Poll: How Many iPod Touch Owners Have Had iPod Replaced

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Mar 11, 2009.

?

How Many iPods have you had replaced

1. None, I still have the iPod Touch I bought

71 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. None, but I had to have it repaired

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1-3 iPod Touch's replaced

25 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. 4-6 iPod Touch's replaced

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. 1-3 iPod Touch's replaced, plus additional repairs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 4-6 iPod Touch's replaced, plus additional repairs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7 or more iPod Touch's replaced

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 7 or more iPod Touch's replaced, plus additional repairs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I'm just curious to see how many people have had to have the iPod Touch replaced. I'm wanting to get another iPod Touch, but the first one I had also had problems, so I'm just wondering how many iPod Touch's have had to be replaced, or if it just seems more common than it is.

Also, if you have had to have your iPod Touch replaced, have you or do you own any other iPods and if so did you need to get it replaced as well?

2. ZeroGFrame macrumors newbie

I had my first one replaced after a short time due to the battery draining extremely fast. Since then, I haven't had any problems. But it was a bummer, because my original had engraving, and when they replaced it I lost that.

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i had my old first gen replaced once when 2.0 came out

4. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that really stinks. It's bad when you lose something like that when it isn't a result of something you did, but at least Apple is pretty good at taking care of problems. So many companies are not very helpful if there is a problem, so that is a big plus. I'm really nervous to put the BodyGuardz on my iPod Touch because of possibly having to get it replaced and then losing the cover, but I guess it is better to be out $20 or so instead of the entire iPod.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Was it replaced as a result of a problem with the iPod?

That's good to hear!! Do you have any dead pixels or anything like that?

7. niblum10 macrumors member

no problems

no problems here. had my 32gig 2G for 5 months and couldn't be happier.

8. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Wish I could vote twice.

My 1st Gen will be a year old next week and no problems at all and no dead pixels. I did not upgrade OS to 2.x. I use it a lot as it is auxed into my home stereo.

My 2nd gen is maybe 5 months old and no problems nor dead pixels, although it has been freezing occasionally since 2.2.1.

Mike

9. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, that is always good news to hear. I love the iPod Touch and can't wait to get another one. It is a great product and after I got mine I used it every single day and was using it enough that it needed charged at least once a day.

That's great!

I love to see "None" in the lead. I hear all the time from people about the problems (and I know that the majority of things you hear will be bad because not as many post when something good happens) and then having had a problem myself I was just curious how common problems are with the iPod Touch.

10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

None. I've had my 1G iPod Touch for almost 1 year and 3 months and I haven't had to have it replaced or repaired at all. What's even better is that the only scratches it has are a few on the bezel because it's been in a case or invisible shield since I got it.

11. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's impressive, that is a long time to have a product and not have an problems, really good news.

I always put my electronics in cases, I'm probably a little OCD on that fact and can never seem to find the perfect case. My general rule of thumb is if something gets scratched, it gets replaced, I can't stand having a product with a scratch, or else I end up looking at it all the time and just bothers me like crazy. I already have one of the BodyGuardz for my iPod Touch, but I'm still in search of the perfect case. I'm leaning toward a clear case, I like the looks of a lot of the other cases, but I just prefer clear so you can see the Touch itself, and there just doesn't seem to be a perfect case out there. I'm putting off getting my iPod until I actually find a case for it, it is turning out to be way too hard!

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope.

13. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Geez, are the expectations already that low today? Are you guys really that easy to please or am I missing the joke here? When I buy technology, I expect it to last AT LEAST for three to five years without ANY problems before the first repairs begin. And three years is the absolute tolerable minimum, everything else is garbage and its manufacturer deserves to go bankrupt.

14. JoshJosh117, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

No, my expectations are not that low. I want my technology to last a long time as well. I buy higher end products and always take the best of care of them, so I want them to last a long while (I had a Compaq laptop that I used for five years, everyday, but never took out of the house and was rarely used anywhere on a desk, after five years it just crashed one day, got a Blue Screen of Death and that was it. Took it to get it repaired, spent over $300 to get it fixed, it worked for about a day and then it would turn on at all, so even though it lasted 5 years, I personally didn't think that was long enough) However, as I mentioned, I've seen so many people having problems with their iPod Touch's that it was a little concerning to me. After over a year of owning the product and not having any problems, I think that is a good amount of time and I think it is enough time to fairly say that it will be okay and not need repaired ( :eek: sorry 11800506, I feel as if I need to go knock on some wood )

From what I read, for the most part, Apple's products are pretty decent, in comparison to other electronics, so I don't think they deserve to go bankrupt or anything, but every company can have problems with one product or another and it is good to see most people are not having issues with the iPod Touch. From my personal experience, very, very, few electronics I buy go without having any problems for 3 to 5 years, it just seems most electronics don't make it that long, or at the very least you will get a dud once and a while. I've had many products that had to be exchanged soon after getting it, but once exchanged have been perfect and are great products.

Man, that would be terrible, I don't know that I could handle something like that. Did the touch stop working completely, or did it just have problems that resulted in you getting a new one and I'm assuming Apple didn't replace it?

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No problems at all with my 16GB 1st Gen (that is now used by my Wife) or my 32GB 2nd Gen. Couldn't be happier :D

17. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Love to hear it! :)

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

8gb First Gen, solid as a rock, battery still great, no problems with any of the software releases (even 2.0). Best handheld device I have ever owned (until I get an iPhone 3rd Gen in June :) )

19. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

So, what would you say your trick is to getting great battery life, how did you use the iPod to utilize the battery best?

I'd love to get the iPhone too, especially since I really need a phone too, but unfortunately where I live I'm kind of stuck with Verizon. I've always been really happy with Verizons call quality and service, but there have been a few events lately that have me considering a switch if I ever get the chance, very unfortunate because they are a good cell phone company.

20. JoshJosh117, Mar 11, 2009
  21. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that was pretty lucky, at least they did something. The situation is bad enough, you certainly don't want to have to deal with someone who doesn't understand where you are coming from. Glad to hear your bad situation didn't have a completely terrible ending.

22. JoshJosh117, Mar 11, 2009
  23. Lexlee macrumors newbie

I have had my touch for 14 months now with no problems.

24. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

same except 1st gen, no problems or regrets. just a couple Restores but that's because i Jailbroke it, something i don't regret either. :D

25. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I had my 1st gen replaced last June after 9 months use due to a flaky battery. It was just behaving weirdly and the Genius said it was the battery. Had it replaced but had to buy a new Invisible Shield.