Poor battery health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mciancia, Oct 19, 2016.

1. mciancia macrumors newbie

Hi
    Does 3 year apple care cover also battery replacements in case of lower capacity?
    Apple claims that battery should have around 80% of original capacity or more after 1000 cycles.
    If so - how can I check it and how apple checks it?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, AC does cover batteries.
    Are you having issues with battery life, though?

I tend to avoid 'battery health' applications unless I'm seeing an issue. Batteries will always fluctuate and deplete naturally over time anyway. It's the nature of the beast. Checking percentages will only fuel paranoia and hinder your enjoyment of the machine. If you're not actively seeing a noticeable drop in battery life, you needn't worry.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can check your battery health in System Information, Power tab.
    That will show you a variety of information about your battery, and your power settings, such as the battery Cycle Count, and your present charge condition, such a Full Charge Capacity.
    Anyway, it's good information to look at if you begin to see battery issues, such as noticeable drop in battery life.

4. mciancia thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I noticed lower battery life, but that was expected after almost 3 years and as I used it mostly on charger in the last few months I didn't think much about it.

But what recently kept me digging was that a few times when I had around 25-30% of battery and I started some kind of cpu-intense task that would load all four cores (I have 15" rmbp) it went to sleep and would not turn back on until I connected charger - after that computer woke up and as computation was interrupted it again showed around the same remaining battery charge.
    After that I used coconutBattery to check battery health under little load and it showed 87% of original capacity. But when I started some cpu-intense task, it dropped to 63%...

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Take your MBPro in for service. If there is a warranty issue, and if your battery is covered, Apple will take care of that.

What is your Cycle Count on the battery? CoconutBattery will tell you that value. With nearly 3 years, if your cycle count is above 1,000, then Apple may decide that you have to purchase a replacement battery.

6. mciancia thread starter macrumors newbie

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Find out what Apple will do for you - if anything.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try confirming the cycle count using Cocounut Battery, that wil give you original mAh rating vs the current mAh rating.

9. mciancia thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I did ;)
    Anyway, I'm gonna take it to local authorized service, see what they think about it