Poor YouTube performance: Who is to blame?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by deannnnn, Mar 17, 2013.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Hey guys,

I've been frustrated about my poor YouTube performance and was wondering if anyone here may have some insight on it.

I have Verizon FiOS, which is considered to be one of the best and fastest ISPs in America. I have the 50/25 plan (50 Mbps up, 25 down), which is one of their lower end plans but still more than powerful enough to handle pretty much any internet usage.

Overall the service is good, but I have a lot of trouble with YouTube. I'm using a rMBP so I always try to load videos in 1080p, but they frequently take forever to load, or buffer frequently. It's inconsistent too. Sometimes it is able to load 1080p videos in a second, but other times (especially during peak traffic times) it struggles and loads so slowly that I give up and close the video.

Speed tests show consistently high speeds. Never lower than the 40's, but right now (Sunday at 10pm, peak hours) I'm trying to stream the Ultra Music Festival on YouTube and it can't play more than a couple of seconds at 720p. So I'm streaming at 480p and it has STILL stopped to buffer several times already. I mean, this is ridiculous.

So who is to blame here? Is YouTube just overloaded? Does FiOS throttle YouTube? Or am I just getting bad service from FiOS and bogus speed test results? I mean, I streamed this same music festival a year ago at 720p on my parents' 20 Mbps Comcast connection with no difficulties.

Do other people have trouble with YouTube like this? Or is this exclusive to me? I am in New York City so there's obviously a lot of demand for bandwidth here.

Just looking for opinions and advice.
    Thanks!

2. Svend macrumors member

It's likely flash and it's buffering. Right click on a youtube video > click the folder > slide to the far right (unlimited) > uncheck the box > close. See if that helps.

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I noticed I have zero issues in chrome so safari definitely is more edgy around flash.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

YouTube's 1080p performance sucks for me too despite having more than fast enough speeds for it (I don't have FIOS) so I don't think it's your ISP.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm using Uverse at much lower bandwidth than the OP. I have no problem streaming HD video in Chrome or through Netflix, but Firefox is dreadfully slow at almost any resolution. I don't think it's an ISP issue, either.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have U-verse and I can stream HD with no problem from anywhere besides YouTube which is terrible in any browser. So I definitely think it's a YouTube problem.

You get what you pay for.

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

OP:

Nope, certainly not limited to you.

I'm on Comcast and they're generally good where I am (unless something breaks), and I get 55mbps down during speedtests.

Having said that, I've seen all of the behavior that you mention. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's better. There are times I can get a full 55mbps download of a 1080p file from Japan, but I can't even get 100kbps for a 240p postage-stamp sized video from here.

There have been some thoughts floating around that ISPs have been throttling YouTube, but I think it's just crummy routes.

If you're really hot for good YouTube performance, you might try a VPN to see if things get better.

Also, I recommend click-to-flash; you'll get H.264 videos instead of Flash. No ads in the H.264 either.

8. bmt134 macrumors 6502

Having same issues as you as are many others if you Google it. Google says it Verizon's end and Verizon says it's on Google's end. :rolleyes:

9. omarb123 macrumors newbie

omarb123

I'm having the same issue on my iMac. Which I actually just bought yesterday. Earlier today I was already getting frustrated, it being a day old. But before getting carried away in my thoughts- I uninstalled/reinstalled the latest flash version. Have tried both Chrome and Safari, and still getting horrible Youtube performance. I tried watching a few vids on my MBP I bought mid last year- to make sure it wasn't my new iMac, and surprisingly the issue is existent on the MBP as well. So... now what? I tried adjusting the "local storage" to unlimited, and it seemed to work for a few seconds, cause 1080p started buffering away. But tested a different video afterwards, and nothing happened. This is uh.. kinda frustrating.. :(

10. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Thanks for the responses everyone, glad to see it's not just me.

Svend: I tried this, and amazingly it seems to have made a pretty huge difference. I purposely waited several days to respond because I thought it was a coincidence, but I'm getting crazy fast load times on 1080p videos now.

I really have no idea why this setting should make a difference. If I have a fast connection, why would the Flash local storage amount matter? And why was I getting such random performance before changing this?

Regardless, thanks so much. You're the best.

I'll absolutely report back if this was in fact a coincidence and this turns out not to be a long term fix.

Also, just for the record, I'm using Chrome.

11. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

12. Svend macrumors member

Glad to see that it helped. I have Fios and also use Chrome. I guess it's something with the fast connection and not limiting how much youtube can buffer, so it just buffers alot of the video.

13. Mardovar macrumors newbie

Not Just Mac

I the same issue with YouTube and Verizon Fios on a PC with various browsers. Lately YouTube is unwatchable. Bandwidth tests show that raw bandwidth is not the problem.

14. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

never blame the computer or your ip always blame youtube

15. senseless, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

You are the man! I've struggled with this issue for months and this was the fix.

Edit: Now I'm not too sure. It's stalling again.

16. Richal macrumors newbie

I prefer to download the youtube videos for offline watching.

17. macalec macrumors 6502

How do you do that? I thought you can not export out flash?

18. Richal macrumors newbie

I just download it to the computers with the free downloading program.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Firefox (ver 15) is horrible with youtube videos for me. Running on FIOS. If I go to youtube I use safari or chrome.

20. macalec macrumors 6502

What is the program?

Thanks

21. gtstricky macrumors regular

gtstricky

I blame YouTube (google since they now own them). Amazing how the commercials stream fine and then the vid I actually wanted to watch never seems to buffer well.

22. TedM macrumors 6502

I have the exact same internet as you, but I do not experience this issue. Process of elimination at least...

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Google's YouTube give priority to Chrome, and penalizes browsers that are not Chrome.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I had the same problem with Chrome and gave up using that. Is this primarily a Mac problem or are PC users having the same issues.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Do you have any evidence of it or is it just Google bashing, because I have the problem in Chrome - the only browser I use.