Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did upgrading to Snow Leopard make your MBA fans a lot louder a lot more often?

• MBA SSD - Man are these fans on a lot more now!

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • MBA HD - Man are these fans on a lot more now!

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • MBA SSD - I recommend the upgrade. No difference in fan noise.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • MBA HD - I recommend the upgrade. No difference in fan noise.

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I have a 1.86 SSD and my girlfriend has a 1.6 HD.

I'd love to hear from those who have an MBA and have upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard about the effect that the upgrade had on FAN NOISE.

There seem to be a few out there who have said that SL has made there fans run a lot more loudly and constantly, and our MBAs, while normally quiet, are easily stirred to heat up and turn on the blasters by Flash and other sustained CPU-intensive loads.

While I really do want SL, I really DON"T want my fans blasting all the time.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
We have a 1.6GHz Rev. A, and I don't believe I/we've seen any difference (I upgraded it to SL on the 29th). It'll still "rev up" with the normal intensive apps, but otherwise pretty much the same as Leopard.

3crawz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Linlithgow, Scotland
I have a rev b, 1.6, 120gb, have upgraded to snow leopard and i have DEFINATELY noticed that fans are on alot more, fans come on a lot quicker than before even when just surfing web using safari, with leopard and viewing you tube videos fans came on after 5-10mins now with snow leopard fans come on instantly.

Yavanna

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Florida
I have a rev A refurb. Originally I had no fan problems under 10.5.6, but that changed with the 10.5.7 update. It was corrected by the 10.5.8 update.

But SL has broken that again. I am hoping that the 10.6.1 update will fix it. Until then, I have installed Click to Flash. It seems to help some.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a rev b, 1.6, 120gb, have upgraded to snow leopard and i have DEFINATELY noticed that fans are on alot more, fans come on a lot quicker than before even when just surfing web using safari, with leopard and viewing you tube videos fans came on after 5-10mins now with snow leopard fans come on instantly.

When I upgraded my fans were steady at 6200 RPM for about 15 minutes (long enough for me to search MR and find out what to do). My temps were between 45 and 60º C while I sat the MB Air on a pillow on my lap. It turned out that I needed to do an SMC reset. A PITA if you ask me but completely worth it. The fans went down to 3400 rpm upon reboot then regulated back to 2200 - 2400 rpm later on (with the MB Air in my lap on a pillow). I believe there is some weird bug and to get past it you must do an SMC reset.

All I know is that if all of Apple's bugs were this easy to get past I'd be pleased. ;)

Unconsoled

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Rain City WA
My rev A 1.6 just after installing SL was incredibly hot and fans going constantly. Did the SMC reset and it is now better than before. Hardly a peep out of the fans and the temps are way down.

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
We have a 1.6GHz Rev. A, and I don't believe I/we've seen any difference (I upgraded it to SL on the 29th). It'll still "rev up" with the normal intensive apps, but otherwise pretty much the same as Leopard.

Ditto for me for Rev A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.