Poll for Switchers: Are you still waiting for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrat93, Apr 12, 2007.

?

Switchers, are you still waiting?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2007.
  1. Yes, VIVA LA LEOPARD!

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Screw it, I'm not waiting anymore...

40 vote(s)
    75.5%
  1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Since last year, I've been waiting for Leopard to buy my first Mac. We all know that Apple has delayed the operating systen for October. This poll is for people who wanted to buy their FIRST Mac this Spring.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'll speak on behalf of my Parents, they will not be waiting for Leopard. Viva la Santa Rosa!

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes I am still waiting for Leopard. But not to buy new hardware.

4. EngBrian macrumors regular

I am waiting until summer hoping for the student free ipod with purchase deal. But I will likely not wait until October. I have been waiting since before MWSF and I give up.

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I was thinking of doing that too. I might still do that if there is a promotion. Does anybody think there's a possibility that soon, Apple will say, "Due to the delay of our new operating systen, Mac OS 10.5 Leopard, anybody who purchases a Mac today to the release of Leopard will get a free upgrade when it is released." Didn't they do that with Mac OS 10.1 or something? That would be a good announcement at WWDC.

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I think Apple knows there are so many people holding off purchasing, that to delay now will result in people buying their new Macbooks anyway, with the intention of purchasing a copy of Leopard separately later.

result = extra income for Apple!

7. Stratification macrumors regular

Guess I'd be under not waiting since I already ordered earlier this week and my new Macbook is waiting for me at home :D

8. CV4 macrumors member

I personally can't wait because for myself, along with a fair amount of people, I will need this laptop for university, making October too late for me. Now I am just going to wait for an update of the MBPs with Santa Rosa and then buy.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Leopard or not, I'm holding out for an updated GPU on the MBP's

10. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

I was waiting on OS X 10.5 but now there is now point I need mine by June 1st. So I am hoping by then atleast Santa Rosa comes out.

11. PharmD macrumors 6502

I'm sooooooo glad I bought my MBP last week and didn't wait after hearing this news.

12. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Don't Buy A Mac Yet!!!

Leopard is delayed. It appears extremely likely that there will be major advances in user interface. Most bets are on multitouch and touchscreen.

Leopard may run fine on today's Macs and Macbooks, but if you buy a mac today, you WILL NOT be able to take advantage of the amazing new interface features the new hardware will bring.

Apple is betting you will buy a SECOND new Mac at that time to take advantage of these great new interface features. DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Don't believe me? We'll see if Apple is willing to promise that 100% of Leopard's features will function on today's iMac and MacBooks. I am certain they won't. If they did, lots of people would buy a Mac today. Why wouldn't Apple make that promise?

13. alana22 macrumors regular

I don't know, but the whole "touch screen" thing never really fascinated me all that much. I know for some people it is really exciting, but smudges on my screen don't thrill me, and I love the feel of a Macbook keyboard. Touchscreen makes sense on a phone... not so much on a laptop. Just my opinion.

14. joachim macrumors member

I'm skeptical with that comment you made. Leopard is supposed to improve the 8-core Mac that's currently selling now. If anything is true about your statement, Leopard will take advantage of newer GPUs, and if a touch-screen will be out (which I doubt), then new displays. Otherwise, I doubt Apple would piss off any more consumers by selling vastly obsolete computers a week before Leopard ships.

As for myself, I was planning on buying my first ever Mac at the end of May, and I probably will still do it unless I feel the need to wait until WWDC. I'll be happy with Tiger. Anything but Windows, please.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:rolleyes: newbies.

16. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

PC Newbies that make up 90%+ share of computer users. We are looking to switch to Mac... and Apple Computer (oops) I mean Apple, Inc isn't making it easy.

Hope the telephone is worth it.

17. joachim macrumors member

It's people like you that I hope don't make the switch :p

18. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

I have been sitting on the sidelines using a 6 year old PC pentium 3.. I can not wait until october.. going to buy a macbook to hold me over until the new imacs come out with the new OS.. then either sell the macbook on eBay or give it to my kids... oh well.. enough is enough.

19. elbruelsio macrumors member

Waiting is stupid

I bought my first Mac 3 weeks ago. I was happy with the decision then and I'm even happier now.

If you expect people to wait another 6 months to buy a Mac, you're crazy. If you play the waiting game, then its never the right time to buy a computer, or a tv, or a car, or a *insert name of product that is constantly improved upon here*.

20. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I was specifically waiting for Leopard to come out, then I'd buy my Mac Pro, but October? No way, I'll buy my (first ever) Mac in about 2 months and buy Leopard whenever it comes out. I'm not running Windows any longer than I have to :)

-Bryan

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

22. richkent72 macrumors regular

I'm waiting for the next design of iMacs to come out which I hope will be before October. Getting a new OS with it would be preferable to having to pay seperately, but it's not going to stop me switching from Windows.

23. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

I am concerned that Apple is taking on to much than it can cope with. Having to move people off their Vista kicking OS therefore making it delayed is a poor show! Don't get me wrong, i appreciate why they have done it but it appears that the decision had to come as they have bitten off more than they can chew!

I wonder if this workload will spread to a delay on hardware updates? Maybe Apple will decide to upgrade everything and release Leopard at the same time to make a big bang to make up for the poor show of delaying!?

I think those of us waiting for Santa Rosa maybe worth waiting until WWDC07 to see what Steve has to say about Leopard and whether all its features will run on existing hardware etc.

I think that even if SR comes out before WWDC07 I will hold off and see...

EDIT: Not only that but Apple claim Leopard will be finalised by WWDC but they want to take June - October for what then? Thats a long beta test for something supposedly finished.

24. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I don't know what I am going to do now and so I didn't vote on the poll.
    If the next iMacs come with something cool or some proper improvement, I'll buy one then, possibly.

I'll probably just end up buying in October. I don't really want to buy a Tiger iMac and then have to pay for a new iLife and Leopard when I could buy 2, possibly even close to 3GB of RAM for that.

25. civilizedrat macrumors regular

I can't believe hearing people express that they'd be willing to wait until October to buy or, worse, all the way to MWSF '08. This, albeit the ultimate example of Apple-allegiance, is absolutely ridiculous! So, you wait... and then what? There'd always be something ELSE to wait for. It's like a dog trying to catch its tail. Grow up guys.