Portenzo iPad 2 Case: Now a Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jeff_siler, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

2. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Looks like a nice case. Two things I don't like about it are the color of the insert holding the iPad and not being able to position the case in any viewing position one wants. Seems to me if your going to pay 60 bucks for a case it should be more than just a folder. Not hard to do, but it is a major drawback for me.

Again and again, I say the Mophie case is the way to go, 10 husks cheaper and it does everything this one does and more.

4. comixster macrumors member

I'll probably order one as well. Are there any pictures of the new case now?

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

nothing yet, they said shipping between 18th & 21st so I assume we'll get some shots later this week.

I'm torn between ordering one with or without the camera slot in the back. I think having a hole in a moleskin-like case like these would just look odd....I'm holding out to see photos myself

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I ordered one last week. The auto-wake feature will be sweet and exactly what I was hoping for.

I decided to not get the camera hole. I will never use the camera on the back and I'm sure it will allow dust and crap to get behind the iPad and potentially scratch it up.

7. comixster macrumors member

interesting view. I, for one, won't probably use the back camera.

I just hope that they were able to improve the typing positions for the case.

8. glen e macrumors 68030

Damn guys , you are costing me money...just sent them a RFQ for a burgundy leather/lambskin case for my boardroom/courtroom ipad 2

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I know cases like these and the Dodo are popular but I don't really understand the desire to all thickness and weight to the iPad. I mean the reason I bought the iPad2 is b/c it was thinner and lighter. What is the pull here? -- not being facetious, just curious.

10. glen e, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

glen e macrumors 68030

Just shows you we all are diff...i dont care about the lightness and am buying for the faster perf and memory as im a keynote/ safari power user (75 slide presentations)..additional heft of portenza case is no cocern to me....

11. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

It's really not that thick and heavy, from what I've heard. And to be fair, all cases add weight and bulk.

There also really aren't many very thin, very light business professional cases.

I'm a law student heading to a big NYC law firm, so I need something that looks workplace/courtroom acceptable.

Buying one case also doesn't preclude people from buying another, thinner, lighter case for other uses.

12. glen e macrumors 68030

Does this case offer a satisfactory horizontal typing angle when opened and folded back?

13. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

This video shows it is still pretty slim...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSy6DQz8VBE&sns=em

14. aricher, Mar 13, 2011

aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I loved my original Portenzo and think I'll buy the new one as well. I'm curious to see how they're handling the new speaker location, what is this "Audio-Flow" they speak of. I'm also curious to see how their camera hole is "dust-proof." I like the idea of the magnetized cover but think this case needs to have the strap to use it in landscape mode on smooth surfaces. I wonder if they can do a build for me with both magnets and a strap.

15. abooch1, Mar 13, 2011

abooch1 macrumors regular

Question is now with the speaker being on the back, how will portenzo implement it in the case.. Will there be small holes in the back of the case for them? This is what has kept me from ordering until I see pictures..

Edit They just updated the site and it now says engineered sound chamber redirects sound to the front...So i assume no holes in the back.. Wonder how that is going to work, and look..

16. abooch1 macrumors regular

I also wonder if it will be thinner.. should be no?

17. Jerastan macrumors newbie

It's crazy, but I was in line w/ the owner of Portenzo for the iPad 2 launch. He's a super nice guy that is really motivated to make quality products. Good stuff...

18. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Looks good, but there are like 0 positions it can be set in.

19. abooch1 macrumors regular

Oh yea? Thats pretty cool.. Where is he from?

20. Jerastan macrumors newbie

Well I'm not sure where he's actually from but we were in line together in St. Louis.

21. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Just saw the option for the Magna-grip cover. Very intriguing. I had the Dodo case before and never got used to the strap really. Hmmmmm

22. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Only problem with the Magna grip cover is that the strap allows the iPad to stand in horizontal mode on smooth services (place the strap under the back cover so it doesn't slide).

I really wish they'd put some no slip material on the edge of the case.

23. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

wonder if they could do something with magnets on the edge of the case then when it folds back there are different strips of magnets for different positions. Ie typing, viewing, etc.

24. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

See post 49 in http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1032456&page=2

That's what I mean. I wonder if they devised another solution for ones with the magnets. I emailed darin yesterday about some things (not this), but he hasn't responded. When he does, I'll ask him.

25. barrett14 macrumors regular

What leather are you guys ordering? Levant or Morocco? I don't really know the difference.

Also are you guys doing camera hole or no camera hole?

I am thinking I am going to go with no camera hole, and the black color for the inside.