Poll:Would you buy a 17 inch macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Sep 2, 2009.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

2. stooley macrumors regular

Just bought a 17 in on Monday...main reason is the resolution. I find myself doing several things at once and do not always have another monitor available so the extra space on the screen helps out quite a bit in my situation.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any thing bigger than 15", really needs a keypad, because all the Windows Computers of that size include them, and they are quite handy for gaming.

TEG

4. jointsmoking macrumors regular

No. I much prefer the smaller foot print. I just bought a 13 inch MBP and love it to death. No need for a 17 inch monster in my bag.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Too big for a laptop IMO.

I'm planning on buying a new MBP in the first quarter of 2010. I'm considering the 15", but will most likely stick with the 13". For portability, 13" is perfect for me.

6. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I had my intentions on getting a 17" because of the battery and the resolution, but once they came out with the new MBPs I began looking at the 15". I compared them in-store, and the 17" is really big and could be a pain carrying around. I have the 15" and it is the perfect balance of power, screen size, and mobility for me.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't really have a choice anymore since the masses didn't use expresscard, and I currently use and have future plans for expresscard based solutions so the 13 and the 15 inch are out of the equation for my next mac purchase.

8. pjazzy macrumors newbie

I've got a 17" laptop. Its perfect for my bedroom but I needed something more portable so I've just bought a 13" MBP instead :)

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Apparently a lot of people would...

The only reason for me would be the resolution. I can't justify spending that much on a laptop in the first place so it's a non-issue.

If the 15 had similar specs and a higher resolution (1650x1080) I think I would pick that instead.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay, if money weren't an object. I'd get the 17" because it's such a beautiful machine, moreso than the 15" because the bezel is thinner compared to the size of the screen. Plus I'm typing this on my 17" which I occasionally carry to Uni and it doesn't bother me. The isn't that much weight diff from the 15 anyway.

And also since money is no object. I'd buy a 13" MBP when I go travelling on a plane since the seats are so short (come to think of it, if money is no object, then I'd be flying business/first class so I'd have all the room I need :D). Then I'd go home to my MP.

11. Scippy macrumors regular

I have to say, that I prefer that 15" size, as its still very portable and if I need to use a bigger screen I can always hook it up to an external monitor.

12. spike8585 macrumors member

I just bought the 17" last week. Mostly because I enjoy a large, hi-res screen, and I rarely take it out of the house. But I do like to be able to move from room to room, and go on the balcony with it.
    If I took it everywhere I went, work, or school, I definitely would have went with the 15". That's a great size also. It was hard to choose.

13. felt. macrumors 6502a

anything less than full HD resolution in portable system is unacceptable :D

14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Bought one in June and would do it all over again. 17" for me is just right and if or really in the near future I'll be adding another monitor. Money at the time was a strong consideration however I made sure I bought the most I could while still leaving money for some backup drives ;)

15. kolax macrumors G3

If I could get someone to buy my April 09' MacBook Pro for around £1100 (3 years AppleCare) then I'd be able to fund the upgrade to the 17".

I really really regret not buying the 17" - the higher resolution display in matte just makes me melt.

One day!

16. darkdream macrumors member

No.. if I want a 17 inch or larger it wouldn't be for much portability... just gaming and in that case I would get a fully speced alienware m17x, which I just ordered moments ago. =)

17. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

18. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Neither poll option makes sense to me. I would not buy 17" laptop, but I don't want an iMac or an external display (for my laptop) either.

19. darkdream macrumors member

+1... The choices on the poll are poorly made. Price was not a factor for me, but I would not own a 17 inch macbook pro unless they design a better one for gaming (at least in the same league as the alienware m17x) in which case I would be willing to spend up to $5,000.

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Why would you buy a mac for gaming anyway. Or an alienware laptop for that matter. Get a desktop, have upgrade ability. Who needs to travel constantly for gaming?

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

22. darkdream macrumors member

I already have a decked out gaming desktop. I like having portability even if it is occasional to lan with some college friends in my free time when I am not interning/studying or to take home during school breaks (I would not like to disconnect everything and lug it back home...I rather leave it in my condo). You would be shocked at how many laptops I own, but most of them I would agree were a waste of money; however, I doubt my alienware will be a waste.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You poll options are extremely lacking,
    for instance, I opted for the 15" MBP because I didn't want pay heft price tag for the 17" or want to lug the beast around.

Its not an either or choice, the Imac has its place and fits peoples needs, so doesn't the 13" and 15" MBP.

In fact I can see someone avoiding the 17" MBP, getting the 13" MBP with an external display.

24. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I would never buy a 17 inch macbook because imo it's just too big too be carried around, and still too small to be comfortable at home, so i just get a powerful desktop with 24inch screen and a 13" portable macbook on the side.

25. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

A bought a 17" MacBook Pro 3 weeks ago and the price is fine. Your poll sucks because if you click less, we're agreeing with your opinion that it costs too much.