Poll: Who here has stopped Jailbreaking (for now at least).

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Are you done with jailbreaking?

1. I'm tired of jailbreaking... it doesn't seem worth it anymore.

47 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. I'm jailbroken and I love it!

62 vote(s)
    54.4%
  3. What is jailbreaking?

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've completely lost interest in Jailbreaking after all the crappy methods for 1.1.3 and from all the reports that most of the software is buggy or broken when running on 1.1.3 anyway. Right now, I'm rockin' a 1.1.3 iPod touch with no jailbreak and I've got plenty of WebClips to keep me busy. Plus, Mail and Notes are handy. I don't see a real incentive to jailbreak anymore. What are your thoughts?

2. tycsteel macrumors newbie

I have lost interest in jailbreaking too. i have been jailbroken since the first big release and i loved it but now its to unstable and i like the updates apple gives. soo i am no longer jailbroken and running the $20 update and i love it.

nowww on the other hand im about to buy an iPhone and i will deffinatly be jailbreaking it to unlock it i have no choice since im 16 and have no steady job and we have an att family plan but we get a discount on our bill and they said if i were to add the iphone data package i would have to get rid of the discount and parents said noppe soo i only can jailbreak if i want an iPhone

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Once 1.1.3 released, I bought the update and quit jailbreaking. Those five apps were the only jailbroken apps I ever used anyway.

4. Pippen Man macrumors regular

I gave up on Jailbreaking because of the stability of 1.1.3. Which was...horrible. Not like what 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 used to be. So, looking forward to SDK Day and 1.1.4 or 1.2. The best part is I don't have to worry about my iPod "bricking" the moment the new update rolls out! :D :apple:

5. aki macrumors 6502a

for me there are still some apps i must have... Books mostly but also gpsphone..... the other ones i guess are just for fun

i think a lot of people think jailbreakers want "free stuff" but i think most jailbreakers are actually more like a hobby....thats why so many apps are old emus and frotz and things like that

6. Tuckmonster macrumors regular

I ask you all this question- why even upgrade to 1.1.3 when a 1.1.1 jailbroken ipod works fine...no problems here

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.3 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Webclips would be fine if I lived in a country/city that had wifi. Since the only place I can use wifi is my house, and since I use my iPod primarily when I'm NOT at home, webclips are absolutely worthless to me. In fact, not one of the icons on my three springboard pages is a webclip icon. ;)

Also, I absolutely cannot stand the black background on a 'vanilla' iPod. I mean, it shows off every little smudge on your screen - it's ugly as hell. IMO. Not to mention the fact that you can't change any icons on a vanilla Touch. BORING!!!

Jailbreak FTW. Jailbreaking transforms your iPod from a cool gadget to a personalized and highly useful one. PDA + handheld gaming platform + iPod? You can't beat that combination, and it only works if you Jailbreak. My 1.1.3 Dev Team JB is rock-solid stable, all of my apps work well, and my iPod looks EXACTLY like I want - way cooler than you non-JB peoples' pods. ;)

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.3 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

In one word? Lyrics.

It amazes me how many people whined about not having lyrics, and now that it's finally here in 1.1.3 (and implemented in a very cook way - kudos to Apple!) nobody seems to care. Oh well.

Yeah - lyrics alone are reason enough to upgrade. ;)

9. Pippen Man macrumors regular

So, I take it that you DON'T have 1.1.4 or 1.2 circled on your calendar? Us "Vanilla" (or what ever you call it, I call them Non-Jailbroken iPod touches) will update our iPods the SECOND 1.1.4 or 1.2 comes out. As for all of the Jailbroken iPods? These forums are going to be littered with the typical "Is it safe to update?" "Oh No! I think I seriously have a BRICKED iPod touch!" "Is 1.1.4/1.2 Jailbroken yet?"

Yup, I'm counting down the days.;) No offense mate, if you took any :) :apple:

10. Brendan.Porter macrumors member

Yep, I'm done.

I followed Jailbreaking (the entire reason I bought my 8GB Touch... seemed pointless otherwise) all the way to 1.1.3, but now it's all convoluted and retarded. I've got the software update, and Notes is 80% of my non-internet use. I am waiting patiently (barely) for the SDK and for the torrent of software released from iTunes. I'm so excited I can't stand it.

While waiting I've rented about a dozen movies. Love iTunes rentals.

What would you guys pay for each app? I'd put out $2-5 each depending on their value...

I want Texas Hold'em like Scenario offers (or give us google-gears style offline browsing), VNC, Terminal, iChat, and more that I can't think of right now. The offline browsing would rock my world.

11. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Still using 1.1.2 jailbroken, don't care much for the 1.1.3 jailbreak with all the rumors of buggy jailbroken itouches and such. I keep looking in installer for new cool apps but sadly, I haven't used that for a LOOONG time now.

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's true, you'll be able to update immediately (to that heinous black wallpaper, stock icon interface) but I'll have to wait a few days. That's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to make! ;)

13. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

Same its so boring now

Im into Call of duty 4 now :)

14. jbarr macrumors regular

Before v1.1.3 came out, I jailbroke my IPT, and had lots of fun. Then after restoring back to "stock", upgrading to v1.1.3, and shelling out $20 for the "Januay Update" apps, I was very satisfied. Personally, all I really wanted as an enhancement was the Notes application so that I could actually enter data INTO my iPod Touch while on-the-go. Then, I found the Wikipedia.app, and realized that until I see enough SDK-developed applications being distributed that interested me, a v1.1.3 Jailbroken IPT was where I needed to be. So, I found ZiPhone, and well, there I am.

15. The Menacer macrumors member

I'm over jailbreaking. Every time I do it, i end up undoing it because I like the way that Apple sets it up from the factory. I am what I can an "Apple Purist." I don't change any settings on anything I get from them. I don't change the background on my Macs, and I don't change the Brightness on my iPhone. I just am a freak likt that lol.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hmm... Interesting. I'm not going to flame you because I'm weird about my computers and devices too. Everything's gotta be just right... spaced just right, aligned, and stuff... I'm such a neat freak on the computer but, I'm a mess in my real life.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Odd that a self-proclaimed 'Apple purist' could've missed the point of the Think different campaign so entirely. ;)

18. dagored macrumors 65816

I'm so happy with my jailbroken Touch, that I would need a really good reason to upgrade to 1.1.4 when it comes out for the SDK.

I surf the net, check mail, listen to music, get notifications from my calendar, have a ToDo list that reminds me (I need reminded quite often), play games, listen to Flytunes, etc.

Plus, the icons look like I Think they should and I spot them easily to Touch.

If I had more Wifi spot around me, I would opt for the mic by Touchmods and use VOip also.

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I've jailbroken each update from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 and now I have no need to jailbreak since I finally have 1.1.3 working with summer board and 98% working with customize. I got a couple games I play on the pod when on the train I'm happy with jailbreaking

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I jailbroke 1.1.1 and kept it that way until I tried upgrading to 1.1.3 which failed, and I couldn't get downgrading to work so now I am running 1.1.3 unjailbroken, and I don't plan on jailbreaking again unless there is a new jailbreak method after the SDK that does not require starting at 1.1.1.

21. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

I got my iPod Touch for Christmas and I Jailbroke it on the 28th. A couple of days before Macworld, I restored to vanilla 1.1.2. I then upgraded to 1.1.3 when it became available and bought the January Update very soon after. A couple of weeks after I went back to 1.1.2 Jailbroken. Not long after that I upgraded back to 1.1.3 Jailbroken using the dev team upgrader.

On the 25th I will restore to vanilla 1.1.3 in preparation for the rumored Apple event the following day.

I'm just thinking when the touch came out it was proving difficult to Jailbreak it, it was "Self Healing" itself after attempts. Then the 1.1.1 update came soon after bringing with it the TIFF exploit which some people now take advantage of.

22. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

23. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

I like the lyrics feature as well as webclips and newer maps. Happen to know any tools that will update lyrics in my entire iTunes library?

It took me about a week to finally get my iPod jailbroken to 1.1.3. Each night a new method, finally I found one that worked absolutely perfect for me. Hasn't crashed once since.

Embarrassing to admit, but the two reasons I prefer the jailbreak is Summerboard and Solitaire. Other things are nice but seldom used. I suspect that will change once they release the sdk and some games. Then I'll happily hand over my $20. The 'wiggles' replaced Customize for me. 1 down, 2 to go.

Edit: What am I saying, I'll be jailbroken at LEAST until Apple gives us iChat. That's a really nice feature I would miss if I went vanilla.

24. bnizzy macrumors member

i personally dont understand what all the complaining is about.
    i JB mine on JB version 1.1.3. love it.
    if you dont, then dont get it.
    if its too complicated for you and you dont want to put time into it, then dont.

i admit getting to 1.1.3 may not have been a walk in the park, but i honestly enjoyed the time spent JB it and figuiring it out, because in the end, i get to make my iTouch MY iTouch, not just another apple clone. bunch of ppl i know who have iTouches and didnt JB theirs, they get bored of it pretty quickly.. whereas i have an endless library of uselessly necessary apps to mess with. not to mention all the customization and other features.

25. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I'm at JB 1.1.2 and it works fine for me. We'll see what happens when the next update and SDK roll out. I never got 1.1.3 to work, but I only tried it once. Way to many different ways to try to do it out there, not worth the hassle to me. :(