POLL: What are you gonna do when Snow Leopard comes out

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sn0warmy, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Upgrade or Box Set?

1. $29 upgrade - It's worth keeping a Leopard disk around for installs

170 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. $169 Box Set - I don't want to deal with Leopard anymore

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I am beginning the debate on which way to go when Snow Leopard is released. By now we all know that the upgrade is going to be $29 from leopard. And the full version, including iLife '09 and iWork '09, for $169.

If I remember correctly, the way the upgrade worked for Leopard from Tiger was that the upgrade disk checked your harddrive to see if you had Tiger installed. Then it gave you the option of doing a fresh install or just an upgrade.

I've decided that around christmas I'm going to pick up a new SSD drive for my u-MBP. If I just get the $29 upgrade then I am going to have to install a fresh copy of Leopard just to install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard.:(

After months of getting excited for only having to pay $29 for a new OS. I am now swaying towards just ponying up $170 to not have to deal with Leopard disks anymore.

What are you going to do?:eek:

EDIT: if you participate in the poll, please take a second to explain the reasoning for your choice. I'm really looking for opinions here. Thank you!!

2. Nobita macrumors 6502

As a student, it's quite straightforward.. $29 < $169 for the freaking same thing.

Although in my case, I have iLife 08 so it might be worth buying $169. But for people who already got iLife 09, I won't bother. I'll wait for iLife 10 or I'll buy 09 from ebay later...

3. iamkewl macrumors member

The $29

I have iLife 08. Don't really need 09 very much.

4. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

That's the other thing. I already have iLife 09 and iWork 09. So for me I would consider the $169 version simply for the fact that I know it's the FULL version and I can use that to do a fresh install whenever I need to.

5. sonspot macrumors member

i cannt justify paying an extra $130 just for convenience, plus it doesnt take long to install leopard anyway,.. not worth the extra cash if you already have ilife/iwork. are you posting to let us know you have money to waste?:rolleyes:

6. Razeus macrumors 601

I don't understand why people are opting for the $169 pack. Leopard takes like 20-30 minutes to install. Snow Leopard another 15 minutes. Not a big deal. For $29, I'll glady clean install Leopard and then SL on top of that.

7. mslide macrumors 6502a

Easy. $29. Installing Leopard is no big deal at all. Even if it took all day long to install Leopard, I'd still opt for the cheaper upgrade.

8. pjmburg macrumors newbie

I already have my up-to-date order in. And it still isn't confirmed that you won't be able to do a clean install from the Snow Leopard disk anyway.

9. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm just getting the upgrade.

If I ever need to get a new hard drive, I'll just clone it with SuperDuper!

If it works the same as previous upgrades, you will get exactly the same install options as the full retail version once the hard drive has been checked for Leopard.

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

12. Boesky macrumors 6502

Couldnt you just buy Snow Leopard and then download the software?

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What software? :confused:

14. pdjudd macrumors 601

No. Apple does not distribute it's Operating systems commercially via download. For the vast majority of consumers, downloading a 4 gig file is not as feasible as having it delivered or purchased at retail. Another thing, the download would have to be written to a CD anyway due to how the OS installers work - you can't install them if you boot off a hard drive.

Shipping a physic DVD is the most painless way to do it. Apple only offers downloads to developers who are part of the premium or select program or (I believe) if you are purchasing a volume license.

Really, downloading a 6+ gig download is very daunting for home users.

15. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Easy choice for 99% of people....

If I wanted to update iLife and wanted iWork then maybe but as it is I dare say 99% of people will just got for the 30 dollar upgrade... I mean how often do you reinstall your OS anyway? so adding 30 mins onto this not very frequent event is hardly worth the extra?

Has anybody heard how much the update is in the UK btw? I'm guessing £30 myself

16. celticpride678

$29 Upgrade because I already have iLife '09, I have Microsoft Office and don't need iWork and just because it is a lot cheaper.

17. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

haha, definitely not. I'm a 25 year old just out of college, staring from the ground up on my career, and paying off ridiculous amounts of student loans. I'd be considered in the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to having "money to waste".:)

But to me, $170 isn't to ridiculous when you consider I just spent $2,200 on the laptop.

But yeah, I now agree with you all. Adding another 15ish minutes to install time which happens maybe once a year in order to save $140 makes more sense.

$29 upgrade it is.:D

18. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Please excuse my question if it's a silly one, but this will be my first upgrade using a Mac.

If the upgrade disc gives me the option of doing a clean installation of Snow Leopard, could I perform the clean install, and then simply copy all of the folders from my SuperDuper backup of my current system and have everything work without any problems? Or is it more complicated than that? I just do not want to have to go through installing all of my software again.

Thanks.

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why is everyone assuming that the Snow Leopard Upgrade (the $29 disk) will require you to have Leopard installed before it will run? While it's possible, it doesn't quite fit with Apple's general philosophy.

I personally will be using a $29 upgrade disk for my computer. I don't expect any trouble when I do my Archive and Install (I see no point in wasting time with an Erase and Install).

jW

20. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

At this rate, I'll buy the upgrade disc and either "Archive and Install" or "Erase and Install."

21. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I agree completely. I think people are making such a big fuss over the fact that it's technically an "upgrade disk." Even if the disk does require Leopard for it to work, I don't see why if someone already has Snow Leopard installed, how it wouldn't work with that. I'm definitely getting the $29 upgrade disk.

22. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

The disk may look for Leopard installed on the system before allowing upgrade. I had this with Tiger, I had to ensure Panther was installed before it would start. But, I could then do a fresh install, erasing all of Panther.

23. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

hmmmm, easy choice - $29 upgrade. the half hour additional time if i need to for some reason reinstall 10.5 isn't worth paying $130 more. plus i already have ilife 09. no reason to buy that again.

24. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

£7.95 upgrade for new Mac-owners! Cheap, cheap, cheap!

But if I had to choose its a no-brainer...

$29 + a bit of hassle with Leopard
    $169 + no hassle + iLife 09 which is almost same as 08 + iWork which is cheap anyway

25. sonspot macrumors member

i kid you, just having some fun, nothing more. am not even sure if am going to upgrade or not. i just bought my MB and havnt really used it much, just surfing and email, i just need some time to start with some photo and video edit..