Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Porsche has partnered with Apple to integrate Apple Music into its forthcoming Taycan EV, the German car manufacturer revealed on Monday (via TechCrunch).

Porsche-Taycan-Apple-Music.jpg

The announcement means owners of the all-electric sports car will be able to access Apple's music streaming service via the car's touchscreen infotainment display without having to connect a smartphone.

This is the first time Apple Music will be available as a native app in any vehicle. Previously the only way to access the service was by pairing a phone via Apple's proprietary CarPlay dash interface.

Porsche says CarPlay will also be included in the Taycan EV, but customers will get direct access to Apple Music's library of songs, curated playlists, and Beats 1 radio station through the car's built-in cellular connection.

All they'll need to do is link their Apple ID with their Porsche account, after which they'll be able to control Apple Music using the Taycan's voice assistant system.

Porsche says users will also be able to create a custom Apple Music station from any song they hear while listening to broadcast radio. The German car manufacturer also plans to release exclusive playlists that will only be available through Apple Music.

Porsche intends to give new and existing customers free access to Apple Music for six months. TechCrunch reports that it also eventually plans to add the Apple Music app to all of its new vehicles that can support the service.

Apple Music costs $9.99 a month for an individual membership. The streaming service recently surpassed 60 million subscribers, and making it available natively in cars makes sense given Apple's increasing reliance on services as a source of revenue.

The partnership arguably mirrors the deal Apple has with Samsung to integrate iTunes movies and TV shows, as well as AirPlay 2 support, into its latest smart TVs.

The all-electric Porsche Taycan is set to be unveiled in early September, and should be on sale before the end of the year.

Article Link: Porsche Taycan EV to Include Integrated Apple Music App

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Smart move by both companies.

Apple music costs even less when you sign up for a year, working out to $8.25/month. Or using discounted iTunes cards from Costco, $7.83/month, and occasionally $7.08/month. A steal!

Reactions: ssspinball

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Porsche has never interested me even with Apple Play.

This past Sunday I saw a guy parking his Carrara in a secluded spot in a strip mall lot. As he and his wife started their long hike to the coffee shop I parked my Nissan next to it.

Reactions: Aston441

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
How does this work technically? Does the Porsche come with a built in, Porsche managed, no-user-access SIM card? Which carrier? Privacy?

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
Unlikely. Tesla is partnered with Spotify in Europe and it will apply soon to US customers too. It's brilliant, and "free" as included in the cost of the car, so no subscription required.

Because that won’t get the attention of regulators or antitrust at all...

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
How does this work technically? Does the Porsche come with a built in, Porsche managed, no-user-access SIM card? Which carrier? Privacy?

Many vehicles over the past few years come with built-in cellular, and within a few years every vehicle will have this. Actually, there are TWO sim's. (1) vehicle connectivity, updates, monitoring, remote control, etc. and (2) user functions, such as hot-spot.

Reactions: NightFox

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Ahhh... Smart dude, asking the right questions.

What is not said is that there is a required subscription to Porsche's SIM provider -- typically AT&T at onerous rates.
This is also true with Audi under AudiConnect. (Do not know about VW.)

Reactions: travelsheep

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Ahhh... Smart dude, asking the right questions.

What is not said is that there is a required subscription to Porsche's SIM provider -- typically AT&T at onerous rates.
This is also true with Audi under AudiConnect. (Do not know about VW.)
Can't find info on SIM, Privacy, Carrier; however there's this:

Car and Driver: 2020 Porsche Taycan Gets Built-In Apple Music, Three Years of Free Data
What's even more noteworthy is that Taycan buyers will get three years of included data, the better to stream Apple Music, and they'll also get a free six-month subscription to the service (it's three months for existing members).

ARSTechnica: The Porsche Taycan electric car gets Apple Music, 3 years free data

Reactions: travelsheep

Halfsnap

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2019
AZ
Porsche has never interested me even with Apple Play.

This past Sunday I saw a guy parking his Carrara in a secluded spot in a strip mall lot. As he and his wife started their long hike to the coffee shop I parked my Nissan next to it.

This post doesn't make you sound like the cool person you think you are. And it's spelled CARRERA. Carrara is a city in Italy.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
May 29, 2018
Vienna
They’re the only ones with wireless CarPlay tho.

As other's already said: the whole VW Group (meaning Audi, VW, Porsche, etc.) have it already or will get it within 1 year.

Btw. the VW Passat B8 facelift has got built in Apple Music as well, therefore Porsche isn't the first

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Can't find info on SIM, Privacy, Carrier; however there's this:

Car and Driver: 2020 Porsche Taycan Gets Built-In Apple Music, Three Years of Free Data
What's even more noteworthy is that Taycan buyers will get three years of included data, the better to stream Apple Music, and they'll also get a free six-month subscription to the service (it's three months for existing members).

ARSTechnica: The Porsche Taycan electric car gets Apple Music, 3 years free data
Wow! Stand corrected on the SIM subscription.
(This is not true with Audi under AudiConnect, which is my direct experience.)

What is most surprising is that it comes from an automaker that has honed to perfection the skills to option, at extra cost, everything from base price. There is little left that is not optional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.