Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Porsche has announced that its new 2017 Panamera luxury sedan will be equipped with a 12.3-inch touchscreen that supports CarPlay. The next-generation Porsche Communication Management system also features online navigation, Porsche Connect, and a new voice control system that responds to natural language input.

Porsche-Panamera.jpeg

The all-new 2017 Porsche Panamera will arrive at U.S. dealerships in January 2017, with other markets to follow in early 2017. Pricing for the Panamera 4S starts at $99,900, while the Panamera Turbo starts at $146,900. An additional $1,050 fee applies for delivery, processing, and handling.

Other CarPlay-enabled Porsche models include the 2016 911, 2017 718 Boxster, 2017 Macan, 2017 718 Cayman, and 2017 718 Cayman S.

Article Link: Porsche Debuts 2017 Panamera Sports Car With CarPlay Support

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
It should debut with a set of iGlasses to stop it being so ugly. CarPlay has to be useful though even if waaaaaaaaaaay down my list of priorities for purchasing a car.

Reactions: Aston441

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Panamera sales were down 27% Y/Y last year. Will this refresh save it or are we past peak Panamera?

Given Tesla Model S sales are estimated to be between 1200 and 1500 per week right now (vs 970/week last year), my guess is the Panamera sales are still going down. That or someone else is getting crushed, or the market for $100K cars is expanding by a decent amount.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have said for the last 10+ years that my next car will be a porsche boxster. And yet I still have no car whatsoever. But this panamera -- no way. Also, I have yet to read any review that suggest that having CarPlay adds any value. When I rent cars, I connect my iphone through the in-car bluetooth and find some the implementations to be very confusing (Nissan seemed very odd) and some not so bad. If Apple makes this more seamless then that alone would make it worthwhile to me (if I were to ever by a car of course).

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have said for the last 10+ years that my next car will be a porsche boxster. And yet I still have no car whatsoever.
Almost the same story for me... said I'd get a 911 in retirement, I'm still 20 years from there, but may pick up a Cayman when I give my car to my daughter in two/three years... but only if it has CarPlay.

Not digging the Panamera.

Reactions: sinsin07

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Almost the same story for me... said I'd get a 911 in retirement, I'm still 20 years from there, but may pick up a Cayman when I give my car to my daughter in two/three years... but only if it has CarPlay.

Go for it!!!
Cayman is what I seek also.
Screw the electrics.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
It should debut with a set of iGlasses to stop it being so ugly. CarPlay has to be useful though even if waaaaaaaaaaay down my list of priorities for purchasing a car.
Media system obviously not the most important thing but it turns out to be a big factor in your daily commute experience. I just got a new BMW 228i and their iDrive system has me wanting to (remotely) drive it off a cliff. Kludgy, hierarchical, counterintuitive, dysfunctional mess. Worse than my 8-year-old Audi's MMI, and that was with hacked Bluetooth audio. Glad the Bavarians are adopting CarPlay now but sorry I missed it.

Obviously no one will buy a $100K+ Porsche for CarPlay (you can get a Honda for that) but it's a good system and luxury car makers are realizing it could be a distinguishing factor once the performance and reliability boxes are checked.

Reactions: George Dawes

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Media system obviously not the most important thing but it turns out to be a big factor in your daily commute experience. I just got a new BMW 228i and their iDrive system has me wanting to (remotely) drive it off a cliff. Kludgy, hierarchical, counterintuitive, dysfunctional mess. Worse than my 8-year-old Audi's MMI, and that was with hacked Bluetooth audio. Glad the Bavarians are adopting CarPlay now but sorry I missed it.

Obviously no one will buy a $100K+ Porsche for CarPlay (you can get a Honda for that) but it's a good system and luxury car makers are realizing it could be a distinguishing factor once the performance and reliability boxes are checked.
Agreed I put an aftermarket Carplay head unit in my 328xi, and I don't think I'll ever buy a car again without it. I'm really hoping to buy a tesla in the next 3 years, I really hope they get CarPlay.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
These are preordering quite well:
https://www.eliomotors.com/

Doesn't come with CarPlay, <sarcasm>so that's a none starter for me</sarcasm>.

Holy crap. I love that. If I wanted to build a car, that's the car I would build. It does exactly what I want for as cheap as possible. It's hideous, but with a price that low, who cares?

If it were available now, I'd consider replacing my Buick with it. But it won't be available until next year. So I'll be replacing my Buick with the Model 3 instead.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Loads of these in the UAE. Now add turn by turn navigation in the UAE for Maps and Carplay may actually be useful here!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Panamera sales were down 27% Y/Y last year. Will this refresh save it or are we past peak Panamera?
Panamera has been and always will be niche in Porsche's stable. Considering Porsche itself is niche in the car industry, the Panamera never really had a "peak". People, specifically and especially Americans, are buying CUV/SUV's and trucks. As long as gas remains depressed that won't change. Cayennes and Macans are more important to Porsche.

I have said for the last 10+ years that my next car will be a porsche boxster. And yet I still have no car whatsoever. But this panamera -- no way. Also, I have yet to read any review that suggest that having CarPlay adds any value. When I rent cars, I connect my iphone through the in-car bluetooth and find some the implementations to be very confusing (Nissan seemed very odd) and some not so bad. If Apple makes this more seamless then that alone would make it worthwhile to me (if I were to ever by a car of course).

The Cayman/Boxster is the best value for performance you can get in a Porsche. Especially if you get pre-owned. Personally, I'd never buy new 'cause the idea of eating the first 3 years of depreciation makes me physically ill.

Agreed on CP/AA. It's just a way for automakers to get you to tick that add-on box, imo of course.

There's some great deals on pre-owned Caymans. Low mileage models can be found for high $20's. Decent 911's can be found for mid $40's. Account for maintenance and up keep and you should be smiling.

Last edited:

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Porsche, there is no substitute.. They ain't kidding!
No matter how rotten my day has become, a quick canyon blast in my 911 Turbo cures all..
If you need 4 doors and a hatch, and you have the means, you will not find a more thrilling ride > 2017 Panamera.

Reactions: Agile55

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Product 1: CarPlay
Product 1(b): Car

Product 2: Apple TV
Product 2(b): Apple Television

All sold concurrently to meet different, but aligned customer and company needs.

Evil Spoonman

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
California
It's too bad that all Porsche does is polish turds.

They do things I'd like other car makers to do. Their GT3 RS models were always so close to pure greatness. Very shiny turds indeed, a chrome finish.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
It looks a lot better that the last-gen Panamera.
Everything looks better than a Panamera. Well, looks are superficial anyway. :)

I have said for the last 10+ years that my next car will be a porsche boxster.
Agree, on handling alone I will prefer the Cayman flavor.

Porsche, there is no substitute.. They ain't kidding!
No matter how rotten my day has become, a quick canyon blast in my 911 Turbo cures all..
Power is cheap thrill, nothing new. But wait, who said car companies were innovating.

Last edited:

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
Panamera has been and always will be niche in Porsche's stable. Considering Porsche itself is niche in the car industry, the Panamera never really had a "peak". People, specifically and especially Americans, are buying CUV/SUV's and trucks. Cayennes and Macans are more important to Porsche. As long as gas remains depressed that won't change.

Gas prices are irrelevant to those that can afford a Porsche. When it goes back up, Cayennes and Macans will still be the most important to Porsche.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Gas prices are irrelevant to those that can afford a Porsche. When it goes back up, Cayennes and Macans will still be the most important to Porsche.
Poorly worded statement by me. The reference to cheap gas prices should have been attached to our penchant for CUV/SUV's, not to the importance of the pepper or the tiger.

Yes, there are fair number of people who aren't affected by fuel prices. But for another pretty fair number, buying a Porsche doesn't necessarily mean you can afford a Porsche. Fuel pricing affects auto purchasing decisions for anyone buying at or above the top of their budget. It's not the be all end all, but it is a consideration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.