Poll: Who has had success with HD replacement in uMBP (2009+)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HaroldC, Jan 11, 2010.

1. HaroldC macrumors regular

I am in the process of researching HD replacements for my 250Gb in my 13" uMBP as I would like to have more room for stuff. After searching threads here about replacements, it seems some people are having stalling and beachball issues with their replacement HDs in their uMBPs.

So here is my poll:

1. Have you replaced the HD in a uMBP (with motion sensor) with no ill effects?
    2. If so, what brand and size HD? and....
    3. What model uMBP

TIA! :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. With motion sensor do you mean the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) in the MacBooks or any anti-shock protection that some HDDs have?
    I bought a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 without gForce (Seagate's name for its AS-system = ASS?) and replaced it fine without problems and interference on a 17" uMBP.

2. Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB

3. 2.8GHz 17" uMBP

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1. Yes
    3. Late 08 2.53 MBP.

btw, I've incurred no problems with this drive. My machine is noticeably faster with the 7200rpm drive and I'm happy I upgraded

4. Eruanno macrumors newbie

Wait, the motion sensor in the MacBooks aren't on the HDD itself, right?

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

No. And that's why it conflicts with the built in motion sensors of aftermarket hard drives.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, thus no HDDs with motion sensors are needed.

7. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

That's correct. I installed a drive without sudden motion sensor and works fine and costs less.

8. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I've heard so many different opinions, loads of people say it's on the HDD, others say it's built into the mobo. Some people say you should disable HDD motion sensors so they don't conflict with the mobo, some say you should ensure to get a disc with sensors as the mobo doesn't have them.

I'd really like a final answer, but I haven't seen any proof from anyone yet.

9. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor Yes, all Apple portables have it on board. If you have an HDD with it and you run into problems, just disable the Apple SMS.

As to the OP;

1. Yes (2x)

3. Mid 09 13" 2.26 & Mid 09 15" 2.53

10. krimsen macrumors member

So, I'd guess the "G Force Protection" thingy advertised by Seagate is an SMS, then?

Which would mean you'd have to disable the on-board SMS with that particular drive.

Damn, according to this, that drive would offer approx. 2x the performance of my current HDD. For those who upgraded from stock HDDs: Is that realistic?

11. babak macrumors member

I've just installed a WD 640 Gb Scorpio Blude into a MBP 15" without a problem (so far, it's been less than a day :D)

12. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

1. yes I've done it successfully. I'm not sure about the motion sensor part???
    2. Hitachi 500GB 5400rpm drive
    3. 2.26 13inch MBP

-I've had absolutely no problems. The upgrade is very easy and this drive feels exactly the same as the stock drive on both leopard and snow leopard. That said I bought mine when all the fuss about the 1.7 firmware upgrade was happening here and I was extremely careful to avoid this update (I'm still on 1.6 firmware) Not sure if that has anything to do with my results.

13. HaroldC thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep them coming!

How do you disable the SMS on the motherboard?

14. HaroldC thread starter macrumors regular

15. krimsen macrumors member

I don't think so. It's even recommended to shut it off for drives featuring a SMS themselves or SSDs.

16. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You want to buy a replacement hdd that doesn't have a motion sensor. The motion sensor is taped to the top of the hdd inside of the mbp and you need to remove and replace it carefully when you swap out the drive.

1. Yes, I replaced my stock drive.
    2. 500 GB 5400rpm WD scorpio blue (model with no motion sensor)
    3. June 2009 13" MBP

17. babak macrumors member

I hadn't seen such a setup in 3 unibody Macbooks/MBPs I opened to replace hard-drives. There was nothing taped to the original drive.

18. bilals macrumors newbie

1) Yes, twice
    2) 250gb WD Scorpio Blue (5400rpm) and then 320gb WD Scorpio Black (7200rpm)
    3) uMBP 13" mid-2009 (with 1.6 EFI, downgraded from 1.7 because of the dodgy sata2 issues I got with the blue as it's also sata2)

19. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

1. Yes, I sucessfully replaced my internal drive.
    2. 500GB Hitachi HTS545050B9A300
    3. 13" 2.26GHz MBP, Son!

Habitus :apple:

20. iSushi macrumors newbie

1. yes
    2. wd 500gb
    3. 13" macbook pro

so far, no problem

21. bilals macrumors newbie

By the way, the issues with beachballing are down to either clashing motion sensors or because your EFI is 1.7 or above and your hard drive is a sata2 hard drive. Clashing motion sensors just means the hard drive keeps getting turned off unnecessarily, whereas the EFI sata2 issue causes all sorts of read/write issues.

The WD drives are sata2, as are most Seagates I find nowadays. I believe the Seagates have a jumper setting for old sata1 speed which stops the beachballing with EFI 1.7+

As long as your hard drive is sata1 (either because it is anyway, or with a jumper setting/firmware flash/etc) and doesn't have a built-in sensor, you should be fine.

fyi if you go for a WD drive, the Scorpios whose model numbers end in BEVS are the ones with motion sensors and the ones with BEVT are without.

22. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

17" Early 2009 upgraded to WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM 320GB. I ended up with one with the drop sensor, and there is no conflict with the built-in ubMBP SMS. I had a WD warranty swap with another 320GB w/o the drop sensor. WD sent the one with the drop sensor as a replacement. I was a bit hesitant, but figured I'd try it since others had reported no conflicts with this model. It runs fine, even if the SMS is tripped (oh so gently...).

There are no "hangs" or "slow-downs". Everything runs normally.

23. davidlv macrumors 65816

1. Yes on 2nd try
    2. Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB (model without motion sensor)
    This drive has no perceptible vibration or noise, temp. is 1 or 2 degrees
    higher on the average, speed feels, and tests about 20% faster than the
    stock 5,400rpm Toshiba 250GB drive.
    1st tried a WD 500GB 5,400rpm drive (model with or without motion
    sensor?) was problematic, reason unknown, with annoying pauses.
    3. Sept. 09 2.53 MBP.

24. HaroldC thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That is definitely good info, especially the WD model number info.

Everyone else, keep the responses coming! Thanks!:)