Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about your new Mac Pro?

• OMFG this is the fastest, smoothest, most badass computer I've ever owned.

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • Pretty darn solid -- as to be expected.

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Meh, I hope 10.5.2 irons out these bugs.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I wish I had waited for Nehalem.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Apple has a real problem on their hands if all the new MPs are as messed up as mine.

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
For those who have received their new (2008) Mac Pros, how do you feel about it?

Click a choice above and / or comment...

Weeeeeeeeee!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Still waiting on my RAM, but a fantastic machine. Benchmarked incredibly. Should really fly under 10.5.2 and it is fast, quiet and gorgeous.

Nosmot

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Well... I upgraded from a digital audio 533 single processor... So yeah, this is the most "omfg" machine I have ever worked with. Very pleased. Just popped in another 4gb RAM from OWC, and a middle of the road 320gb drive from Seagate. I'm hoping to get a faster drive tomorrow for the OS, then we should be all done for the time being. Well, I guess there is the 8800 I have on order too. :p

Needless to say everything is a little smoother now.I haven't had time to find any faults yet, I'm just so blown away by the obvious contrast between this and my G4 dinosaur. Why did I wait so long?

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Mine is in an Apple factory somewhere....................waiting for an 8800GT.

I sure hope I like that card, since I'll be stuck with it for a long time, as previous Mac Pro owners are stuck with the x1900xt.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
yeah, i'll get back to you after the ram gets here, but if it works the way i expect it to based on performance so far, all i can say is,
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
... Just popped in another 4gb RAM from OWC, and a middle of the road 320gb drive from Seagate. I'm hoping to get a faster drive tomorrow for the OS, then we should be all done for the time being.
I have two 150 GB Raptors waiting to become the OS + Apps and audio drives... :) I'll take the 320 stock drive and use it for misc. storage... then get a humungo drive for Time Machine. I haven't ordered yet since Pro Tools isn't yet compatible with Leopard... think I'll wait till 10.5.2 comes pre-installed.

Will G.

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
I'm going to hold off voting, since my Mac Pro hasn't actually been shipped yet, but I fully expet to be in the "OMFG this is the fastest, smoothest, most badass computer I've ever owned" category. :) I'm upgrading from a dual 800mhz G4.

cineapple

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
I have two 150 GB Raptors waiting to become the OS + Apps and audio drives... :) I'll take the 320 stock drive and use it for misc. storage... then get a humungo drive for Time Machine. I haven't ordered yet since Pro Tools isn't yet compatible with Leopard... think I'll wait till 10.5.2 comes pre-installed.
I know this may of already been asked before, but what types of drives are people buying for this behemoth of a machine? I just ordered the dual 2.8 quad for my video editing. What hard drive and manufacturer do you recommend?

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I have to hold off voting too, but in about....6 - 8 hours, I should be choosing option 1 :D:D

I can't believe how long I've waited to get away from windows...this is gonna be SO cool :)

-Bryan

orangejuice

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Was happy when it arrived, now I am sufficiently disgusted.
Freezing problems plague any type of work I try to do, currently using an old Imac as my Mac Pro is just impossible to use effectively at the moment.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I know this may of already been asked before, but what types of drives are people buying for this behemoth of a machine? I just ordered the dual 2.8 quad for my video editing. What hard drive and manufacturer do you recommend?
For fast boot/app drives you want a Western Digital Raptor. They come in 36/74/150GB.

cineapple

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
For fast boot/app drives you want a Western Digital Raptor. They come in 36/74/150GB.
Thanks, and you think they are one of the best options for video editing, besides spending the $$ for the fastest rpm drive on the market?

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
had my four gigs waiting for me when i got up this morning,
popped those suckers in there and *BAM* 10 ms latency,
even on my biggest projects.

ohhhhhhh, yeah........

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Was happy when it arrived, now I am sufficiently disgusted.
Freezing problems plague any type of work I try to do, currently using an old Imac as my Mac Pro is just impossible to use effectively at the moment.
Do you think you just got a bunk machine, or one that might have been over-manhandled by UPS or FedEx? Or, do you think it's an app thing that 10.5.2 might resolve?

mikekim75

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2007
Prt Org
re: new M.P satisfaction

Mine should be here sometime next week and I'll re post but I want to say that I almost upgraded my early M.P. from quad 2.66 to octo 3ghz but decided to wait and boy am I glad I did. I couldn't believe I had some apps and hardware that asked for 3ghz or better to perform like half life 2 (lost coast) and there was an optical drive that required 3ghz so now I'll be up to parr when I get it.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
Still waiting on my quad 2,8, but I am absolutely pumped. I'm coming from a 2,16 MacBook and cannot wait to see what this machine can do. 13,3 inch screen to 20 ACD and Intel GMA950 to the base ATI card is going to brilliant. For everything that I do, this thing will fly!

pianoplayer1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2005
New York
Still waiting on my quad 2,8, but I am absolutely pumped. I'm coming from a 2,16 MacBook and cannot wait to see what this machine can do. 13,3 inch screen to 20 ACD and Intel GMA950 to the base ATI card is going to brilliant. For everything that I do, this thing will fly!

You sound exactly like me. I wanna order (in a few days) a quad 2.8 since I've got an 17 inch iMac G5 with a slow x600 card now. Unlike some pros, I don't need 8 cores and I'm debating on the 8800GT, but I'd like lasting power :). Also getting a 20 inch ACD.

By the way - check this out... http://www.liquiddigital.com.au/?gclid=CKfgwJzrgJECFR8Ulgodn1D_GQ

orangejuice

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Do you think you just got a bunk machine, or one that might have been over-manhandled by UPS or FedEx? Or, do you think it's an app thing that 10.5.2 might resolve?

I am not too sure, I doubt it's a bunk machine, I don't really want to speculate, either way it shouldn't happen to a Professional Level workstation.

I wonder have Apple learned from their imac screw-up, I hope it's not linked at all.

I called Apple and it looks as if it will have to be returned.

It only started playing up two days ago, but happens regularly enough to destroy any hope of me completing a daily task.

Also since I am a recent porter I don't want to go back to Windows, though I haven't really got another option until this issue is fixed.

MrPDaddyHimself

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Hey OJ,
Are you sure you're not experiencing any app conflicts. Perhaps you migrated something from your old setup that is now causing issues with your new MP? Don't give up on that machine. Mine doesn't ship until Mid Feb but its worth it. That 3.2 Beast with the 8800GT and 10GB of RAM is Gonna Kick A....

orangejuice

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Hey OJ,
Are you sure you're not experiencing any app conflicts. Perhaps you migrated something from your old setup that is now causing issues with your new MP? Don't give up on that machine. Mine doesn't ship until Mid Feb but its worth it. That 3.2 Beast with the 8800GT and 10GB of RAM is Gonna Kick A....
No conflicts whatsoever, what's worrying is that I haven't installed anything that wasn't stock installed.

IIRC Darthraige was experiencing a similar problem.

Ahh man, it's annoying, I just hope it gets fixed soon because a. I need it for work and b. It does look pretty awesome:cool:

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
Mine is in an Apple factory somewhere....................waiting for an 8800GT.

Most likely it's waiting for DRIVERS for your 8800. My theory is that 10.5.2 will include 8800 GT drivers and the specialized software for the MBA, hence the delay in both. I bet steve comes out in a couple of weeks and announces our mac pros will be here earlier than we thought. ;)

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
To the person asking about it

The data density on 750GB / 1TB drives makes the data transfer speed comparable to, and in some cases, faster than, a raptor. However, they would be more quiet than a raptor and you'd have much more space to play with. Just a thought..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.