Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you Skin or Case your MacBook?

• Total voters

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't currently use either, just a sleeve for transporting (Incase Slim Sleeve). I don't care for cases because of the bulk they add, and the possible damage from debris getting stuck between the computer and case. But if a good skin comes along, I would certainly be interested.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I've got the black carbon fiber skin from Slickwraps on my 2016 Space Grey 15" MBP. I especially like the grippy, yet slick feeling on the wrist rest and trackpad area. Pics can be found on the stickied case thread (post #3879 )

Reactions: Rebibug

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have had a long line of Apple laptops going back to 2009. I had a white MB, 2011 MBA 11" & 13", 2011 15" MBP, and now 2016 13" MBP.

My personal opinion a sleeve is added protection when traveling in a bag. A cheap insurance.

I used many hard cases but never really satisfied. I usually remove the top portion after a short period because of the added weight on the top and it takes away from the beauty of the laptop. but I do like the added protection on the bottom covering the rubber feet. I wish they only sold bottom portions.

I used a iCarbon skin on a MBA and it looked nice but not much protection. Again I like the feet covered so when I am out in the field putting the laptop on a unclean surface I feel better it is contacting the plastic hard case instead of the actual laptop

As I type this now I have a few sleeves from the past I use when putting it in a bag. I bought a iBlason

https://www.amazon.com/Macbook-i-Blason-Rubberized-13-inch-Release/dp/B01MPYI8SA/ref=sr_1_6?
ie=UTF8&qid=1484108127&sr=8-6&keywords=macbook+pro+2016+13+inch+case

hard cover but I just took off the top and am only using the bottom. I recently pitched a few speck cases I had on previous laptops and I was only using the bottom of those as well.

So my personal belief is everyone should have a sleeve, it can be cheap investment. Hard Covers take away the simplicity but bottom protection is nice. Skins are just Artistic expression.

Reactions: johan.vdmerwe

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York
I want to skin the new 15" I bought, but I'm looking to find a skin that's really hard to notice. Most of the ones I see really seem to have some kind of design, which isn't in and of itself bad looking, but I just want something that fights tightly to protect from dust and scratches without altering the look of the device itself much.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I dont have a pro i use regularly.

but my macbook has a clip on case and keyboard silicone cover.

31KzepCEWtL.jpg

I have a clear case, but black shows up better for illustration.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I refuse to buy a 'luxury' design of a product and then stick a $10 piece of plastic on it. So no, I do not skin it. I don't have a case on my iPhone or iPad either for the same reason.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I want to skin the new 15" I bought, but I'm looking to find a skin that's really hard to notice. Most of the ones I see really seem to have some kind of design, which isn't in and of itself bad looking, but I just want something that fights tightly to protect from dust and scratches without altering the look of the device itself much.

Best Skins Ever
Matte - nearly invisible
http://www.bestskinsever.com/

And I use an Acme Made sleeve
https://www.acmemade.com/

Reactions: Rebibug

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
I've had a red Speck case on my early 2011 MBP since the day I bought it. Coincidentally, I noticed there weren't too many (any?) cases for the 15" late 2016s... that may or may not have influenced my decision to buy one.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I use a lightweight semi-clear case. It has a rubbery feel and makes the unit less slippery. It also has gotten several gouges, so I am glad the case took the beating, instead of the aluminum.

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I boughr sleeve and a plastic economic case for my 15".
I think will return the sleev because is the best for protect macbook touch but too big and heavy.
Plastic cover is good and same size (it is as iphone cover)

Patrick-Photo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Got a Dbrand skin for my SG 15"... Though I'd try that. Looks amazing and protects the bottom from scratches :).

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
No, it's too pretty to cover with a skin or case. :D Mine is primarily used at home, but if taking it out I would carry it in a protective sleeve or briefcase.

Reactions: thesaint024

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Mine does get protected by a layer of dust and grease, and if I need to put it in a bag to transport it where it might come into contact with something that could scratch it I put it in a sleeve.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
It puts the lotion on its iCarbons, or else it gets the hosing again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.