Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use the rear-facing camera on ipad2?

• Often, to take photos

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Seldom

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Only for FaceTime

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Never

Votes: 72 49.3%

• Total voters

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I've had my iPad since launch and can honestly say that I've forgotten that it even has a rear facing camera. How many of you actually use the RF camera on a regular basis?

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have never used it and hate that my case has the camera cut out on the back although I can see it being useful in some situations...just none that pertain to how I use it.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Video around the house with the kids and sometimes pics if its the device I'm carrying at the moment. Its much easier to see your subject with a large screen, but obviously the camera quality leaves a lot to be desired (especially indoors).

I understand why people claim iPad cameras arent a big deal, but its not like they charge more for it so it's existence gets far more trashing than it deserves. The advance of technology requires being open minded to everything, including the things we don't "think" we want.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I accidentally voted only for FaceTime when I meant to put never.

The camera is just low quality. I wish there was more augmented reality apps.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
I always use my iPad to take videos of my robts at home, I have heaps of wonderful video apps that can add some very cool effects. I also use it out and about if I forget my camera or ipod. Sure it looks a bit silly but it's better than using my phone which is an absolute nightmare to retrieve videos and pictures from :rolleyes:

However on school excursions it's my go to device, my students just love being able to watch what I am videoing and then I can edit it on the bus so we can all watch a completed movie once we get back to school.

soupcxan

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Rear cameras on ipads are just stupid. If they offered a no-rear-camera option that was $1 cheaper, I would buy it to save the dollar, because it is that worthless.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Rear cameras on ipads are just stupid. If they offered a no-rear-camera option that was $1 cheaper, I would buy it to save the dollar, because it is that worthless.

haha
MG_118.gif

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011

haha that's great. I currently have the iPad 1, so i've never really thought about potential camera usage. I think the front facing camera would be convenient for facetime, and playing around with photo booth. But yeah, a 1.3 MP rear facing camera on an ipad is a joke. Even if it were 5 MP or higher, I doubt I would use it very much.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I use mine all the time. When I talk to my husband over FaceTime or Skype and need to show him something or to snap a quick pic of the grandkids to email to him.

To take videos of my grandkids (they love to watch themselves), and my granddaughter finds it great fun to take pictures and then scroll through them. Unfortunately a lot of her pics are of her feet but she loves it. (she's 3)

Yes, they are grainy but it's still a lot of fun and for us, that's the point. When I want really good pictures I use a real camera.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i really wish they'd put in a better front-facing camera and just get rid of the rear camera. the rear one really has no uses.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I use it semi-regularly (every couple weeks) to take photos and video of my baby, because I always have my iPad on hand but not always my camera.

If the 3 has better cameras that would be a big incentive for me to upgrade.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
i really wish they'd put in a better front-facing camera and just get rid of the rear camera. the rear one really has no uses.
x2... eliminate the pointless rear camera and use that expense and put it towards a full HD front video camera. Wait... scratch that... HD will show all the gory details in your face :D

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I use it often and find it extraordinarily handy. Examples: my new lawnmower developed an oil leak. Took a photo of it and went to Sears with my iPad to show them. Easier than taking the lawn mower. If I see something in a store that I think a relative might like, I take a photo of it and send it with a text message to get an opinion. I also take photos of important sections of manuals for household tools and pop them into DropBox. Easier than searching for the manual when it's needed.

In good light, the camera does a very nice job. Here's an example of one of the first photos I took with my iPad 2:

Trillium.jpg

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
If you've got toddlers then FaceTime sessions usually involve the kid running away from boring old granny. So the front camera is good for tracking. Also, if it has autofocus its ideal for check deposits and scanning apps. Augmented reality. Photography (if you're not easily embarassed). We use ours as a baby monitor with iCamSource sometimes where the iPad is the crib cam and the Macbook is the receiver.

There are tons of uses out there and its possible to have both so I don't see why people are so upset over its existence simply because they don't use it. Its still such a new market that we have yet to see what sort of creative ideas can come from an iPad with no compromises.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I use it often and find it extraordinarily handy. Examples: my new lawnmower developed an oil leak. Took a photo of it and went to Sears with my iPad to show them. Easier than taking the lawn mower. If I see something in a store that I think a relative might like, I take a photo of it and send it with a text message to get an opinion. I also take photos of important sections of manuals for household tools and pop them into DropBox. Easier than searching for the manual when it's needed.

In good light, the camera does a very nice job. Here's an example of one of the first photos I took with my iPad 2:

Do you have a phone?

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Yah Ido all that with iPhone. I'd use the cameras more if they were better. FaceTime sucks on the iPad due to crap cameras.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I am personally looking forward to the purported higher quality camera. If it matches my iphone 4s camera then I can see using it. I find taking photos without a viewfinder challenging. Having a razorsharp 10 inch retina display to frame shots will be a boon to my photos. However I can imagine I will look pretty silly taking shots.

I personally don't care though. I am a semi-pro photographer(shooting a few weddings, and product shoots a year), but I have pretty much given up using anything but my iphone day to day. The only exceptions are in the water, or for special occasions. Otherwise my 7d, sony TX10, and s95 are collecting dust. If you told me that I would be switching to a cellphone as my primary 4 years agoI would have insisted that you were crazy. Maybe the ipad will be the same once equipped with a 8mp camera.

I am really looking forward to the retina display for reviewing shots though. I shoot with eye-fi mobile x2 cards that automatically beam shots to my ios devices. The retina display will be a game changer for photographers on the go.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

A dumb one. Has a camera, but I've never used it.

Sounds like you need a smart phone.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
I'd much prefer a much better iPhone camera

I always carry my iPhone and rarely carry the iPad (when I do it's in my backpack)

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I accidentally voted only for FaceTime when I meant to put never.

The camera is just low quality. I wish there was more augmented reality apps.

I know of a few augmented apps for iPhone, I sure hope they release a ipad version. That'd be sweet to have augmented driving on an iPad screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.