Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you dropped your iPhone 4?

• Yes, and it cracked the glass (front or back)

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Yes, but only minor damage

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • No, but I had a case when I dropped it

Votes: 30 28.3%
  • No. It survived a naked drop

Votes: 49 46.2%

• Total voters

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
And has it survived the "drop". I hear horror stories on here about there cracked screens, but now that we have a couple weeks of use I thought I would throw this poll out to see how well it's held up.

EDIT: POLL IS SUPPOSE TO FINISH WITH THE SENTENCE, "AND DID IT HAVE DAMAGE AFTER YOU DROPPED IT?"

Poll meant for only people that have dropped their iPhone 4.

foolishfocus

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
St. Louis
I dropped mine from my lap getting out of my truck. It hit the asphalt and I expected the worst, but didn't have a scratch on it. I have an iFrog case from the AT&T store while I'm waiting for Vaja to hurry up with their iPhone 4 cases.

Edit: I don't really think your answer options make sense, you can still drop your phone if it has a case on it.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Your poll's a little confusing. They should all say YES and then continue with their sentence.

For example, "Yes, but it survived unscathed." Or "Yes, survived unscathed but had a case on."

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I screwed up the poll, its suppose to basically only "poll" people who HAVE dropped their phones and whether it cracked....

Where do I edit the damn poll?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
So far mine has only slid off the couch onto the carpet. But I used to drop my 3G multiple times per month. Just a klutz I guess! I have a case for my iPhone 4, but it's really not as rubbery as I'd like. Still, it's better than nothing until something better comes along.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
your poll is dumb, No I didnt drop it, but YES it survived a drop with a case is what the 3rd option is saying

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
I dropped it within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box, I put a screen protector on it and then it fell off my lap and went sliding across the floor, the screen protector was covered in scratches, lucky I put it on when I did :D

I dropped it again last night too, again I had it on my lap, I stood up and it fell from my lap (About 4 feet) and landed back first on the hard wood floor, no damage to the phone at all, think I need to be more careful with my iPhone from now on though lol

thornguy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I dropped it within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box, I put a screen protector on it and then it fell off my lap and went sliding across the floor, the screen protector was covered in scratches, lucky I put it on when I did :D

I dropped it again last night too, again I had it on my lap, I stood up and it fell from my lap (About 4 feet) and landed back first on the hard wood floor, no damage to the phone at all, think I need to be more careful with my iPhone from now on though lol

Wow buy a table! :)

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
I haven't dropped mine yet, but I'm sure I will pretty soon. I won't worry about it too much. iPhone or not, it will break when it breaks. :)

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Wow buy a table! :)

lol I have my computer desk which it sits on when I'm not using it, it's just the cables not long enough for me to have it plugged into the back of my PC then up the back of my desk to somewhere I can connect my iPhone into it so I just plug it into the front of my PC and rest it on my lap while I sync it :)

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
lol I have my computer desk which it sits on when I'm not using it, it's just the cables not long enough for me to have it plugged into the back of my PC then up the back of my desk to somewhere I can connect my iPhone into it so I just plug it into the front of my PC and rest it on my lap while I sync it :)

Over the years, I've just learned not to put my phones on my lap. I always forget that it's there when I get up.

TimSS

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
Mine dropped out of my shorts the other day; sat in an Adirondack chair (where one's butt is lower than one's knees), crossed my leg as I was about to enjoy a nice cup of coffee by the water, and next thing I hear is my phone dropping on the cement :( Wrapsol front/back/sides installed, no case. It must've fallen on a corner, because the plastic (?) trim between the metal and glass got slightly gouged (or is that part of the glass?), as did a tiny part of the metal. I'm guessing it would've been worse without the Wrapsol protection, and I'm extremely happy my glass didn't crack.

I bought a Belkin Clear Vue the next day. Had to remove part of the Wrapsol to fit, but happy with the combo I now have.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
stlredbird said:
Where's the option for just "No"?
Sorry I wasn't clear up front. This poll is only for people that HAVE dropped their iPhone 4. The poll is to demonstrate if survival rates are good with or without cases.

iDabble

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
survived a very short fall from my pocket with no case. i was sitting in my chair and it slipped out of my pocket and fell probably a foot and a half onto the floor. no cracks, no visible damage, very impressed

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
While it is too bad you messed up the wording (I figured it out before reading your statement saying what you meant), thank you for posting the poll because it helps put my mind at better ease (cause you only hear on this forum those who have dropped it and it had pretty bad damage. It's nice to see there are many people who even dropped it naked and it was fine).

I've dropped mine (twice, once on hard floor, once on carpet) but it had a case both times and the one on hard floor it only dropped maybe a couple a feet if not less.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I just dropped mine last night ironically. On concrete and it hit HARD. Only some small scuffs on the edges on the back, barely noticeable. Debating a bumper today, but impressed the beating it just took.

DeePeezy

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I dropped mine on monday. The floor is tile and it probably would have been just fine but it hit a metal shelf on the way down and chipped the cheap plastic black frame surroung the screen and a scuffed the steel band. Very minor but it still pisses me off. I decided going caseless with my IP4 was a bad idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.