Poll: Do you want to see the home button eliminated?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snow blind, Feb 28, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the home button on the next iteration of the iPad?

1. Keep it! I see no need to get rid of it.

88 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. Keep it... only if there is no "smart bezel".

36 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Get rid of it! Gestures are good enough for me!

50 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. snow blind macrumors regular

Do you want to, or see the need to see the home button removed from the next iteration of the iPad? Some say take it out as it eventually seems to fail on all devices... others say no need and Apple will implement a better, improved home button.

What do you think?

2. VinceDae macrumors regular

I Would like to keep it... I dont own a iPad now, but if its the same as on a iPhone - I would like to take screenshots (quick press on sleep and home) and hardboot it (long press sleep and home)

Maybe thats just me? :)

3. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

Apple needs to keep it there for less experienced users.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This is a very important function of the home button. Unless this function get's replaced by something else, then the home button cannot be removed.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Maybe Im being naive, but I trust that if they remove it they've got a good plan on how to replace/increase functionality with other commands/buttons. And to be honest, I've never felt a center bottom button to be very convenient.

7. snow blind thread starter macrumors regular

This is the reason i think they will keep it. Id love to see it go in favor of a combination of gestures and some smartly implemented bezel.

The hard resets and screen shots could be activated via holdig down the power button/sleep wake button and the up volume button for example.

8. the-colombian macrumors newbie

It would be cool if the made a gesture area like webOS devices.

9. VinceDae macrumors regular

hmm....

Option 2 and 4 are the same just in different words? :p lol

10. snow blind thread starter macrumors regular

haha crap, ya got me there! Lol

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I could see making it level with the screen glass (no dip) and making it touch sensitive. It could then accept taps and swipes while still letting you physically click it if you wanted to, much like Apple's trackpads.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I removed #4 and moved votes from #4 to #2.

13. snow blind thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much! :)

14. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I'm not fussed whether there's a home button or not, but I'm not a fan of the 'smart bezel' idea

15. Eves apple macrumors member

Either way I'm not overly bothered but it can be quite annoying sometimes, replacing it with a better button would be just as appealing as a smart bezel.

16. iNotion macrumors regular

iNotion

I will answer this question after I get my iPad3.. ha~

17. Cobster macrumors member

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

1st eliminate such posts, then we can talk about the home button!

19. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Maybe...just maybe...I mean bear with me here:

Apple just photoshopped out the home button in the invite because they thought it would look more sleek? Or because they thought including it would draw away from the invites main focus (the screen, the place, date, and keynote). It's not unheard of for companies to alter the picture in advertising to make it look better.

20. urkel, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Its also not unheard of for Apple to remove functionality in favor of aesthetics. ;)

As iconic as the center button is, it isnt very comfortable and it's function is jumbled with commands being poured on top of it. So I'm all in favor of change if it will result in things like Siri or Task Switching being optimized for practical use.

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I've had two iPhones now where the home button has acted more and more wonky over time. Mechanical buttons need to go. They just simply wear out the more they get used.

I feel that the iPad home button is a little more well constructed than the iPhone/iPod home button, but still, I'd like to see it go away.

22. snow blind thread starter macrumors regular

Give this guy a prize. We all know that is the most likely explanation (or it's upside down and the camera is removed via post processing)as it would visually clash with the area they put the text in. This is a poll/thread questioning: "If you think it should go or stay"... you provide nothing. Thanks for playing.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I agree. It would be foolish for Apple to remove the home button. Even though it's not needed other than to wake up the iPad if it doesn't have a smart cover, I think if Apple wants to continue to reach the masses it should remain. It is still in keeping with the minimalist nature of Apple products. I would bet that there is still only a small percentage of users who even use the gestures that became available with ios5. To expect grandma to pick up the four finger swipe or the five finger swipe is a stretch. The button is completely intuitive.

24. bmacir macrumors 6502