Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Newton, a popular email service for iOS and Mac, is shutting down on September 25, the company's founder Rohit Nadhani announced today.

Newton is a subscription-based app that costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year, a business model that did not end up being successful. Nadhani says that the company explored "various business models" but wasn't able to "successfully figure out profitability & growth over the long term."

newtonmail.jpg

According to Nadhani, the market for premium consumer mail apps is "not big enough" and faces competition from high-quality free apps from Google, Microsoft, and Apple. "We put up a hard and honest fight," wrote Nadhani. "But it was not enough to overcome the bundling and platform default advantages enjoyed by the large tech companies."

Starting today, Newton is disabling new sign-ups and will not be renewing monthly subscriptions. Customers who paid for an annual subscription will also be refunded on a pro-rata basis, with Newton to offer instructions on claiming a refund no later than September 18.

CloudMagic, Newton's parent company, will continue to operate and will be focusing on "new and innovative products."

Article Link: Popular Newton Email App for iOS and Mac Shutting Down in September

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I think $100 is a fair price to charge for a year of this but they're going up against far cheaper prices from larger companies. What a shame really.

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
"Popular"? Apparently not popular enough. I've seen the app but never been interested enough to pay the subscription fee as it didn't seem to add enough value for any bit of money over free competitors like Airmail or Spark or Apple Mail. I suspect, to be successful, one will have to radically rethink how you handle mail.

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
I loved the app until they went on subscription and then I dropped it.
It was nice but not THAT NICE to be worth the price.

I do get there is a need to have profits so I am not commenting. But I cannot afford 100 USD/year on an email client.

I was thinking it would be a neat experiment for them to sell the app for one up-front fee outright and see what kind of traction they get. Software subscriptions are a huge turn off to a lot of people. I bet they could get a lot more revenue (maybe) if they just sold each major revision of the app for a few bucks.

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Good riddance. I was an early user of their platform, back when it was called CloudMagic. It was a good concept, but the developer never expanded beyond the initial integrations. The nail in the coffin was an overnight change to a subscription-only based solution at $50 / yr. Even if the app had been worth the annual price (it was not), the way the developer went about it proved how inept they were at business. It was a “immediately pay $50 or lose all access to our app.” That made it simple for me. Delete!

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
100$ each year for a mail client is insane. Why do some developers lose any common sense when they start pricing their products?
Depends on how much and how you are using the client. I know people who wouldn’t bat at eye paying 1000$ a year for an email client if it offered something compelling.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Newton, an apparently not that popular email service

fixed this
[doublepost=1533671336][/doublepost]
Depends on how much and how you are using the client. I know people who wouldn’t bat at eye paying 1000$ a year for an email client if it offered something compelling.
Sure, but as the price goes up you get fewer and fewer people who will pay it. And as the price goes down, you potentially have more and more people who might pay it. They apparently failed to find the sweet spot for pricing -- $100/year clearly wasn't it.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It was a great app when it was free. It was best of all of them.

I would have paid $10 one time. Once.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Email clients not profitable? That's crazy... I wonder if... nah, I'm going to go ahead and start my DVD rental store...
I have heard of a tech called VCR but haven’t checked into it. There will be VHS rental stores I have heard. That may or may not put a damper on your DVD rental business

Reactions: billybobfred

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I have heard of a tech called VCR but haven’t checked into it. There will be VHS rental stores I have heard. That may or may not put a damper on your DVD rental business
Oh, i have the killer idea of a LaserDisc movie sale, with brick and mortar outlets in each city and town! That will destroy both of you! Cannot fail!

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
This announcement shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone....but sadly it does. Especially the COMPANY itself (who would think people wouldn't buy our product for $100+ / yr subscription?!?!?!)

rbailerum1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Good riddance. I was an early user of their platform, back when it was called CloudMagic. It was a good concept, but the developer never expanded beyond the initial integrations. The nail in the coffin was an overnight change to a subscription-only based solution at $50 / yr. Even if the app had been worth the annual price (it was not), the way the developer went about it proved how inept they were at business. It was a “immediately pay $50 or lose all access to our app.” That made it simple for me. Delete!
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. I’m still pissed about this (well, not really, but the memory of it is still there!). Had the developer simply given us a heads up, or offered it’s loyal customers a discount, or done something to show that going from free to $100 a year was a giant step for customers, I would have stayed and I would’ve paid the money. But because they just did it overnight without warning, it was just really really bad business. I left despite loving the app.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I loved this app before they started charging for its best features, then I switched to Spark, which is actually better, and free.

Last edited:
Reactions: MHenyk

Crow KC

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2017
Orem, Utah
100$ each year for a mail client is insane. Why do some developers lose any common sense when they start pricing their products?

Developers usually don't set the price - corporate executives, marketing folks, and salespeople (you know, all the real brains of organizations) work that out. It's a shame that the developers of this app now have to find something new to work on due to failures on the parts of those people. If I worked for CloudMagic, I'd throw in the towel and find a new job rather than continuing to work on "new and innovative" products to be mismanaged by the same people. As the old adage goes - fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me...

Reactions: S G

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I really like the ability to know when a email has been read by the recipient. Anyone else offer that?

I was a subscriber at $39 a year. Really liked the app.

Same, I’m surprised and a bit gutted to be honest! I love the read receipts and haven’t found anything as good for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.