could've taken a 2 year vacation, because it certainly didn't take more than 5 minutes to design their battery hump case.

Best post of the day :D

I had a look at the threads willmtaylor mentioned and funnily enough threads started in 's' year are favourable to the 's' phones, while threads in 'non-s' years are more favourable to the 'non-s' phones.
So I guess whichever is latest wins....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.