Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I've got one and a half years remaining on my CrashPlan Home subscription, so I'm kind of disappointed but also pleased that they're honouring the full length of my subscription. When it runs out, I'll probably just stick to the local hard drives and iCloud for really important stuff.

On a sidenote, I'm really surprised at the number of people on here that use CrashPlan. Seems an odd decision on Code42's part.

heathen291

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
I've been with CrashPlan for over 4.5 years, and have been happy with them until yesterday morning when I read their notice. They have screwed me over royally. For those with over 5 TB of backups, you lose EVERYTHING if you migrate to their new Small Business option, and they basically told me over the phone... We don't care...that's just the way it is. So basically, I'm currently wasting my time continuing my backup with them, I loose everything moving to any other company, and I loose everything if I stay.

As a backup company, you NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER put your customer in a position to lose data....Period. One can argue about moving to another company, but even in those cases, they should do whatever necessary to help ensure no loss of data....on the other hand, opting to stay and STILL lose data.....? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

If any lawyer would like to start a class action suit and file an injunction to stop this until data can be preserved, then by all means contact me...I'm in!

I have been a champion of theirs for several users over the years. In one fell swoop, they have destroyed all goodwill from me.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I've been with CrashPlan for over 4.5 years, and have been happy with them until yesterday morning when I read their notice. They have screwed me over royally. For those with over 5 TB of backups, you lose EVERYTHING if you migrate to their new Small Business option, and they basically told me over the phone... We don't care...that's just the way it is. So basically, I'm currently wasting my time continuing my backup with them, I loose everything moving to any other company, and I loose everything if I stay.

As a backup company, you NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER put your customer in a position to lose data....Period. One can argue about moving to another company, but even in those cases, they should do whatever necessary to help ensure no loss of data....on the other hand, opting to stay and STILL lose data.....? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

If any lawyer would like to start a class action suit and file an injunction to stop this until data can be preserved, then by all means contact me...I'm in!

I have been a champion of theirs for several users over the years. In one fell swoop, they have destroyed all goodwill from me.

I doubt you have grounds for any kind of lawsuit, given that they are honoring your existing contract (not to mention giving everyone a free 2-month extension to their contract.)

That said, one possible solution that some on Reddit have been kicking around is temporarily reducing the size of their CrashPlan backup (focusing on less important files or files already backed up elsewhere) to temporarily get below 5TB, performing the conversion, then adding back the removed files.

If that doesn't work for you because you have too much data, instead of acting aggrieved, consider that it's folks like you who have ruined it for everyone else. They surely have lost a lot of money on you over the years, culminating in them deciding their best move was to exit the Home market entirely.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I doubt you have grounds for any kind of lawsuit, given that they are honoring your existing contract (not to mention giving everyone a free 2-month extension to their contract.)

That said, one possible solution that some on Reddit have been kicking around is temporarily reducing the size of their CrashPlan backup (focusing on less important files or files already backed up elsewhere) to temporarily get below 5TB, performing the conversion, then adding back the removed files.

If that doesn't work for you because you have too much data, instead of acting aggrieved, consider that it's folks like you who have ruined it for everyone else. They surely have lost a lot of money on you over the years, culminating in them deciding their best move was to exit the Home market entirely.

This sounds like a decent compromise for some with over 5TB.

However, I'm not sure this is anyone's fault but Crashplan's. They advertised Unlimited storage. If that wasn't cost effective for them, then honestly they should have changed their polices.

In the end they probably should have just come out and say they can't sustain their business at the $5/mo level.

TopherMopher

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2017
OK, so anyone have recommendations for a replacement? Given they just dropped service on me I'm not going to give my business to their other offerings. I don't know anything about carbonite, are they a good service? I'd like a solution where I alone control the encryption key, preferably has support for Linux or even dedicated apps for NAS devices, version control, and preferably unlimited space. Anyone have ideas?

Having used multiple backup services including the ones listed best experience by far has been with Backblaze. Native Mac app and very fast upload and download speeds. Not sure if they support NAS though. I uploaded 20TB in less than a month. Only going to be limited by your own upload speed.

heathen291

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017

That's pretty low and petty of you to blame "users like me" for actually using a product as it was sold to me in it's fullest. It's not like I found a "loophole" or found a bug in their software that I am "taking advantage of". In this case, UNLIMITED means UNLIMITED...NO LIMITS, NO CONSTRAINTS. Blame their business decision makers on this, not those that actually use a product as advertised. At any rate, you're missing the point...they are a BACKUP company....as in DATA PRESERVATION...if you opt to stay with them (due to plan changes, upgrades, etc...), a customer should NEVER loose data....They have failed in their only purpose on life, and not only advertising that they are going to fail the customer, they will bold face tell you to your face that they don't care.

THAT attitude alone should make any potential customer (person, family, or business) think twice before using them as a backup service.

Reactions: navaira

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I always found the backup to be forever slow and therefore could never really backup an unlimited amount of files. My internet connection is fine 200+! They just charged my credit card for a year subscription just a few days before this announcement... that's BS! I'm reporting it as a fraudulent charge!!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I did too, The 2 free months and the 12 month discount was too appealing. Covered to mid 19 for a fair and equitable price. Sucks I will have to redo the backups then, but nothing lasts forever.

I've got 12 months as I paid monthly ... if I need to I'll just stump up the $10 p/m for my 5 machines. If you have to pay more for the service that suits, then that's what you have to do....

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
This sucks. I have the family plan so now i have to figure out an alternative. Only one of the computers has a bunch of data (home movies and photos) so maybe I can use backblaze for it and find a cheaper solution for my wife's computer. My tv computer and laptop will have to just go without back ups.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
This sounds like a decent compromise for some with over 5TB.

However, I'm not sure this is anyone's fault but Crashplan's. They advertised Unlimited storage. If that wasn't cost effective for them, then honestly they should have changed their polices.

In the end they probably should have just come out and say they can't sustain their business at the $5/mo level.

Well, they have changed their policies, haven't they? Anyone can sign up for a small business account that is effectively double the cost of their (apparently unsustainable) home plans. We can certainly quibble as to how they chose to communicate this, but effectively they've done exactly what you suggest.

That's pretty low and petty of you to blame "users like me" for actually using a product as it was sold to me in it's fullest. It's not like I found a "loophole" or found a bug in their software that I am "taking advantage of". In this case, UNLIMITED means UNLIMITED...NO LIMITS, NO CONSTRAINTS. Blame their business decision makers on this, not those that actually use a product as advertised. At any rate, you're missing the point...they are a BACKUP company....as in DATA PRESERVATION...if you opt to stay with them (due to plan changes, upgrades, etc...), a customer should NEVER loose data....They have failed in their only purpose on life, and not only advertising that they are going to fail the customer, they will bold face tell you to your face that they don't care.

THAT attitude alone should make any potential customer (person, family, or business) think twice before using them as a backup service.

I wasn't trying to be insulting; apologies if it came across that way. The business reality when providing an 'all-you-can-eat' plan is that there are inevitably going to be some very heavy users and some light users. The company hopes that on average, they can make money when all the costs are averaged out. Apparently, the math was no longer working in Code 42's favor.

In this case, I suspect that the average amount of data being uploaded was increasing faster than the cost of storing that data was decreasing. That is not sustainable. When you consider that the most common subscribers are probably laptop users with 100 Gigs (if that) of data, it's going to be difficult to make money if you have more than a handful of users with 50 or 100 times as much data.

As for the 5TB cap in migrating to the small business plan, I can understand your concerns and the issue it causes you. However, you should keep in mind that even at 5TB, the company is almost certainly losing money, even at the higher price of $10/month. They probably expect to lose many customers with >5TB of data, and that's just fine with them.

Fortunately, they are giving a reasonable amount of notice (remaining contract term + 2 months) to make alternative arrangements, and people who choose to migrate to the small business plans are reporting a very smooth process.

It could be much, much worse - a few years ago, an enterprise cloud storage company hosting many, many Petabytes of storage ran out of money and shut down. They provided their customers (medium to large enterprises who don't even buy toilet paper for their bathrooms without a multi-month competitive bid process) with just five days' notice before they stopped accepting newly replicated data. Customers then had less than a month to find an alternate host and offload any data that they didn't want to lose forever.

That was a cluster**** of epic proportions. In contrast, the Code 42 / CrashPlan migration plan is very customer friendly.

Reactions: mw360 and bwintx

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Well, they have changed their policies, haven't they? Anyone can sign up for a small business account that is effectively double the cost of their (apparently unsustainable) home plans. We can certainly quibble as to how they chose to communicate this, but effectively they've done exactly what you suggest.

Yes they have. And for me at least, I've chosen to stay and utilize their offerings - for now. I may look into Arq + B2 as that would save a little bit of money. Just not sure I'm back to trusting Arq quite yet. But for me, even at $120/year, I don't find that outrageous. Now for those that were backing up multiple family computers, I do feel bad as they have essentially been priced out.

Reactions: Ener Ji

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Having used multiple backup services including the ones listed best experience by far has been with Backblaze. Native Mac app and very fast upload and download speeds. Not sure if they support NAS though. I uploaded 20TB in less than a month. Only going to be limited by your own upload speed.

I've seen a few talk about ARQ with Backblaze purely as cloud storage, are you doing that or using the Backblaze client? Seems neither is available for Linux natively but either would allow me to mount linux (and linux based NAS) drives remotely and backup.

Reactions: drewyboy

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
As a longtime CrashPlan user going back to 2009 it was a great option for the family. I think we've probably got 4TB out there now among all our computers. The service was reliable and worked well as a hands off solution. Sad to see them go.

Since we have Office 365 and 1TBx5 OneDrive accounts I think it will be ARQ + that for the 2 laptops and Crashplan SB for the iMac as it has 3TB @ Crashplan. Onedrive is effectively free with Office and with a TB we should be set there. The $2.50/mo for a year of Crashplan Small Business seems to be a decent value and will hold for another year.

I'd consider Backblaze but their lack of a client level restore is a joke. Your options for restore are a website where you can download a ZIP file of files or pay them ~$100-200 for a USB thumbdrive or hard drive of your data. Really? Are you kidding me? I've actually had to restore from an external drive crash and with Crashplan it was as easy as selecting the folders and having it restore in the client. Took a while to get down but was free and worked great.

Carbonite seems to be problematic on the Mac so that's out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ener Ji

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have been with crash plan for 5 years or so, what sold me on them was the option to have a hard drive shipped to me if I lost everything at my end. So that's what I am looking for now, at first glance it seems that only drive offers that option

Ruppenthal

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Has anyone had experience with iDrive? They have a deal for $6.95 for 2TB of storage for a year to anyone who migrates over from another service. I signed up with them yesterday and think the client is nicely done. It's cross-platform as well. $6.95 for 1 year, unlimited devices, 2TB storage. Not too bad methinks. Any thoughts?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I haven't played with it much, but it seems to be versioning for me, albeit only for 30 days. It says I have 89 versions of this file, for example:
View attachment 713968

Good to know, thanks!
[doublepost=1503518982][/doublepost]

I think some are concerned they have a single data center. I know the chances are very small, but still...

Reactions: DotCom2 and Ener Ji

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
For content creators, Carbon Copy Cloner and a pack of very reliable enterprise-class HDD in this will do the trick. But I'd rather buy larger SSDs and backup to those. My last HGST 4TB Ultrastar died after 8 months, but that's probably because it was a refurbished replacement for the previous HDD failure. But that's okay, because my warranty was still valid. So HGST (Western Digital) sent me another GD refurbished 4TB Ultrastar.

My genuine Hitachi HDDs are still rockin' after 4 years.

No more spinners for me. SSD or bust. YMMV.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
For content creators, Carbon Copy Cloner and a pack of very reliable enterprise-class HDD in this will do the trick. But I'd rather buy larger SSDs and backup to those. My last HGST 4TB Ultrastar died after 8 months, but that's probably because it was a refurbished replacement for the previous HDD failure. But that's okay, because my warranty was still valid. So HGST (Western Digital) sent me another GD refurbished 4TB Ultrastar.

My genuine Hitachi HDDs are still rockin' after 4 years.

No more spinners for me. SSD or bust. YMMV.
I think there is always room for offsite backup

Reactions: bwintx and JamesPDX

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Another CrashPlan orphan here, trial running Arq + Backblaze B2.

I'm seeing under 1 MB/sec transfer rates though-- are we overloading B2 today?

I tested B2 as part of Arq’s beta - I suspect there’s a lot more data being backed up in the last few days.

I could max my upload (20Mbps) from the UK.

My main backup is to Amazon S3. It’s about 0.5c per GB with the glacier retention option.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
OK, so anyone have recommendations for a replacement? Given they just dropped service on me I'm not going to give my business to their other offerings. I don't know anything about carbonite, are they a good service? I'd like a solution where I alone control the encryption key, preferably has support for Linux or even dedicated apps for NAS devices, version control, and preferably unlimited space. Anyone have ideas?

I use Backblaze and really like it. Not sure if it will fulfill all your needs listed above but worth a look. I'm only on the personal backup plan and it is unlimited + it backs up any attached (via cable) external drives as well. I did set the encryption key myself and believe they have a NAS solution as well.

allan

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2004
So I migrated to Crashplan's Small Business plan earlier today. The process was quick and easy. Tonight, I launched the new app that was installed on my Mac. I clicked on the "Backup" tab and it says, "Unable to backup - subscription expired". I look under the "Restore" tab and there's nothing there, it also says, "expired".

So I go into "Settings" --> "Account" and click on "Manage account". It opens up a Safari window for my Account Dashboard. There's a blurb that says, "Registration Incomplete. You have not finished setting up your account. Complete the registration process to begin your free trial."

Anyone else seeing this? Did you have to register for the free trial to get things going again? I'd ask someone at Crashplan but their chat support hours are over now.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Looking for some alternative solutions; so far duplicati.com & boxcryptor.com look promising.
I used to use Boxcryptor, but they version limited their software that allowed you to keep local keys & now they require you to store them on their server. Hardly secure, but it does allow them to comply with government information collection requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.