Poll on voting... feedback with (+ -) for MR?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Consultant, May 16, 2008.

?

Add + - to MR posts?

1. Yes, add + - option to MR.

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. No, don't see a need for Pos or Neg.

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

One of the web sites I often visit recently introduced a + or - feedback on each user post, in the forms of green thumbs up or red thumbs down.

Yes I know the system is not new, but it seems to be working at this site. (Users should also be able to choose to view only posts that meets certain votes, say only positive votes, or only views above -1 or +2 votes.)

I find that on that site, since the introduction of the new system, certain people who many would classify as trolls pretty much ceased their inflammatory comments, because they know that if they are rude, their comment would get a neg and not be seen, but if they are helpful they will get a positive.

I think it'll be beneficial to introduce something similar to MR.

Not saying it'll replace the moderation, but it'll complement moderation. What do you guys think?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I worry that people with less than popular *opinions* would be voted down in a system like this, particularly, say, in the politics threads. How do you see it working in these situations?

3. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Typically when people can actually explain their reasoning clearly, they don't get negged.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Popular opinion is so often retarded that it serves no purpose to rub it in

ok ok, I just don't want it because my karma would be *horrific*

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

This would be cool if it were implemented ex-community forums. In other words, if I could give someone a + for a useful bit of advice to another user, or to indicate that a buy/sell trade went well, I think it wouldn't be terrible. But only if it could be turned off in community, because in a forum this big it would become too much of a punishing tool rather than a community booster.

It could be helpful in giving newbies advice, and encouraging posters to offer helpful information and quality posts.

6. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

If there's one thing people love, it's another outlet through which to judge each other. I think it may change the nature of these forums if people are thinking about whether or not their post will be popular before they submit - probably for better and worse. Either way, I think it's disruptive to honest discourse.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this has been discussed before, and it has always come down to simply being too big of an issue due to the ability of people to just vote others down at whim

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Not really in favor of a popularity contest. If we could rely on everyone to be reasonable and honest about it, it would be fine. Of course, if we could rely on people being reasonable and honest, we wouldn't need it.;)

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

10. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

For what I've seen,

If it's useful, more people will vote it up.

If it seems to get undeserved negs, people will vote it up.

People will think twice before posting rude comments.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

in theory its great, yes. but just look at zelmo's post for explanation. plus it might be nice to have, but will only cause more work for the mods, unneeded work at that.

12. cube macrumors G5

13. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

So what % of MR users do YOU classify as "fanboys"?

Is it >50%? then you have a problem, if not, then it's not.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't like censorship with +/- in general, the really crappy posts can be deleted by the mods and you might miss something controversial but interesting.

15. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Not censorship, but user can choose whether to see posts with + or - or not.

Options would be:
    [] See all posts (default)
    [] See posts of only [] or higher

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

17. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

No, this is not Digg! People over there are so preoccupied with getting dugg up or down on their comments. 'Blah blah don't digg me down! Or digg me down anyway. yeah digg me up!'

It is very distracting, and it's relieving here to not worry about being judged on everything you write.

18. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

This is not Youtube. MR is great the way it is. :)

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't see a need. Leave as is.

20. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I like the idea. However I think it should only be used in technical advice forums and not the community discussions or market place.

It seems most macrumors users are not open to change

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Maybe a feedback a la most support sites (like Apple's), indicating the usefulness/helpfulness of the response. But even that is fraught with peril, considering how tightly into a wad some folks get their panties.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

On the contrary, I think it will undoubtedly increase the need for moderation.

The unscrupulous need only to vote for each other regardless of merit and the system collapses into itself.
    I think that is by far the most brilliant thing I've read today! :D
    Yes, but it isn't the only way to use such a system. It can be used incorrectly, and considering the number of posts per day on this forum, I think it's all too probable for that to happen.
    And who is the arbiter again? Oh right, public opinion. Refer back to Mord's comment. ;)
    Why would they exactly? What changes? If they don't care about their popularity and just want to troll, then can get away with it as easily now as they would with a digg system.

Most people who do post rude comments aren't going to stick around for very long anyways, and the mods will take care of those situations as they arise. I really don't see how a post rating will change the heart of someone who doesn't care in the first place.

Intelligence and progressiveness are not opposing values. ;)

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sometimes the old adage that if it isn't broke then don't fix it is applicable.

Change is fine if there is a need. I suspect that most don't see a need.

24. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I agree with the general consensus of the posts here. It may sound like a good idea at first, but having been to various sites where Agree/Disagree or +/- options are available, the idea soon turns into farce.

Fanboys end up completely skewing the system. Even if someone has an interesting, well written point, some people vote it down because they don't agree with it / don't like the person / have colluded with their fellow fanboys to vote it down.

There will also be the inevitable sight of people having to say:
    "Please don't vote me down for this but ..."

and:
    "Dudes! I need some votes here, help me out!"

and:
    "Why did so many people vote me down?! This site is clearly being run / bribed by Apple / Microsoft / Adobe / Republicans / Democrats etc."

I've seen it too many times on gaming, news and computing websites and I don't want to see it here.

25. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

It could be interesting if this goes to replacing those "+1/I agree" posts - instead of posting those who vote positively, giving it a genuine +1! Or maybe that's me being naïve about people bumping their post count!:eek:;)

PS: Yes i do report "+1"s or spam posts. When you've been posting for six years and haven't got a 'tar, you know how to make every post count!