Poll: Dropped call issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tommyp, Aug 15, 2008.

1. tommyp macrumors newbie

I wanted to try to gauge the percentage of people who are having problems with the dropped call issue that is being reported all over the web. Is it a large or small percentage? If you don't mind posting your location and whether or not you are experiencing a lot of dropped calls, those of us who are just about to take the plunge into an iPhone purchase can determine whether or not to wait a little while.

I have talked to 5 people in the north Dallas area who have reported no problems with the 3G connection/dropped call issue.

Tom

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I'm in SoCal--Southern LA County/Northern OC

On 3G, no dropped calls, even with one bar. On 2G, I've had one. But I'm rarely out of 3G range, thankfully.

3. GNice macrumors 6502

Got my phone on launch day and haven't had any drop call issues at all :D. I live in Raleigh-Durham area of NC.

4. xjohnx macrumors newbie

I'm having them fairly regularly in Richmond, VA.

5. TJB627 macrumors newbie

^^No way, I'm also in Raleigh and I probably get one per day.

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Toronto, Ontario.

3G on Fido.

No dropped calls.

7. GNice macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I'm not having any problems...seriously. :cool:

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Same, but my 3g is off... does that make a difference?

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

I am on my third phone, and still get dropped calls occasionally when 3G is trying to pass off to Edge. Very annoying.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

For me, all I've noticed is slightly-not-as-good battery life on 3G (and maybe better voice quality).

I leave it on 3G so that, when the mood strikes, I can just go online.

12. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

At home in STL, dropped calls whenever I try to use 3g. At work, it doesn't drop.

Both on EDGE and 3G, trying to make calls often gives a "CALL FAILED" message, even with 5 bars, which eventually clears after up to 40 retries. I think there's some problem with recognizing busy signals... it's happened a lot when I try to call a line, and I find out it was busy, but instead of giving the usual busy tones, the phone just says the call failed.

13. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I've had my iPhone 3G for a month and had just a couple of dropped calls. Those happened on the same location, so I assume it's a bad signal reception around there. I live in Seattle, WA.

14. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Not untill yesterday. I was driving and the call I was on got dropped 5 times. This in a well 3g'd area. :eek:

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

0 dropped calls since July 11 here in Denver.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Fort Worth , Tx and have had no dropped calls on my 3G phone.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Seattle, WA
    3 dropped calls, within 5 min of each other.

18. claybo macrumors newbie

with my old att phone i had dropped calls all the time in my house, which is basically represented by the verizon dead zone commercial...but once i got my iphone i have had zero dropped calls

19. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

my phone drops calls like no other. Sometimes, I cant even get a call connected and it'll fail about 10 times before it finally rings... then 20 seconds into the conversation it fails again. It worked perfect for a couple weeks after I got the phone, and may be coincidental, but seem to have turned for the worse after the 2.0.1 update. Its EXTREMELY annoying considering I very very rarely had dropped calls on my 1st gen iphone. ugh. :mad:

Im in orange county.

20. rannddeee macrumors regular

i love my iPhone but I get like maybe 3-5 dropped calls a week.

i switched from T-Mobile and thought i was upgrading reception. boy was i wrong! :eek:

21. JonBean macrumors newbie

Not just the big cities

Call AT&T and they say they're not having problems. Try restarting your phone, they say. It's said the problems are minor and only in Major Metro Areas. Bull. Ogden, Utah is not a major market!

After spending most of the day playing telephone tag with a company, I finally got to my party. Just as we began discussing the subject the phone died. For a moment I could hear him but as with my other dropped calls the connection was finally lost. The iPhone logged it as a failed call and displayed a return call icon. I WAS IN A 3G, five bar location seated at a table.

I have until September 1, to return my phone to AT&T. It will go back if Apple does not come up with a reliable fix before my 30 day return policy expires!

Jon B

22. powermixx macrumors member

I have a TON of dropped calls - numerous ones EFD (every day). Mostly when at my workplace and home, but several outside as well. And inability to make a call, it just beeps when I try to dial out. Very disappointed in the service.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I thought this was a poll??? Where are the little radio buttons to vote?! =P

I'm in Dallas as well and I have no 3G related dropped calls that I'm aware of, but I just have random dropped calls because AT&T sucks in general.

24. daniels macrumors member

Small town in central Texas, close to Austin. I've had my iPhone for 3 days and I've had 4 dropped calls. Two other family members here have 3G AT&T phones and they've never had a dropped call.