Polyphonic ringtones

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Senator, Jun 16, 2007.

1. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

I know how to create ringtones with itunes but How do i create polyphonic ringtones?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

5. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

yeah. like making a regular song a midi so it sounds like a polyphonic ringtone or something. And can I do this with garageband?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Although Garageband will let you create polyphonic (multi-instrument) songs, it can't export MIDI.

Something like Live is needed or there are a few shareware MIDI apps out there.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You should be able to export MIDI files as audio in QuickTime Pro, if you want to do that. No free software that I'm aware of which will let you do arrange MIDI files etc...

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Garage Band will export MIDI as an audio file, if your phone supports them.

But, if you can get it in MIDI, it takes up MUCH less room in the device.

9. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think the easiest is to use the Share -> Export Song to Disk...

Then you will probably need to convert the m4a (AAC) to mp3. If you don't have an app to do this, then either drag the exported song to iTunes, change it's import setting (iTunes prefs advanced importing) to whatever you need for your device, then use "Convert Selection to [mp3]..."

(if you go the iTunes route to encode MP3, use GarageBand's Share -> Send Song to iTunes, then method above to convert to mp3)

11. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

nah I want to convert my mp3 to a midi file or somthing so it sounds like a polyphonic ringtone, like the early ringtones before we could mp3's on our phones

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

So, you're going to compose MIDI tracks based on the melody of a MP3? (a bit confused now)

If it's a popular song, you probably will be able to find a MIDI version of it online. Then, you can clip the section you're interested in and either save as MIDI (if you find an app that exports MIDI) or just let QT convert it to audio.

13. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

thanks alot man. I'd just like to point out I'm a complete retard when it comes to audio

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Hope that was what you needed after all. You can see where I got confused :)

Anyway, MIDI contains the instructions for playing a sampled or synthesized instrument. Example: "middle C key down" (waits for 1/4 note time) "middle C key up". Whichever instrument (like "piano") was selected in the MIDI file will then play a middle C for one quarter note's time. This is why MIDI files are so small - and why it's so easy to edit.

Whereas, MP3, AIFF, etc. contain the actual audio waveform information.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I might not be understanding this properly, but converting an MP3 to MIDI won't change anything. It won't add any extra components to the track to make it sound like you want, will it?