Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonsi

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So now the forums have been updated, as soon as I hover over a Thread title a popup with some text from the thread appears - which blocks the link to the post????

Its become a frustrating race to click on the Thread link before it is blocked by its own popup - can you fix this ASAP please?

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I see the popup text, as well, but it is above the link to the thread. I was going to attach a screen shot, but there's NO paperclip icon to allow attaching an image.

That's a massive oversight. Grrrrr.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So now the forums have been updated, as soon as I hover over a Thread title a popup with some text from the thread appears - which blocks the link to the post????

Its become a frustrating race to click on the Thread link before it is blocked by its own popup - can you fix this ASAP please?

The pop up appears above the link for me. Can you share a screenshot?

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 11.18.00 PM.png

I see the popup text, as well, but it is above the link to the thread. I was going to attach a screen shot, but there's NO paperclip icon to allow attaching an image.

That's a massive oversight. Grrrrr.

There's an Upload a File button.

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 11.18.59 PM.png

arn

Reactions: grahamperrin

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The pop up appears above the link for me. Can you share a screenshot?

View attachment 557322

There's an Upload a File button.

View attachment 557323

arn

Amazing. The button was so big and obvious that I missed it. One more PEBCAK. (That's two today.)

I was looking at the icon options at the top of the edit window. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 8.12.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 8.12.11 PM.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 139

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Amazing. The button was so big and obvious that I missed it. One more PEBCAK. (That's two today.)

I was looking at the icon options at the top of the edit window. Thanks!

On desktop, you can also drag a file on the reply window.

arn

Reactions: AZhappyjack

simonsi

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Here you go, sorry about the quality, couldn't work out how to do a screenshot that didn't interrupt the hover. It seems like it might be scroll-position-dependant...

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 178

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Here you go, sorry about the quality, couldn't work out how to do a screenshot that didn't interrupt the hover. It seems like it might be scroll-position-dependant...

thanks. this is a 13" MBP? What browser/version?

thanks
arn

simonsi

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Yes, you will find if you move the scroll slightly you will increase/decrease the overlap. its like the popup only appears at certain vertical positions on the screen, if the screen is scrolled then the popup can overlap on all thread links, move it slightly and all become partially clear, move it again and all become clear....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yep 13" MBP (non-retina), with Safari 8.0.6...

Sorry I never followed up on this. I was never able to reproduce this and hadn't heard anyone else with the same problem. does this happen with any other browser? Do you have any extensions you on safari?

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
@simonsi are you running ZoomBySite as well?

@Ulenspiegel what do you use ZoomBySite for? Can you describe your use case for it.

Yes, of course. The sites in Safari don't fill the screen fully. If you zoom in, the browser won't remember the set/wanted size. ZoomBysite lets you determine the wanted size (how it fills the screen) and remembers it for any site you visit. So, you don't have to deal with the setting of each site every time you visit it. (Websites' sizes differ as we know).
(http://www.cerimorgan.com/products/zoombysite/).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yes, of course. The sites in Safari don't fill the screen fully. If you zoom in, the browser won't remember the set/wanted size. ZoomBysite lets you determine the wanted size (how it fills the screen) and remembers it for any site you visit. So, you don't have to deal with the setting of each site every time you visit it. (Websites' sizes differ as we know).
(http://www.cerimorgan.com/products/zoombysite/).

What's strange is if I zoom in safari manually, the pop-ups work. I'll email the developer and point them to this thread.

arn

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
What's strange is if I zoom in safari manually, the pop-ups work. I'll email the developer and point them to this thread.

arn

As you wish, arn.
I simply wanted to reflect to your question whether others had similar experience or not. Otherwise the site works flawlessly with ZoomBysite, not like the previous version. It is frustrating, but I can live with it. Which is more important to me is that I can browse the Forums w/o setting the desired size for each page every time I visit it.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… I was never able to reproduce this and hadn't heard anyone else with the same problem. …

I found a similar symptom, probably during the open test phase but I didn't bother to report it (sorry) because as far as I recall, it seemed transient and/or not easily reproducible. At one point I gained an impression that the foot of the speech bubble was not drawing, or that its drawing was not timely … something like that. If I can find a screen shot form that time I might add it … screen shot not found, sorry; I probably trashed it without backing up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.