Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the new iMac look better with an Apple logo?

• I can't decide

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 108 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 78 37.7%

• Total voters

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Using the 2015 15" MBP, without any logo or name on the bezel, I love the new iMac design without any "advertising"....

Looking at the light colored gray bezels, it seems to project a more cleaner, open design.

Compare it to my 24" ACD connected to the M1 iMac - has black bezels - so dated and so closed in looking:
View attachment 1790748
That ACD really does look good next to that dowdy M1 iMac. The iMac looks almost embarrassed to be in the same room with such a great looking piece of kit.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
It looks so much better with that beautiful logo. The huge chin doesn't look that empty and unnecessary with it.
LMAO this is comical. The chin has been complained about for many years. Having an Apple there didn't change the same complaining the new one is getting without one.

Last edited:

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have to admit when the new iMac was released I was very surprised by the design. With iPads and iPhones losing their bezels and chins, I was certain the new iMac would have followed the same design. When first announced, I really disliked the look.

After watching a lot of reviews on the new iMac, and seeing it in comparison to the Intel iMac, my opinion has changed quite a bit. The lighter bezel does seem to blend in well with most backgrounds and looks very nice when compared to the black bezels on the previous iMac (though the Intel iMacs did have quite large bezels which may be partly the reason).

The missing logo on the chin, though not a big deal, would have helped break up the chin a little and possibly prevent it from sticking out so much.

Overall, the new iMac looks like a great machine and I actually really like the design choices they made (though I did not at first).

Reactions: ikir

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
The chin is ugly with or without a logo. Here's the 24" with an oversized logo (I found the sticker in the 27" iMac box while trading in old iMac and tossing the box) to match its oversized logo on the back.

IMG_1212.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

Reactions: ikir

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I saw a silver one in Costco. TBH looked beautiful looking forwards to the larger unit.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
The chin is ugly with or without a logo. Here's the 24" with an oversized logo (I found the sticker in the 27" iMac box while trading in old iMac and tossing the box) to match its oversized logo on the back.

View attachment 1793340
It's interesting how to the old one actually manages to look thinner and better from side and back. I'm still a big fan of the old design with the rounded back and razor thin sides. That was really clever design engineering.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think it looks better with a logo, but that’s because I’m biased and like Apple and its logo. I don’t think they need the front logo for it be recognized anymore. Plus, if this was some 3rd party monitor I would hate have “ASUS” or something staring me down all day so I’m fine with the removal.

Reactions: za9ra22

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's interesting how to the old one actually manages to look thinner and better from side and back. I'm still a big fan of the old design with the rounded back and razor thin sides. That was really clever design engineering.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the larger variant actually takes some cues from the pre-2012 redesign where it had a curved bulge, but also flat sides (it was much thicker). While the 2021 revision would obviously be much thinner than the 2011, they have to add thickness for a greater selection of ports on the higher-end model and I think adding a curve bulge would look better than just making the slab thicker, but that’s just me.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I work all day on a 2017 MacBook Air. It has huge silver/aluminum bezels. Never bothered me. Not once.

Of course, that's me and I understand the new gray bezels on iMac may not work for some people. And I get that as tech improves we have the opportunity to drastically reduce the bezel size. But I think for vast majority, we get used to things quickly over a short transition period. Heck, I would bet that a large percentage of people wouldn't even notice the bezels if it was not mentioned to them.

As for the logo on front, I wouldn't mind for it to say "iMac" on the front, just like my MacBook Air does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.