Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Invisible Mode?

• Total voters

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Nope. I don't even conceal my real name. I even have published my kids' names online. People are generally much too paranoid about privacy online.

Until you find out how annoying and unsettling it is to be stalked online. I was rather blasé about online privacy until I learned that valuable lesson. I'm certainly not a hermit on the interwebs even still, but it's made me think a bit more about the stuff we put on the net. So yeah, maybe I am a bit paranoid but it's for good reason. There are a lot of twunts out there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have but not for any specific reason really. I did it when I was on vacation and forgot to turn it off. I could care less who sees me, documents where I am, or informs me they know what I am up to. I mean as far as MR goes. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use it when I'm post whoring so people don't wonder why I've been on for 20 hours straight.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Until you find out how annoying and unsettling it is to be stalked online. I was rather blasé about online privacy until I learned that valuable lesson. I'm certainly not a hermit on the interwebs even still, but it's made me think a bit more about the stuff we put on the net. So yeah, maybe I am a bit paranoid but it's for good reason. There are a lot of twunts out there.

Too true. You learn quickly how hard it is to hide on the internet when someone decides to be interested in you...

I like to at least keep my usernames and identities on different sites separate so I can hide on one site and not have to think about hiding on other sites. The Invisible feature can be helpful there.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
No, since I have no reason for it. I'm glad the option exists though.

Umm... no.
Why would I need to?
It's not like this is myspace or facebook.

Refer back to a post or two above yours and you will find that some people do need it due to unfortunate occurrences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.