Polycarbonate iBook vs Aluminum PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aleccj1, Apr 19, 2009.

1. aleccj1 macrumors newbie

I'm getting a laptop soon, but I want to stay away from Intel (by brother can get pretty sneaky, one day I could have OS X, next day I could boot up into Windows, it's happened b4...). Here's what it has come to:
    iBook G4- 14 inch, 1.45 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Combo Drive, $660
    OR
    PowerBook G4- 15 inch, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Combo Drive, $700

I could go either way, so it has basically come down to these questions:
    1. Which is more durable- Aluminum or Polycarbonate- I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my electronics, so this is just from YOUR experience.
    2. Do the last gen iBooks (like one listed above) stain yellowish brown on the palmrests like the white MacBooks?

My only uses for these would be web browsing, email, and word processing. I really would not take this laptop out of my house- only once in a while.
    Opinions are appreciated.

EDIT: I will not get an INTEL

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I'm pretty sure I have OCD, but I would definitely get the PowerBook.
    The design of the iBook and white MacBook gets old quickly. Whereas I still appreciate the design of the PowerBook/MBP/uMBP.

Thats just me though.

PS: Thats a pretty bad reason to not buy an Intel......

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sorry, but why are you looking to get a machine with the PowerPC architecture? They're not even going to be supported much longer. If you're worried about your brother installing Windows on an intel just set a firmware password.

Anyway, my vote is for the Aluminum powerbook.

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Wasnt the exact same thread posted yesterday?

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The bigger screen slightly faster CPU, and additional ram are all well worth the difference in cost - I would get the Powerbook...

That said, for about $150 more, you could get a refurb white MacBook with a full factory warranty., that would be MUCH faster and last MUCH longer than any of the PowerPC machines.

$700 seems a bit steep for the PowerPC machines...

What about a firmware password to keep your brother out? Isn't there a way to do this on the MacBooks?

6. aleccj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, well, my brother and I are both major computer nerds. He is a diehard Windows fanboy, while I am a diehard Apple fanboy. I set up a pass, he always finds ways around it, i find a new way to block him, it goes on forever...

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Get a Safe, heh

really though you can get a first gen macbook for under 600, i would never pay that much money for a G4, you wont even run youtube on leopard without video lagg. Not worth the money

PS: If you buy a G4, that means your brother won!!

8. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

If you tell your brother to stop, he really should. It's your own property.

How old are you anyway?

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

get an intel, iCantwait to get rid of my iBook 14 (like what you're looking at)
    im going a new MBP.

my iBook is still really clean, no yellowing.

10. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

The iBook is a very durable machine. We still have one that we use every day (we bought the last revision of the iBook, 1.5 GHz, before Apple moved over to Intel and the Macbook). The fact that PowerPC will not be supported for much longer is, however, something to think about.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I would get the PowerBook if you can afford it. It will last longer then an iBook.

12. Slurpy2k8 macrumors 6502

With all due respect, this is one of the stupidest things Ive ever read. So you're going to buy a laptop that is obsolete so your brother 'can't install windows on it'? And you're willing to pay $700 for a computer that is 5 years old, with a completely outdated architcture that the next OSX may not even support?? Seems like a piss poor way of using your $$, but whatever floats your boat. It's your computer- your brother has no right to screw around with it (especially installing a new OS), and you should make that clear.

13. aleccj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but I kind of mess with his stuff too.:D

14. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea and an almost identical one the day before that...

15. mpqtpie macrumors member

mpqtpie

I have a 14" ibook powerpc, like you mentioned above. I do have a bit of staining on the palmrests. It's not that bad though, so don't let that be a reason to get or not get this model. However, it runs video very slowly. Flash video runs in slow motion basically.

I have loved this computer though. it's been very reliable. it's just becoming a bit outdated and slow. If you don't have to do any hardcore computing like video, flash, adobe software, etc. then this is probably fine. Otherwise, I'd get a newer model.

I'm actually probably gonna buy a new mac this week, so I can have more speed. The Adobe programs are running very slowly on this.

By the way, i had a powerbook before this and hated it. It was a 12" powerbook and it had major overheating issues and kernel panics. i've been much much happier with the 14" ibook. I'll probably get one of the new macbooks.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a MacBook and put an EFI firmware password on it.

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I hope you realise it's against the forum rules to post what is pretty much the same topic more than once.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

OH, THANK GOD! I was starting to worry about early onset Alzheimer's there for a minute or two.