Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did your eSIM transfer process go?

• pSIM to eSIM - worked as designed, no issues

• eSIM to eSIM - worked as designed, no issues

• pSIM to eSIM - minor issue resolved quickly (less than 60 min)

• eSIM to eSIM - minor issue resolved quickly (less than 60 min)

• pSIM to eSIM - Required major assistance from CS or a trip to the store

• eSIM to eSIM - Required major assistance from CS or a trip to the store

• My carrier doesn't offer eSIM

• Other - please describe in a post

• Carrier doesn't offer Quick Transfer, required CS chat but went smoothly.

Results are only viewable after voting.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I'm curious what the Forum's experience was in the larger sense. There were definitely a few issues but it seems it went smoothly for most. Just wondering where the numbers fall.

I believe in the future of eSIM and glad it's at least being pushed forward in the US (and other countries sure to follow), but I think both Apple and the carriers did a poor job in communicating the process to the greater public.

EDIT: The choice of "Carrier doesn't offer Quick Transfer, required CS chat but went smoothly" should have also included logging on to your account to update the IMEI yourself. It's just to identify what methods were used ie quick Transfer vs Manual entry by you or CS rep.

9/25 UPDATE:

So it's been a week and 2 days since the eSIM only iPhones were launched and I have to say these numbers are better than I expected. Of the 409 people who have voted as of today, 331 or 80.9% had a pretty smooth experience. This would be no issues, minor issue or "CS chat went smoothly."

Clearly there is tons of room for improvement as there are still carriers that don't support eSIM, quick transfer or had other issues. The people who had major issue have every right to be frustrated and their experiences are very valid.

I also think there were a handful of international users who voted, which I should have made a separate choice for but perhaps a follow up poll next year with more specificity. Non-US users are absolutely welcome to vote. It's just a little bit different since US iPhone 14 users had no choice 😬

I'm going to leave the poll open for a long while as people are still receiving their devices but this has been very interesting and I really want to thank the people who took the time to vote and tell us of their experiences. Most of all, I thank you for being civil as this is a very hot topic. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
No issues, but it seemed to take a long time, almost an hour for the transfer to complete.

I'd call def that a minor issue at least. It shouldn't take that long. If you could, choose the "minor issue" in the poll, please.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
switched over to eSIM from my pSIM a week before launch on my 12 Pro Max just to get a beat on how it worked .

So I did an eSIM to eSIM swap when I got my 14 Pro Max on launch. Worked as designed. I have Verizon, took about two minutes .

And the original conversion on the 12PM went smoothly as expected also?

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I’m on Visible, they don’t support the phone transfer process and they only have a chat option. The chat wait was well over an hour but they put in my new IMIE2 and it worked pretty quick.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I’m on Visible, they don’t support the phone transfer process and they only have a chat option. The chat wait was well over an hour but they put in my new IMIE2 and it worked pretty quick.

Got it. Which option did you choose in the poll? I wonder if I should add another choice for "no quick transfer, need CS Chat."

EDIT: I updated the poll to include this option as I think it's good info. Can you update your choice? Thank you!

Reactions: Resqu2

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'd call def that a minor issue at least. It shouldn't take that long. If you could, choose the "minor issue" in the poll, please.
I don’t think it’s an issue when you consider 5M+ phones being activated in 1 day. Systems can only handle so much bandwith. I setup my new phone and once it was done with all of the apps I transferred my eSIM. Worked perfectly and in less than 5 minutes.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Got it. Which option did you choose in the poll? I wonder if I should add another choice for "no quick transfer, need CS Chat."

EDIT: I updated the poll to include this option as I think it's good info. Can you update your choice? Thank you!
Changed my vote, the process went smooth after getting someone to help. I’m sure they were packed but it’s there on fault for not offering/supporting the quick process.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I received my new iPhone 14 Pro yesterday (moving from an iPhone 11 Pro). I have had a Tracfone Annual Renewal Plan for probably 7 years. I rarely use the "phone" functionality - just for emergencies - so that Plan has built up tons of carry-over minutes.

Yesterday I went to the Tracfone Website to Activate the transfer. It gets to the last step where I put in the IMEI2 Number and then the transfer fails - tried about 15 times. I have spent 4 hours total on the phone with Tracfone Tech Support and even their Tier 2 cannot get it to work?

Yesterday, Tracfone finally told me to go locally and buy a Verizon SIM Kit and call back. I did that, and today they say to go back and buy a Verizon $40 SIM PLAN! I already have a Tracfone Plan paid through next May of 2023?

So I guess I will lose a full year of Tracfone pre-paid service - they said not refunds. Pretty disappointed, may just return the iPhone 14 Pro and stay with my 11 Pro.

• Wow

mzengr

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
pSIM to eSIM...that part went smoothly (2 minutes?) but I had to go into the T-Mobile store anyway so I let an associate do it. He seemed to not know what was happening with the data transfer (could've just been preoccupied with all the customers coming in). I just told him to I'll take my phones home and do it myself. Transfer took all of 20 minutes and all is well.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I received my new iPhone 14 Pro yesterday (moving from an iPhone 11 Pro). I have had a Tracfone Annual Renewal Plan for probably 7 years. I rarely use the "phone" functionality - just for emergencies - so that Plan has built up tons of carry-over minutes.

Yesterday I went to the Tracfone Website to Activate the transfer. It gets to the last step where I put in the IMEI2 Number and then the transfer fails - tried about 15 times. I have spent 4 hours total on the phone with Tracfone Tech Support and even their Tier 2 cannot get it to work?

Yesterday, Tracfone finally told me to go locally and buy a Verizon SIM Kit and call back. I did that, and today they say to go back and buy a Verizon $40 SIM PLAN! I already have a Tracfone Plan paid through next May of 2023?

So I guess I will lose a full year of Tracfone pre-paid service - they said not refunds. Pretty disappointed, may just return the iPhone 14 Pro and stay with my 11 Pro.

It doesn't even look like they support eSIM at all. There are still some MVNO who don't support it, hence not selling the iPhone 14. They may support later but likely not a priority. Sucks you can't get a refund though. Maybe return the 14 now and switch in May when the plan is up. You could probably still get a really good deal from another provider and trade in the 11.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I’m not switching to esim until I’m sure I’m keeping the phone so I don’t have the hassle of transferring it back.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Pretty easy besides it bricking like everyone else. Hard reset and good to go

I don't think the "bricking" was a widespread issue either. My circle of people all transferred over ok, which is rare. lol. I didn't have any issues. Though people use "brick" pretty liberally these days. It used to mean it was FUBAR and never could be used again, basically a paperweight or a useless brick. But if problem is resolved by a reboot or reinstall, it isn't really "bricking."

But if the issue happened during the eSIM transfer process vs your data transfer or iCloud restore, I would probably call that a minor issue since a reboot fixed it.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Since i'm in the Apple iUP, I had to activate my iphone upon boot so no transfer was needed. But it was confusing afterwards when I did the migration because it asked me if i wanted to transfer the number. But I let it wait and just bypassed that screen and was fine.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Since i'm in the Apple iUP, I had to activate my iphone upon boot so no transfer was needed. But it was confusing afterwards when I did the migration because it asked me if i wanted to transfer the number. But I let it wait and just bypassed that screen and was fine.

I'm on iUP also but still transferred the eSIM when prompted. It was all pretty smooth either way.

quise2024

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
I don't think the "bricking" was a widespread issue either. My circle of people all transferred over ok, which is rare. lol. I didn't have any issues. Though people use "brick" pretty liberally these days. It used to mean it was FUBAR and never could be used again, basically a paperweight or a useless brick. But if problem is resolved by a reboot or reinstall, it isn't really "bricking."

But if the issue happened during the eSIM transfer process vs your data transfer or iCloud restore, I would probably call that a minor issue since a reboot fixed it.

Yeah true but assuming we all know what that meant for this activation process.

It happened on data transfer from other iPhone

DJL311

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2020
eSIM to eSIM, I had major issues. The Apple Store employee wiped my phone for the trade in before I set up the new one. It kept trying to send the code to my old phone, which I no longer had. I had to drive to a T-Mobile location to get it set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.