Poll: OS-X's 300 "Features"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Virgil-TB2, Oct 16, 2007.

?

Apple's 300+ "features

1. the 300 features makes Apple look stupid

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. advertising the 300 features is brilliant

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Apple should focus on the top few "secret" features

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. your making a mountain out of a molehill

28 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Now that the cat's out of the bag sort of speak, ...

Am I the only one that thinks that marketing Leopard as having "300 + new features" is a big mistake on Apple's part? Combined with the statements from Steve Jobs about "top secret features" this seems to be a bit of a marketing nightmare IMO.

Lots of people have had their interest piqued by the "secret features," but then when they are revealed there is no differentiation between a new capability of TextEdit and a completely new Finder??? :confused:

Doesn't this just trivialise the really big (read: "actual") new features, at the same time as it makes Apple look foolish for trumpeting something like the new transparent menu bar as a "feature?" And where are the "secret features" anyway? I think I know what a few of them are, but isn't the marketing department supposed to follow up with a laser like focus on what these "secret features" that Steve announced actually are?

I hear lots of new Mac converts talking about this, and believe me, some of them feel quite confused and cheated already.

Personally, I would rather they drop the "300 features" angle and focus on more of a "5 reasons why Leopard blows Vista out of the water" approach. It's not like Apple to have such a loose focus, nor is it like them to trumpet minor revisions to built-in apps as some kind of big "feature."

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The desktop a potential switcher sees when s/he walks into an Apple Store didn't change much between 10.3 and 10.4, it will change a huge amount between 10.4 and 10.5...this alone will make people think Leopard is a HUGE change...

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I agree the 300 thing is kind of silly, but no one really cares.

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

OP: Remember that Tiger had 200 new 'features'.

It's 300 to be consistent at least.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well i think directly comparing it to Vista would be a bad way to approach it as each OS has their advantages and disadvantages.

Your second point in the case of OS releases they do. Look back at Tigers 200+ features and this extends back to other releases. If apple suddenly came out and said that Leopard only has say 20 new features a lot of people would be like what the ****. Also what is a big update to you might mean nothing to me. So it is about appealing to all.

I think there is a happy ground where things like new screensavers aren't included and there is more emphasis on the big changes (although this second part is already happening with the keynotes)

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

"This is madness!"

"NO! This is Sparta! err... Leaopard!"

:D

7. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Genius, that should have been the commercial if it came out in time.

8. projectle macrumors 6502

Well, this way really does let users know what they are getting.

They get to see something that really does look visually different and also have some information to back it up, other than Microsoft's approach of "it took us 6 years, 10.5 million man hours and 3 billion dollars to develop".

With Microsoft, it is really just taking their word for all of that. Even when reporters ask Steve Balmer what has changed that makes Vista worthwhile, it is "Users appreciate the value that we put into Vista." The End.

9. foidulus macrumors 6502a

But they have better error messages in applescript! Only somewhat patronizing on that one, actually error messages in general tend to be terrible across the board in the computer industry. For example, the all purpose "Unexpected error"..which is what? Would it be better if it were an "expected error"

And don't forget for those with kids, the built in wikipedia filtering :p What would happen to a child if they found out what a vagina is!

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is an example of how one feature is important to some and not to others. Personally this is a big plus for me as i tend to use applescript to get the boring tasks done, so it is one feature that i will be glad to have and was nice too see.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think they're doing this better than they did with Tiger. With Tiger, they had this long list of new features and a handful of them failed to actually be in 10.4.0 and subsequently disappeared from the list altogether.

I think it's a very nice, readable summary for someone who is really interested (as I am), and it's appropriately placed as a second or third level introduction to Leopard, behind the main page that highlights TM, the Finder innovation, etc. In a couple places it annoyed me (e.g. it makes a big deal about being able to read/write to the Bootcamp partition until you realize it is talking about using FAT32). But generally I think it's nicely done.

Also it shows that Apple is serious about top-to-bottom development in OS X. They have a reputation for developing and abandoning products. So it's important to show the technorati, press, and developer community that they, for instance, are still actively developing the new technologies from Tiger, as well as things like Applescript, and not just focusing all effort on new toys while leaving old problems to continue plaguing Leopard users.

12. ntay macrumors newbie

ntay

Yep, that's pretty much the clincher for me, folks.

But seriously, I do think that it's an good market idea, because people are going to be like "what took 'em so long for these 20 features" versus "Wow, 300 features, that's great!" They're trying to advertise to the average consumer...those who don't exactly read up on Apple every day of the week.

My opinion.

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

now if we could only have restore as well

14. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Steve blew it with the "secret features" thing. Get over it. He's human.

That being said, Apple has spelled out what the bulk of Leopard's new features are so people can decide for themselves whether or not they will benefit from an upgrade. That doesn't mean every feature will appeal to everyone.

Why?

Why should Apple compare OS X to Vista when Vista has received far more bad press than good? It's like comparing ice cream to a **** sandwich.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There is one. Just boot from the Leopard Disc and it presents it's self as restore from Time Machine Back Up Drive.

I don't know if the new "features" in Leopard sould be called "features." A lot of that stuff is just additions to the OS, most of which will never be noticed by the end user at least as a feature.

16. ntay macrumors newbie

ntay

I think he was referring to a restore button inside the Trash, to restore a file.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. In that case, I like the way Apple implemented it. That way it's much more powerful and I can grab a file I might have thought I didn't need like a week ago.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed.

To make it abundantly clear, say I trashed a whole bunch of files during the course of a day. Then at the end of the day I realise that x amount of these files shouldn't be deleted. Currently I would have to remember where i deleted these files from and place them all back manually. The restore button would for-go this as I could just press the button and the files would just pop back into place.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

exactly

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's assuming you don't just want one of two of the files. Showing you what you trashed during that day is a good idea though because then you could then select only what you wanted. I could see them adding that via software update if enough people request it.

21. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

It's Brilliant

I love that they pitch 300 new features. :) I don't have a problem with many of them being small or irrelevant to those who speak English. They're still all cool. :cool:

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I like being able to see a long list of wide features.

A lot of these are the more obvious features to most uses. I'll probably have to pull up ye ol' man pages and documentation. ;)

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I was meaning that you could just select which file(s) to restore via cmd, just like right now we can choose a selection of files to copy from within a folder.

This is nothing new has been in windows for absolutely ages and works very well.

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's all for the shock and "wow" factor. I think it's a good thing.

25. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Even though it ate up the CPU and performed horribly, I remember really liking the original Norton "Smart Trash Can" on Windows NT. One could review what was deleted, from where, what dependencies it broke (or didn't) etc.

I guess Time Machine is going to make all that sort of thing obsolete for Macs though. You don't need a restore, when no file is ever "really" deleted.