MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade continues its strategy to bring classical and popular games to the game platform, with the latest addition soon to be the classic endless runner "Jetpack Joyride."

apple-arcade-jetpack-joyride.jpeg

Jetpack Joyride was initially launched in 2011 and is developed by game developer Halfbrick. The game has grown in popularity and consists of Barry's main character embarking on a journey with a jetpack and entrusting the user to control them as they move and avoid obstacles. When it launches on Apple Arcade, the game will be rebranded with the addition of a "+" to its name, leaving it to be "Jetpack Joyride +."

Other hit classic games such as "Fruit Ninja" and "Cut the Rope" launched on Apple Arcade earlier this year. Apple Arcade users can subscribe to notifications within the App Store for when the game becomes available.

Article Link: Popular Classic Endless Runner 'Jetpack Joyride' Coming to Apple Arcade

LondonChris

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
I get that it takes time and effort to develop high quality games. I really do.

But at this stage, all I'm really getting for my contribution to Apple Arcade via Apple One is access to games that I bought when they initially came out, seven or eight years ago.

If this is still the case towards the end of the year, may reconsider where my money's going to go in future...

Reactions: diggy33 and Huck
Comment

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I don't get the complaints. It's great to be able to play through the old catalogue of games now and then. I watch several old shows and movies on netflix too. What's so different about games?

So, I don't mind them getting old games - but there are hundreds of absolute classics from 10 years back that would be awesome in the library. Tilt to Live, labyrinth games, gears, 1-bit ninja, steamworld heists, swordigo, this penguins platforming game which I can't remember the name off... Would definitely be great to have them upgraded for the modern devices and be able to play them.

Comment

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
Lol apple arcade really lighting it up with those top-notch games. I mean who wouldn't want to rush out and subscribe? /s

• Haha
Reactions: Huck
Comment

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
I don't get the complaints. It's great to be able to play through the old catalogue of games now and then. I watch several old shows and movies on netflix too. What's so different about games?

So, I don't mind them getting old games - but there are hundreds of absolute classics from 10 years back that would be awesome in the library. Tilt to Live, labyrinth games, gears, 1-bit ninja, steamworld heists, swordigo, this penguins platforming game which I can't remember the name off... Would definitely be great to have them upgraded for the modern devices and be able to play them.
I think the issue isn't the classic games, it's the fact that the games they are bringing are far from "classics" and most that people already paid for and do not see the need for a subscription for said game.

Reactions: Naraxus and Huck
Comment

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
I also played Jetpack Joyride a ton when it came out. Not that long ago I was scrolling around my ridiculous disorganized Home Screen, came across this game, and launched it. In the years since I’d played it last, it’d just gotten so crammed full of interstitial ads that I gave up after a few runs. I think it’s great for Apple Arcade to include ad-free versions of older classic titles, now that the existing versions have all been updated to barrage you with video ads.

Comment

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Gameclub have been reviving old classics for years on iOS. Looks like Apple just copied them.

the difference is, if you already owned the game back in the day, gameclub make the updated version available to you for free. I’m loving being able to play Pix’n’Love Rush again. Shame Apple aren’t doing this.

Reactions: Premium1 and Huck
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.