Popular Mac Writing App 'Scrivener' Could Finally Be Coming Soon to iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a recent blog post, developer Keith Blount gave an update on the long-awaited iOS version of popular writing app Scrivener. Blount touched on the lengthy road to development the app has had over the years, mentioning that he took over its development and "rewrote it from the ground up" last year.

A screenshot of Scrivener for Mac

I know we've been quiet about the iOS version recently, and some users have been wondering if it's still in development. After all the problems we've had with it, I took over development myself last year and rewrote it from the ground up. I had originally planned not to develop it myself so that I didn't have to divide my time between the Mac and iOS versions, but in the event, coding our iOS version turned out to be a lot of fun, especially with the introduction of the iPad Pro. Adapting Scrivener for iOS felt like going back to the beginning and remembering why I built Scrivener in the first place.
Blount mentioned that the alpha test is "going well" for the iOS app, and that he's particularly excited for the potential of the writing-centric experience on Apple's new large-screened iPad Pro. The developer believes the beta isn't too far away and that when it happens news and updates on Scrivener for iOS will start at a faster rate.

For anyone unfamiliar with Scrivener's long-gestating iOS app, it was first announced by the team back in 2011, with an early-estimate launch goal of "some time in 2012." When that date slipped, Blount kept fans updated on the troubled development of the app, with the team running into a few coding issues and unexpected health concerns of one of the developer's immediate family.

Continued delayed updates finally spurred Blount into handling the iOS app on his own, leading to today's encouraging news for fans who have been patiently waiting for a mobile version of Scrivener. Speaking directly to Scrivener users, in the most current blog post Blount thanked those who have been patient throughout the intervening years: "Thank you for your patience, your support, and your enthusiasm while Scrivener for iOS has been undergoing its long gestation."

Scrivener is currently available on the Mac App Store for $44.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Mac Writing App 'Scrivener' Could Finally Be Coming Soon to iOS

Reactions: rshrugged

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am not familiar with this app. Can someone elucidate the benefits of this app especially as compared to MS-Word, Pages, and Google Docs?

Thanks

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
I played around with a Scrivener demo, but landed on Ulysses for OS X. Really beautiful interface, and has a lot of features that stay out of your way until you need them.

Reactions: hellosil

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
It has been painful watching this develop.

It is a great writing app that I want to use more in so many ways but I feel like they had forgotten us on IOS. The other users are always like "why would you want to do that?"

Uggh.

I had almost given up hope on this app until this post. Excited to see what comes of it....I would guess an early 2017 release date.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
I played around with a Scrivener demo, but landed on Ulysses for OS X. Really beautiful interface, and has a lot of features that stay out of your way until you need them.
Not sure of the point of your comment, but I will make an equally pointless reply.

Ulysses lacks too many features for me and after scrivener I felt restricted by the lack of customisation. The sidebar and "sheets" annoyed me, compared to scriveners binder with folders and documents. Scrivener felt much more carefully constructed.

Reactions: Digital Skunk

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Scrivener for Mac offers a 30-day trial. It's definitely a superior tool for students. It makes it very easy to partition a project and conduct/gather research for your papers. Friends do not let friends use Word (or Pages or Google Docs) to write research papers. The tool has a fierce following on the L&L website.

My only fear with iOS Scrivener is that it will not have all functionality of the Mac/PC version, and one will not be able to do projects exclusively on an iPad Pro (or smaller iPad). But using iOS Scrivener as a satellite for doing research and writing segments of the paper should be awesome.

Aragrist

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Southern California
I am not familiar with this app. Can someone elucidate the benefits of this app especially as compared to MS-Word, Pages, and Google Docs?

Thanks
It's a complete writing app with the ability to package all your notes references and even audio and video you may need to write a book or paper and anything. It's actually very useful and if the ios version links to your desktop via icloud it was be wondrous.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
It's a complete writing app with the ability to package all your notes references and even audio and video you may need to write a book or paper and anything. It's actually very useful and if the ios version links to your desktop via icloud it was be wondrous.
Developer said he won't use iCloud as iCloud is slower than Dropbox when it comes to syncing and can't handle scrivener file packages.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The benefit is that you're doing both your research/notes in the same space where you're writing the actual paper. There's numerous ways you can set it up so it works for you, and you have the ability to set presets so that when you're doing certain things like a research paper, letter, or whatever, you can have it so that the interface looks in the certain way that works for that workflow.

If all you're doing with MS Office is word processing, and rarely use anything but Word, $45 is not a bad deal. It often goes on sale too, I got mine in a MacHeist bundle years ago.

I like Ulysses too, but it's so much better writing papers in WYSIWYG, especially when you have to put cover pages, citations, and have specific layout stuff that you have to follow.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
If you just need to whip up a quick paper or create a resumé, then Word, Pages or Docs works fine. But apps like Scrivener are specialty tools dedicated to more in depth writing, such as writing a short story or novel. Scrivener also has some nice hooks to work with the yearly Nanowrimo contest each November.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Loved Scrivener on Mac but waiting on the iOS app was torture. I found other alternatives and just gave up. This sounds like more of the same "It's coming! Be patient!" news from them. I'll be officially excited when I can buy it on iOS (assuming it's a good port of course) :/

/grumpy

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Been waiting for this for around 4 years. Not sure how to feel about another "update" that says "coming soon."

I won't believe it until it's on the App Store available for download lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.