Popover Ads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by friedmud, Dec 11, 2015.

1. friedmud macrumors 65816

I wanted to start a real conversation about the new Popup / Popover Ads on macrumors.com. I don't want to come in here and yell about them... or rant about them like a child. But I would like to provide some feedback to the site administrators.

Firstly: I don't use ad blockers of any kind. In fact: I subscribe to Google Contributor ( contributor.google.com ) and it currently shows that I have personally contributed over $25 to MacRumors over the past 6 months.

I don't bring that up so I can get a cookie... I bring it up so that you know that I'm not just a cheapskate that wants everything for free. I'm certainly willing to pay for things, or to view reasonable (and hopefully related) ads when I'm viewing websites.

With that out of the way: I am unhappy with the new "popup ads" on macrumors.com (the front page). I visit the site many times throughout the day (yes, I'm a fanboy...) and it is quite a nuisance. It definitely detracts from me wanting to just hit the "macrumors" button in my browser to see "what's up" when I have a free moment... because I might end up staring at an ad instead.

Personally, I think that macrumors has plenty of ads... and I normally actually enjoy them (because they are typically related to apple gear). I've actually clicked on a lot of ads on Macrumors over the years and even purchased products I clicked through to.

Are the site administrators _really_ sure that the Popup ads are necessary? I wonder if, in the long term, it might end up actually _hurting_ your ad impressions a bit as people (like me) are less likely to hit macrumors multiple times a day for a "quick fix".

Anyway... I hope this doesn't come across wrong. I sincerely enjoy Macrumors... and I want to see it succeed so I can continue to get up to the minute Apple news... but I just feel like there must be a better way than the popup ad...

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Thanks. We aren't supposed to have them. Working on it. Can you post a screenshot to me arn@normalkid.com if you run across it.

arn

3. friedmud thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah!

That's great news! Next time I spot one I'll let you know.

Keep up the good work!