Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Emailing them to see if I can get a replacement case. First one came in with a sizable chunk missing out of the frame. Replacement appeared fine. After less than 3 months of use there are a number of cracks in the wood. I'm hardly a heavy user nor do I take this case with me on a daily basis or take the ipad out of the case. To me there is no reason this should be occurring on a higher priced case such as Portenzo. I hope they're willing to resolve the problem.

send them an email, but i read in the other thread that they are going incomunicado for 48 hours to concentrate on shipping so keep that in mind. Don't expect to hear from them before Wed.

Plus a guy in the other thread said that protenzo fixed his case for them that he cracked when he fell. so just send them a note they will make it right.

I had no cracks in my ipad case from HEAVY usage. It may be the new wood they are using.

valeeum

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
edit - removed this post because I realized that the case may have been damaged in transit. I will give portenzo the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Sand Man

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2011
just received mine after a 7 week wait. not impressed at all by the quality or the craftsmanship. just requested an RMA.

you be the judge...

View attachment 290593

View attachment 290594

View attachment 290595

I am pretty sure that that case did not leave their building in that condition did it? What did the shipping carton look like?

While there have been quality issues on cases. There is also plenty of people that have had there cases replaced as well as some that came on here complaining about the quality of the product they recieved on for others to find out afterwards that the shipping carton was crushed. They have stated on more than a few occasions that they stand behing their products.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I am pretty sure that that case did not leave their building in that condition did it? What did the shipping carton look like?

While there have been quality issues on cases. There is also plenty of people that have had there cases replaced as well as some that came on here complaining about the quality of the product they recieved on for others to find out afterwards that the shipping carton was crushed. They have stated on more than a few occasions that they stand behing their products.

do you even own a case yet?

Sand Man

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2011
do you even own a case yet?

I am hoping by the end of the month since they are in the 12-13,000 range. Order # 13,255 if memory serves me. I am curious though, why every time I ask a question for the author of the post that youseem to attack me. Maybe I am just being overly sensative, but that is how I feel. I just choose not to complain about the wait and try to get all the details of whether it is really a quality issue or a damaged in shipping issue.
Oh well, you will see my case soon enough. I requested some custom work and they said they would give it a shot. When I see it, you all will see it and get the details.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I am hoping by the end of the month since they are in the 12-13,000 range. Order # 13,255 if memory serves me. I am curious though, why every time I ask a question for the author of the post that youseem to attack me. Maybe I am just being overly sensative, but that is how I feel. I just choose not to complain about the wait and try to get all the details of whether it is really a quality issue or a damaged in shipping issue.
Oh well, you will see my case soon enough. I requested some custom work and they said they would give it a shot. When I see it, you all will see it and get the details.

Relax...you keep defending an indefensible position..yet you own no portenzo case, have not lived with one for a while,yet come running to their defense...I can only assume you are whistling thru the graveyard...and hope you get a "good one"

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
just received mine after a 7 week wait. not impressed at all by the quality or the craftsmanship. just requested an RMA.

you be the judge...

View attachment 290593

View attachment 290594

View attachment 290595

UGH!!! That looks bad. That must be a huge kick to the nuts to wait 2 months and then it is so poorly made. Imagine how bad it would be in a couple of weeks of regular use?

It honestly amazes me they would even ship that. Do they not have any pride?

Ahhh.. With all your posts I assumed you were so dang proud of your case. Are all these bad reviews making you nervous? Especially with custom work?

Sand Man

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2011
J
Relax...you keep defending an indefensible position..yet you own no portenzo case, have not lived with one for a while,yet come running to their defense...I can only assume you are whistling thru the graveyard...and hope you get a "good one"

Glen,
If it seems I am defending them I do not know what else I can do. Pretty much all my comments and questions have been based around what I have read here. I am pretty sure that they replaced your case as well as a few others on here. All I am saying is that I do not understand why people have to try to lead people to thinking that EVERY CASE that they sell is garbage. Every company has some issues, it is whether they tell you to get lost or make it right is the difference. Seems to me that anytime someone has contacted them with a problem from here they have tried to make it right instead of blaming the problem on the customer like Dodo case does on a regular basis.
Yes Portenzo has some issues that are slowly being sorted, but they seem to be trying to correct any issues they are told about. My problem is that people around here think that posting the product is crap is their first choice. How about letting the company try to correct the problem and then if they fail you have an actual gripe. I know we live in a free world, but some of the comments I read are boarder line slander because they never even bother to give the company a chance to rectify the matter.
Okay, I am done until I have my case to review myself, and if there is a problem I can assure you that it will not be my first post. I will give them as I do any company the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to rectify the problem before I start bashing them and saying they make and sell a LOW product.

Sand Man

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2011
UGH!!! That looks bad. That must be a huge kick to the nuts to wait 2 months and then it is so poorly made. Imagine how bad it would be in a couple of weeks of regular use?

It honestly amazes me they would even ship that. Do they not have any pride?

Ahhh.. With all your posts I assumed you were so dang proud of your case. Are all these bad reviews making you nervous? Especially with custom work?

No not nervous cause I see they are makingbthings right when there is a problem. And for the record, you are an a$$ with your comments about pride. Looks like damage in shipping to me.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Okay, I am done until I have my case to review myself, and if there is a problem I can assure you that it will not be my first post. I will give them as I do any company the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to rectify the problem before I start bashing them and saying they make and sell a LOW product.

Ok see you in 4 months :)

No not nervous cause I see they are makingbthings right when there is a problem. And for the record, you are an a$$ with your comments about pride. Looks like damage in shipping to me.

Damage in shipping? So the postoffice guy opened up the box, opened up the case, and ripped up some of the inner lining? LOL.

S cott

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011

you be the judge...

View attachment 290593

View attachment 290594

View attachment 290595

This is not Portenzo Quality! I am not sure how this happened to you. I have sent you an E-mail. We have thrown cases into the trash can because of a small scratch on the interior where the iPad sits (would not be visible with the iPad in) because it did not pass QC. I see that on the side with the interior coming up it looks like there is another dent as well and it looks like whatever hit that ripped the interior. Please respond to my E-mail so that we can get this figured out.

Thanks, Scott

valeeum

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
yes, scott immediately replied to my email and offered to expedite a replacement. A+ for customer service. I do admit the box the case arrived in wasn't in the best shape. So there is a possibility that the issue occurred in transit.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
This is not Portenzo Quality! I am not sure how this happened to you. I have sent you an E-mail. We have thrown cases into the trash can because of a small scratch on the interior where the iPad sits (would not be visible with the iPad in) because it did not pass QC. I see that on the side with the interior coming up it looks like there is another dent as well and it looks like whatever hit that ripped the interior. Please respond to my E-mail so that we can get this figured out.

Thanks, Scott

Scott,

Can you please explain the physics of how the inside of the case got so damaged? It's impossible to blame that on shipping.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Scott,

Can you please explain the physics of how the inside of the case got so damaged? It's impossible to blame that on shipping.

I'm not sure why you would ask such a question on a public forum. It's nice of someone from the company who manufactures the product to come on here in the first place to offer support to their customers.

It's not exactly fair to ask them to justify or explain on a public forum issues which may only affect a small percentage of customers and may or may not be the fault of the manufacturer. You're basically implying they sell bad quality products based just on a few forum posts. You have no idea of the experiences of the rest of their customers.

If you personally have a problem with or bad experience of their products then why not email them directly for an answer.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not sure why you would ask such a question on a public forum. It's nice of someone from the company who manufactures the product to come on here in the first place to offer support to their customers.

It's not exactly fair to ask them to justify or explain on a public forum issues which may only affect a small percentage of customers and may or may not be the fault of the manufacturer. You're basically implying they sell bad quality products based just on a few forum posts. You have no idea of the experiences of the rest of their customers.

If you personally have a problem with or bad experience of their products then why not email them directly for an answer.

I disagree. Portenzo should own up to their poor craftsmanship. It's impossible that the case was scratched on the inside during shipment. I'd rather see a company accept responsibility for things instead of feign ignorance.

Look at STM. They came here and posted "Hey guys, we know there's an issue with the front flap causing the screen to turn off when folded all the way back in early models. Please contact us and we will send you a free patch kit for it to fix it." That's awesome. They didn't try to pass the blame onto someone else. They made a mistake, acknowledged it, and fixed it.

S cott

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Scott,

I am not sure what your agenda is here and I am only interested in helping customers who have had a bad experience to make it right. We stand behind EVERY case that leaves our building.

If you have an order with us (I am not sure if you do) please feel free to send me an E-mail: AwesomePerson@portenzo.com and we will discuss anything that you would like.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I disagree. Portenzo should own up to their poor craftsmanship. It's impossible that the case was scratched on the inside during shipment. I'd rather see a company accept responsibility for things instead of feign ignorance.

Look at STM. They came here and posted "Hey guys, we know there's an issue with the front flap causing the screen to turn off when folded all the way back in early models. Please contact us and we will send you a free patch kit for it to fix it." That's awesome. They didn't try to pass the blame onto someone else. They made a mistake, acknowledged it, and fixed it.

It's your opinion that it's poor craftsmanship and not a fact. Not to mention you're in no position to assess whether it was the fault of the manufacturer or happened in transit. Further more even if it was a manufacturing fault that doesn't mean it's a bad product or such faults are common place in their products. You're just making assumptions based on a few forum posts.

The company has no obligation to come on to a public forum to justify to you or anyone else regards any issues there might be with their product. If anyone has any issues the best thing is to contact the company directly to resolve the issue. If you're not happy with their product based on what you have read in a few forum posts you don't have to buy it.

Sand Man

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2011
It's your opinion that it's poor craftsmanship and not a fact. Not to mention you're in no position to assess whether it was the fault of the manufacturer or happened in transit. Further more even if it was a manufacturing fault that doesn't mean it's a bad product or such faults are common place in their products. You're just making assumptions based on a few forum posts.

The company has no obligation to come on to a public forum to justify to you or anyone else regards any issues there might be with their product. If anyone has any issues the best thing is to contact the company directly to resolve the issue. If you're not happy with their product based on what you have read in a few forum posts you don't have to buy it.

Well put, from now on I will just send my correspondence to you and you can edit it in a professional manner and repost it :) Some people just are not happy unless they are pissing on someone elses parade and trying to bring them down to their level. You seem like a reasonable guy keep up the good word.....

lindend

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Hi LanikaiGirl,

I just received my new Portenzo.

I'm thinking about getting a Portenzo case (maybe the Teju like your pic) but I am concerned about the longevity of the case (especially if it falls on its side where the wood is). Its been a couple years since you got yours. How has it held up? Any issues with the wood?

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Hi LanikaiGirl,

I'm thinking about getting a Portenzo case (maybe the Teju like your pic) but I am concerned about the longevity of the case (especially if it falls on its side where the wood is). Its been a couple years since you got yours. How has it held up? Any issues with the wood?

pretty sure she gave it to her dad or something when she got a new ipad.. search up her posts

j.leson

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2010
Im interested in picking this up, priced out a case with the options I wanted and it ended up being $100! :(

Does this company have sales our coupons I should hold out for? Thanks!

bitteralmond

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Im interested in picking this up, priced out a case with the options I wanted and it ended up being $100! :(

Does this company have sales our coupons I should hold out for? Thanks!

Open a chat with a customer service rep and ask if there are any coupons currently. Often, they'll create one for you on the spot.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Hi LanikaiGirl,

longevity wise, i think the case is fine. if you take the iPad frequently in and out of the case though, what can happen is that you can wear down the rubber grips so the iPad isn't held in as tight as originally and may fall out if you use it at an awkward angle. Also, there's a small crack in my iPad 2 portenzo close to the headphone jack, but otherwise, it provides good protection. my iPad 2 still looks new after a year. but obviously, if you drop it, that's gonna be totally different. but then again, dropping something as big as an iPad really is never a good idea with any case =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.