Pontiac G8... DAMN!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ryannel2003, May 1, 2008.

1. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Hey everybody! I'm very excited, mainly because my dealership has just received 3 brand new Pontiac G8's all the way from down under (Australia if you didn't know that) and I have to say I'm very impressed with the car. It has tons of power, has a very decent interior (not GM's best traits in Pontiac models), and is an actual real wheel drive car. My dealership is the last in the area to receive this car, and everybody was standing outside waiting when they pulled up on the truck. The Liquid Red G8 is the real standout. You can see the shape of the car and how beautiful it is, and notice the hood scoops (that don't have any use) and the tail lights really stand out as well. Car has 6 liter 361 horsepower V8 with 4 cylinder deactivation and uses rear wheel drive (thank the aussies for your wonderful platform)

But the real pleasure is driving the car. It handles very much like a BMW 5-series, but with a better ride (mainly due to the longer wheelbase). The car is firm, but not overly so. The interior is also very nice, with a nicely textured dash and a kick-ass stereo system (Blaunkput 11 speaker 230 watt system with sub) and very comfortable sport seats.

Finally, GM has pulled Pontiac out of the gutter with this car. The Solstice was a half-assed effort, but this car more than makes up for it. A real contender to the Charger R/T (just got my latest Car and Driver where the two are compared; the G8 wins by a mile) and it will be interesting to see where GM takes the Pontiac brand from here (GXP model will be out next year with a 6spd manual and 420hp). Here are some pictures of the two cars we got (my dealer also has a G8 V6 in white, but not nearly as handsome) I'll get better pictures tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The G8 is pretty sweet. I think you mean 5 series as the 3 series will easily outperform/ out handle the G8 GT due to being smaller, lighter, and more agile. The 5 series is more of the G8's size. If only I was a year younger I would of waited for this thing instead of buying the Aura XR. Though I do love the Saturn experience.

Good idea parking the G8 next to the Vibe. Will make the G8 look even better next to that ugly thing, IMHO. Both the new Matrix and Vibe are pretty ugly, IMHO.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fingers crossed, you'll get our Statesman in the shape of a Buick. It's the LWB version for fat executives. :cool:

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Looks cool but it looks like a BMW knockoff... I wish carmakers would be more original.

5. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Yeah it's a lot closer to the 5 series in size, but it's closer to 3 series price. The 5-series is overpriced in my opinion, especially compared to the other offerings on the market. But I should have said 5 series, thats even what the poster says in my dealer.

You would be very happy with this G8. They are very cheap for what you're getting, and is very Germanic on the inside (something I'm usually not a fan of). My dealer is ripping people off though, marking them up big time over the sticker of $31,845.00. For much more money than that, I'd be picking up an '08 CTS.

The Vibe isn't a great car at all. It has a very minivan-like seating position, has weird controls that don't even suit a typical GM car (too much Toyota-ness in this Pontiac). I love Toyota, but the Matrix is terrible. It's really much uglier than the previous version, and much more terrible than the Corolla is. Idk, but I'm sure they'll sell tons of 'em just because of the badges.

6. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I got a chance to drive the V8 G8 last week and I was not impressed with the interior materials but the exterior is very nice. I'd personally wait for the GXP if you really wanted one, lack of a manual transmission option on the current V8 offering is incredibly disappointing. :(

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a problem I have with lots of the recent (after the Vibe or so) Pontiacs. There are some very good looking cars. Love the hardtop convertible. But I absolutely will not drive a car like that with an automatic transmission. The Solstice is obviously a standout, but other than that.... Or have any of the G5s or G6s become available with a stick since then?

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

its good to see that GM is really updating their line; it kinda sad too that their always taking from Holden and Opel for their new hits

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

doesn't look like anything groundbreaking in terms of style to me.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well Holden is like Pixar is to Disney, even before Disney bought Pixar. GM can't come up with the goods themselves, so they just look to the Aussies and see what they've come up with recently. I don't know about this "Wow, look what GM has done" talk. GM is just very good at rebadging to help their American brands like Pontiac.

I don't like the way the car looks, nor do I like its poor fuel efficiency. If you plan on owning this car for more than 3 years, you have to think about that, because in a few years, you may be paying $6 per gallon, and if you want to sell your car because you can't afford the gas/petrol, who will buy it from you? Everyone else is thinking the same thing.

Then there's the environmental factor of having a car built for you, and find out that nobody wants your car, including yourself.

12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

bah! I always hated the front grill on Pontiacs (and the rear too). This is a tad better looking, but generally fugly cars IMO.

13. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I don't really like the styling of any of the Pontiacs except for the G8 but looks are subjective. The G5 and the G6 (GXP only I believe) are available with a manual.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, thanks. Not the drop top, sadly. :(

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

This thing is just as fugly as every other POS Pontiac comes out with.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

What's wrong with using your global products? So what the G8 is a rebadged Holden VE Commodore? It isn't sold in the US as a Holden. Pontiac is the only way you can get it here in the US. The Acura TL is a rebadged European Accord. Do I see anyone complaining?

15/24 is pretty good for its class(GT). Name me another V8 sedan that gets significantly more then that? The Dodge Charger R/T gets 15/23. The BMW 550i gets 15/23. The Mercedes E550 gets 15/23. If you are buying a V8 sedan you know what you're getting yourself into. Don't buy something you can't afford. Which this country needs to learn badly.

Do you like the Vauxhaul VXR?

17. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Yeah Pontiac hasn't had the greatest track record within the past 30 years, especially with cars like the Grand Am and Sunfire. This car is a huge improvement for them, and I'm sure the car will be a success. I will say after looking at the car again the interior isn't beautiful, but for $30k you could get much worse (especially the Charger).

But for $2k more, I'd be getting a CTS.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The G8 isn't bad, but it doesn't particularly do anything for me either.

I consider it hilarious that they keep making each generation look so much like the generation before. This isn't classic Corvette styling we're handing down from generation to generation, folks, just a relatively run of the mill Pontiac.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't wait to see where GM's testing of the turbo 2L motor in the next-generation Buick LaCrosse goes.

Green light for that will get people to rethink economy and small engines in larger cars again.

The 30-32 mpg for a G8 won't hurt either.

20. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I agree. I saw the concept for the next LaCrosse and it's a pretty awesome looking car. Not the typical Buick by any means

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nothing is wrong with using your global products, but what do GM/Pontiac engineers actually.....do? They just seem to have jobs, but why? Ever see Office Space? Remember the fat older guy with the glasses who gets fired because his job was to take a piece of paper from the customer, and deliver it to the engineers? That's a Pontiac engineer.

Obviously, I don't mind that a company sells its products in more than one country. However, you have to wonder why the company has to turn to Australia for their engineering prowess. This isn't the same thing as sharing a platform, sharing car parts, etc. That car was developed entirely in Australia, and supposedly, almost entirely from scratch (despite looking a lot like all other Commodores). I understand that that they did a great job, but rather than say "Wow, look what we did at GM/Pontiac", give no credit to Pontiac and "their" new hit. Holden seem to do a good job purely on skill and their love of cars, and NOT because they have more resources than any other brand at GM (yes, I know it cost a lot to develop that car).

I guess I wouldn't mind if people weren't saying "This new Pontiac is an improvement from them". It isn't. They still suck as much as they did before they rebadged another Holden.

Exactly.

22. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I can definitely see your point of view when it comes to GM sometimes pathetic rebadging choices (aka the Lambda quadruplets and their midsize cars) but I don't think this car sucks one bit. This car is important for the Pontiac brand, which was probably the next (Buick as well) to become extinct.

The GM designers have done a good job with the Cadillac CTS, STS, XLR and SRX. They all have their own unique feel and can hold their own against competition; especially the new CTS, which has been raved about by almost every single car magazine, and Consumer Reports also gave it a decent rating.

GM does have lots of work to do, especially in the Buick and Pontiac brands, which are in the worst shape right now. Buick sales continue to decline, and Pontiac's G6 is in need of a huge refresh and they need to drop the unecessary products (G5, Torrent, Grand Prix) which are all being dumped sooner or later (thank god sooner).

23. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm not sure if I buy this line of reasoning. I hear it all the time - "That guy must hate his Hummer now!" But in the case of the G8 (never mind the Hummer), you have a person in a financial position to put down $35K for a vehicle. Not necessarily wealthy by any means, but obviously doing just fine. Let's say they drive as I do, about 15K miles/year. Let's also say they average 20mpg in the G8. That means that if gas prices end up at $6/gallon, they'll be paying roughly another $120/month in gas over what they pay now.

Now that's enough money to kind of make me shake my head, but it's not nearly enough to influence my purchasing decisions. Especially since I'm making a conscious choice to buy a performance car to begin with. I mean really, I'll blow that in booze on a Friday night with my buddies. My cable bill is almost twice that.

So we can talk environment all day long, but this financial business just doesn't seem to make sense to me when it comes to people making these kinds of purchases.

24. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

25. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

You know, I'm not even of driving age yet, but I can agree that they've come pretty far. I'll bet the average age of a new Buick owner has dropped by 10-20 years since 2000.