Poll (soft of) Where do you keep your rMBP at Night?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyzome, Apr 9, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

I had the thought that, given how dusty rooms can get when they go uncleaned for extended periods, the rMBP could probably pick up a lot of dust...especially if it is in a room I sleep in.

I've started taking to keeping it in a drawer. Perhaps I'll just leave it on my bedroom (IRL) desk-top inside my Brain Cell sleeve charging (I can't really close the drawer completely and keep it charging). I try not to use it too much before bed due to concerns about messing up my circadian rhythms, and sometimes when I'm good I'll just leave it on the desk top in the home office (outside my bedroom). If I want to save time for the next morning I'll leave it there inside a bag.

Where do you keep your rMBP at night?

(Especially with regards to keeping it dust free, but perhaps there are other considerations, like its interfering with sleep, etc.)

edit: sort* of a poll; can't set up a ballot without knowing what the options are!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I leave my computers wherever I last used them, usually with the lid open.

To be honest, I think you worry too much.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Usually where I was last using it, with the lid closed out of habit.

Most of the time it stays in my backpack because I use my iMac when I'm at home.

My room does get rather dusty, but my rmbp is always never in one place long enough to collect dust. I'm always more worried about my iMac and the external hard drives that sit behind on the twelve south backpack more than anything when it comes to dust.

4. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

5. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

On my desk, where the charger always is, lid closed. A couple of my PPCs were left lid open and are covered in a visible layer of dust, but that really only happens when laptops sit unused for an extended period of time.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

At home it stays in its stand in clamshell mode. When on the road it is usually on a desk open but gets closed up if doing something else and I want the space or there's a chance of a spill nearby.

I never use my MBP in the bedroom, I have an iPad for reading.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My old MBP used to sit on my desk or on my coffee table, depending on what I was last using it for. Usually if it was on my desk, it stayed open. If it was on the coffee table, I'd close it.

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

My rooms get cleaned every weekend. If there are rooms where there is a concern of dust collection, then I would recommend furniture covers or something ... Like you see on TV in those old abandoned haunted houses with the cobwebs and whatnot.

Anyway, at night, my system stays where it is during the day: right in its stand on the desk that's out by the dining room.

12. flur macrumors 68000

If it needs charging, on the table next to the charger, lid closed. If it's not charging, it's inside its case in a drawer.

FWIW, at my house, we keep all our electronics hidden from plain view when we're not using them. Our neighborhood is pretty safe, but we occasionally get opportunistic crime, so we try not to tempt a potential burglar with our fancy apple gear.

13. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Under my bed. Just slide it under when I go to sleep.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

15. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Inside a small storage area on the entertainment center.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

in my backpack or on my desk with sleep mode on with lid open. :apple:

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

On my desk

----------

Then dust builds up on the screen...then I gotta wipe it which means I have to find a cleaning cloth...it's a whole big thing! :D

18. Android300zx macrumors regular

In a dust proof safe hooked up to a time lock. Seriously, this thread is retarded.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

20. rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

Only someone with Android in their name would think this thread was sub-par!

I love these responses. I would have never thought of some of the places you've mentioned Who would have thought, keeping it under the bed!?

And by the toilet? (was that half-true?)

I love seeing the diversity of concerns and reasoning behind what you do with it at night. I was worried about dust and melatonin, but theft never entered my mind.

Here's another--back in the day when it was just getting started, I used to leave my old PowerBook on my desk all night running computations for SETI@Home!
    (Not in a sleeve; I feared it would overheat!)

21. Silvrbill macrumors member

I burned up a motherboard in Iraq because of the dust so, to me at least, this thread makes perfect sense.
    The replacement I bought didn't make it a year after I returned, presumable because of the dust it collected over there.
    They were't Macs but the one i'll be taking this time is.
    I'm heading back soon and have actually been thinking about how to prevent it from happening again.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

23. blwade macrumors 6502

I keep mine where ever I used it last.. usually shut unless I have something running overnight. So, this usually means on my dining room table, living room couch, or on my nightstand.

24. simmo0916 macrumors member

**Plot Twist**

OP is compiling a list of where you leave your laptops at night, ready to start his mac stealing criminal masterminding.

25. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

These questions on forums are getting really bad lately..Nothing better to do today ?