Positive rMBP Feedback?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HighEndMac, Jul 10, 2012.

1. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Is anyone having the time of their lives with the new rMBP? With all this negative feedback I am starting to get cold feet about spending $4K on this Pro. (Still waiting on mine to be shipped…)

Post your positive feedback along with your rMBP specs!

Comming from a late 2008 MBP (Maxed)

2. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Yep. Perfect experience here. Perfect screen. Amazing performance. Couldn't be happier.

3. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I think everyone that enjoys the new purchase they made are too busy having fun with it :) Keeping us sitting here having to look at tons of threads from people who are just sooooooo unhappy lol

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You have to remember that when going to sites like this 9/10 times people are going to complain about a product versus making a thread praising it.

5. AAP8 macrumors newbie

AAP8

I love my rMBP, it's my first Mac and it is awesome

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This.

7. leman macrumors 604

Actually, I've seen more positive than negative feedback on the forums. Of course, most threads will be opened by a minority of disappointed owners. And of course, minor issues like scrolling speed in Facebook (which is reported as being fixed in Mountain Lion btw) are completely blown out of proportion

Anyway, you cal always test it and return it if you don't like it. Its not like your money is wasted in case you change your decision.

8. houkouonchi macrumors regular

I run it at the native resolution (no HiDPI). I have been waiting *years* for a laptop with a screen like this. Best thing since sliced bread IMHO.

9. PaulAtkinson macrumors member

Sure!

I think my rMBP (base model) is close to perfect, until I start reading posts on this forum!

I see the scrolling issue -- but then realize I am not trying to actually read the text that is scrolling past, so I am willing to accept it. Text is absolutely beautiful on the internet, which is what I actually do 90% of the time with my computer: read things.

Boot time is eight seconds. Application launch times are quicker than that.

I process 18MB RAW files in Aperture with minimal page-outs, if any.

I love the keyboard. The new magsafe adapter works perfectly; and I already tripped over the power cord once (it pulled right off).

I love the fact that I have never actualy heard this computer's fan.

Seriously. I feel it is like our new iPad merged with my 2007 MBP 15" and created my perfect computer.

Now, if I could only play a Blu-Ray disk on this thing ...

10. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Product discussion in the internet is mostly complaints in general. That's the nature of satisfaction. Most people only speak out when they have problems.

I actually believe sites like this allow you to see normal positive discussion because of the community aspect... but that doesn't change the fact you still get the negative venting to level it out.

11. flipnap macrumors 6502

just rip blurays and its the same thing.. 1080p on this thing looks amazing.

12. unwinded macrumors regular

I love it too, the display is unreal. I was lucky not to have any ghosting or after image problems and not a single dead pixel (first thing I checked, ran a bunch of solid color tests to be sure although it would be hard to notice if one was there in normal usage).

The lag people complain of, I've spent the past couple years with windows so in comparison I don't notice anything. They're upgrading from Macs mostly. The resolution is a trade off and I think it's fine. The animations are smooth. For whatever reason upgrading from Tiger to Leopard made animations choppy (depending on hardware) but nobody seemed to care about that back then.

On these forums more people report when something isn't working then when it is or when something isn't perfect when they expect it to be. The cost is high for sure, but right now it's special on the market. Even comparing like hardware it's not horrible considering aesthetics and size. I bought a macbook pro a few years ago and instantly regret it because I could sell it for a macbook and a PC laptop with comparable specs. I know people probably feel that way too still. To be quite honest, it exceeded my expectations. I let the box sit around without opening it because I just didn't feel the love. When I turned it on I was floored.

The only negative I have is the small SSD in the base model but that's because SSD is expensive. The trade off is speed. Skyrim's loading jutter is greatly reduced. If I would have known that I would've bought a SSD for my old PC but results seemed to vary.

13. LegendaryHero macrumors newbie

I've pretty much fallen in love with mine. coming from a macbook pro 3,1 this thing is like a dream come true. Video editing with it is pretty solid on the small projects I like to do, gaming is awesome. The only downside is that anything thats not optimized for the display looks awful, but within a few months I don't think it'll be that bad, especially if the rest of the PC industry adopts his resolution displays.

14. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Boot time and startup is incredible. I'm still not used to *not* waiting on a restart.

I process 36MP RAW files in Lightroom with minimal page-outs, if any. :D

Magsafe is killer. It actually works, unlike the old L-shape.

I heard the fan for the first time last night exporting a ~250MP panorama.

Just rip your BR movies to M4Vs... or even just download them. Arguably illegal, but it shouldn't be. Haha.

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Have 2, one at the office, one at home. Love them both and am having no issues.

16. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Why two? Is one work issue?

17. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I thought the point of a laptop was so you could move it between home and work. ;)

18. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Yes, one is work issue, when I travel for work I use this one. I liked it so much I bought one for myself at home.

19. photosaurus macrumors regular

Love mine. No issues. Does everything I bought it to do and then some (minus photoshop retina support for the moment).

20. trsblader macrumors 6502

Wouldn't trade/return mine for anything. Bought it on launch day and love it. Is it perfect? No, but nothing is, look hard enough and you'll find imperfections. Mine doesn't have anything wrong with it that stands out, and certainly nothing stopping me from using it all day just fine.

This is my first machine with an SSD and I am freaking amazed how fast it is. If it weren't so much time and trouble to put one in my mid 2011 iMac I'd be putting one in there now.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I too was in your shoes, seeing all the negative reports while my order just sat there waiting in line. I can say that its an awesome computer, fast, light well made and a gorgeous display.

22. zerotiu macrumors regular

this thread is like a faith charger :D
    can't wait for my retina..delivered from 19th july- 1st aug

23. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Here's my assessment. I give this machine a 10 out of 10, and that's taking into account the fact that my screen has a defect and I need to wait for the replacement screen to come in since my return period has elapsed and the issue only just showed up. I'll have to leave my computer with Apple for 3-5 days while they fix it.

The machine is that good that even with that terrible inconvenience I'm willing to say I'm completely satisfied.

24. tfannon macrumors newbie

its funny because when i couldnt get one right away due to availabilty

i convinced myself by reading the forums that it was a flawed machine.

however, one day, one came available at the local store and i picked it up on a whim (as someone said: you can always return it).

it is a gorgeous machine that really pushes the industry forward. i'm sure there are going to be incremental improvements over the years as they perfect things, but if you get it you won't be disappointed.

i'm in love with mine. i'd rather work on it than my 27" iMac or my 30" Dell Windows machine.

Mountain Lion delivered enough incremental improvements to give me more faith in Apple as a software provider as well. I make my living doing PC back-end development, and I seriously want a career change after seeing Apple do things right.