Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I like 5, too. Even though it should be "the Big Yellow idea" now.

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
I prefer #5. Only thing bugging me is the dot of the i invading the g.

Attachments

• the06.jpg
    the06.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 390

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
#3 by far (nice and compact), and then #1 (spread out a bit more, very clear on how to read), the "the" just looks out of place in all the others

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.
Hmm, i was about to say that 5 had won (with the dot) but then someone comes along and shouts out for 3 again.

I need to think of some kind of green symbol to go with it, like an energy saving bulb, wind turbine or something nature related. Once the symbol/illustration is decided on then the choice between 3 and 5 can be made to make sure it's all balanced out.

Thanks for your help people.

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I think it's going to be something along the lines of a charity that helps fund small "green" community projects.

Basically, they will be selling things and all the profits will go into a pot to help people buy solar panels or other energy saving devices.
Anyway, it's very very very very very early in development and is an expansion from the site itsnoteasybeinggreen.org which was also a tv show in the uk.

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
right, I took spicy apples idea and made a bigger "the" and put it in number 3's position.

This is the almost final design.

colour.jpg

I just need a symbol or something. Kinda in a similar vein to treehugger.com's tree logo. hmmms

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just need a symbol or something. Kinda in a similar vein to treehugger.com's tree logo. hmmms
Wait a minute. You laid out the text before coming up with the mark?

What if you somehow abstracted the "g" in Big into a light bulb or something?
Although, this idea has merit and wouldn't mess up what you already did, I would have started with the mark, and then added the text to "fit" it.

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Wait a minute. You laid out the text before coming up with the mark?

Yes, probably not the best way normally but there is a big possibility that different marks could be used depending on its usage so it was better for me to get it so it look balanced on its own without a mark, if that makes sense?

This is what i've got tonight anyway

03.jpg

I've been advised to experiment with other fonts as the logo could be used for a multitude of purposes and i don't know if it will look great at smaller sizes.

The wind turbine image seems to create a lot of empty space so may need repositioning.

err, thanks for all your comments people, they've been very helpful.

nicrose

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006

#3, but the dot of the i inside the g is bothering me. it's distracting. maybe use one of those letter "i"s that don't have a dot over them. Or just erase the dot.

nicrose

nicrose

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
more advice

Also, raise the tower (the vertical part of the wind turbine) so that the base is right next to the word "idea". then draw a diagonal hill for the windmill to stand on. this will balance the logo, because allowing the eye to make a complete circle around the logo when viewing it.
nicrose

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've been advised to experiment with other fonts as the logo could be used for a multitude of purposes and i don't know if it will look great at smaller sizes.

The wind turbine image seems to create a lot of empty space so may need repositioning.

Scale is very important here. The turbine is way too big. Scale it down to, I'd say, nothing bigger than from the top of "the" to the bottom of "idea." Think about the strokes on the letters (combination of thick and thin), and see if you can incorporate that kind of stroke into the image of the turbine.

I'd also play around with the turbine in Illustrator. See if you can get something a little more personal and unique. You said that you liked the treehugger.com logo...use that for inspiration if you want to.

dnordstrom

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2007
Amsterdam
Number three or five because I like the symmetry and lines. In that one, "the" is thoughtfully positioned instead of randomly like in the rest of them.

Just my opinion.

nicrose

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
idea for logo

Also, raise the tower (the vertical part of the wind turbine) so that the base is right next to the word "idea". then draw a diagonal hill for the windmill to stand on. this will balance the logo, because allowing the eye to make a complete circle around the logo when viewing it.
nicrose

This is what I meant in the last comment I made:
m_cb4a0e9b7f557fdc5f8de29c7e120f6a.jpg

Nicrose

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Nice suggestion nicrose but I think im going to need something more "universal" so i have come up with some acorn leaves. They're supposed to mimic the recycling symbol but need a bit of tweaking because i copied them from a small res image quickly with the pen tool.

04.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.