Positivity

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlliFlowers, Aug 23, 2015.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Every morning you wake up is a good day, no matter how awful you feel. When someone asks "how are you," smile and say "terrific!" because you're not 6 feet under. Your positivity will be infectious.

Post something positive in this thread. Give us all something to smile about.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If you are reading this post, you woke up this morning. Congratulations and have a great day!

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I can't stand negativity and having a positive attitude truly is a choice. Be positive, both for yourself and for everyone you come in contact with.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Every day you learn something new is a good day!

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I have a difficult time being "positive". I just scrutinize and focus on my failures. If you're like me, remember to take care of yourself and to try and remember the good things you've done.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I woke up alive, I guess that's positive (depending on who ask though ;) )

Tbh, I think if you're on a bad mood or not "up", its ok to be that way. I mean why pretend to be happy and smile when you're not really - that seems dishonest. Plus if something is bothering you and you stuff it deep inside just so you can smile means you're possibly causing other issues down the road.

Sometimes its ok to be in bad mood or angry at a particular situation. Happiness is an emotion that comes and goes. The trick is to be content which is a state of mind.

7. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

I agree.. we're human, so we have ups and downs...
    But every now and then, something happens that gives us a sense of perspective, whether it's a personal triumph, or a tragedy in the news. And then we remember that in 100 years' time, we'll all be dead, and no-one will care.. so we as may as well enjoy our time here and now.

My wife had our first child 3 days ago.. we have a beautiful baby daughter, and life has just taken a sudden profound direction. It's awesome...

8. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Focus on your efforts, and soon you'll be able to focus on your successes. Sometimes we have to push to be positive, but it's always worth it.

Absolutely! We all have those days. But there are many (too many, IMHO), that have those days every day. Even I have my down days, but I don't share them with everyone.

Congratulations! (And thank you for not saying "we had our first child!") Your life is about to get really interesting. Daughters can be...difficult. ;)

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe this is part of your wiring, you can't help it or you, as all of us may have a limited ability to change our outlook. I think our personalities are what they are and we have a limited spectrum of choice. It might be presumed that if you live a comfortable life you should be happy/ positive, and a uncomfortable life, unhappy/negative. In some cases it's true, but in others, people are positive in very challenging situations. I don't believe they choose that, they just happen to be that.

That said, through experience we evolve (I'm speaking of the life of a person). From my own experience my views have altered drastically from when I was a teenager. I have moved to a more empathic place regarding other people. I have a good marriage, but regarding disagreements I can tolerate more than I ever thought possible as a young adult. I'll argue that this is an example of evolving, but it's not based on an intellectual choice as in today, I choose to be positive. You either are or you are'nt, you either have the capacity or you don't.

i think there is a relationship to personality issues/disorders such as depression, like trying to talk a friend who suffers from depression into being happy or to stop drinking. For this circumstance, I think you can give someone perspective, something they can digest and within their spectrum of change, when they see the value, when the negatives become too great, they will find a new path. While I think good advice has an impact, in the big scheme of things I'm not prepared to say how much we can influence others when it involves personality issues.

For the group, would you say that friendly equals positive? I can attest that being friendly to strangers makes a world of difference in how you are perceived and responded to. As a generality what you project is reflected back at you. :)

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm positive but pragmatic so I'm not the chipper sort just the guy who doesn't let people go down a hole. If I have a day where I'm not feeling "it" I go to the gym and beat it out of me it's hard to be anything when you can barely move ;)

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Exercise is a great method of mental adjustment and recognized as one by mental health experts. During my life, when I was younger, I felt most alive and spiritual when running out of doors, marveling at the world, and feeling the blood course through my veins, a natural high more powerful than one artificially induced. :)

12. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

I've never been a runner, but always wished I were. I've done my 12 minute mile when necessary, but beyond that it's just not my thing. Obviously, now I can't. However, I have become the master of non-impact aerobics. I find myself in constant motion for no reason. :)

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Cool thread! A little bit of gratitude can go a long way. My life has been nowhere close to perfect but I wouldn't trade it for the world. For every unfortunate thing that has happened to me, I've had 10,000 good things happen. Focusing on the bad only hinders living a satisfying life. Surrounding yourself with positive people makes life a much better place.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For myself, I started running in a high school football program and at first I hated it. Then a transistion occurred where It became an incredibly positive experience. I'm tempted to use "addictive" but I don't like the negative connotation of addiction. Better to say compelling. :)

I've always thought the fantasy of resetting your life, a "what-if" of going back and changing a major decision was an interesting notion fraught with danger, cause you'd never know what you'd get instead.

15. Jmona macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Congratulations to you and your wife for your beautiful baby's arrival!

16. Jmona, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

Jmona macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Hear hear!
    This is an amazing thread. Thanks Alli for creating it!

Here's something I actually wrote today as I was on my way to beg my doctor to let me get back on chemo since I was forced to stop it in July due to my body no longer responding to it, mind you I'm a Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, SLE Lupus, Severe heart failure and other Autoimmune illnesses survivor for which I was on chemo for.
    (And since I was put on a new drug, it was actually making things worse so much that after I was over stressed from people getting to me which hardly ever happens; it could've been fatal but thankfully I learned let go.
    Sorry for the small explanation but I had to in order for you to understand my encouraging words to myself.)

So, I wrote this for me but also for all the people out there that needed a reminder of how amazing we all are in our very own ways, and I hope it helps at least one of you. Copied from my Instagram btw since that's where I originally posted it.

Here's the way I see it.
    The world has enough critics.
    It doesn't hurt to show kindness to others but most importantly yourself!
    I've gone through enough in my life to know that you should never have to give in to trivialities. Those come and go. Your life however; is just one and while you're here, why waste it in unimportant things when there's so much beauty you can partake in?
    You still breathe air to your lungs, your heart still beats to the rhythm of your blood flow that runs through your veins, your face can still feel the wind softly caressing it.
    If you have a significant other, you can still feel the warmth of their kiss on your lips, if you've got children, you still have the opportunity to see them grow even if for an extra day.
    You may not have it all but surely you've got enough and sometimes enough is all you need.

You have food in your table, you have a roof over your head, you may not be as healthy but you're healthier than others, and more than anything; you've got the love of those around you.

You'll have bad days but that doesn't mean it's a bad life, in fact, why not take the negative and use it to create something positive around you?

Sometimes in order to stand up taller you must fall on your butt hard. But you know what? That's also good as long as you remember what the bottom looks like and carry that humility with you on your way back up.
    Enjoy life for you only have one.
    Don't waste it in trivialities.
    You also don't have to wait to be dying to start living! Take it from this Pro.
    Make the best of what the circumstances give you. Life doesn't have to suck if you enjoy the fact that you're still alive and breathing. And those bad moments won't last forever. Eternity is what you make of it.
    Sometimes breathing is the biggest achievement you can have and that in all honesty is enough as long as you do it with a smile even through the darkest of times. The world is made of survivors. Those who never gave up even when everyone else gave up on them. Because it is true. Sometimes even to live is an act of courage!

Smiles not only lit up rooms but lives too!
    And when you feel like the sun will never come up because the dark clouds in front of you are too thick, remember that atop those grim clouds the sun is shining waiting for the tiniest break to get through to you again and shine brighter than it ever has.
    Don't let illness or the bad stuff in your life for that matter, beat you down and define who you are.
    How you deal with it defines you.
    You can let situations break you or make you, so choose for the later.
    Only you can define yourself but do so for the right reasons.
    For the times were you could've given up but you kept going.
    For the times you wanted to cry but you smiled anyway.
    For the moments when pain was the one thing that made you stronger to face a new day.

You are a strong, beautiful, unique, independent, smart, extraordinary, fierce, courageous, amazing and the definition of what a survivor is.
    Always remember that and carry those marks and scars with you as badges of honor you've acquired through the battles of life, for either losses or triumphs they've made who you are today.
    Every single battle, tear, loss, achievements you've accomplished, are just the testament of how strong you are.
    It won't be the first time nor it will be the last time that you'll go through things that will shake you; but ultimately, these things continue to lead you so you can head just to where you're supposed to be and right where you belong!

Jmona

17. Huntn, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I hope your life travels take you to a good place, while recognizing we are all on borrowed time and it's up to us to recognize and make the best of it. And I'll acknowledge that as someone not facing a life threatening disease, it's easy for me to say this, a far easier challenge than you are facing, while remaining positive. Best wishes!

18. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

It does seem that the most positive people are the ones who have already had the opportunity to face their own mortality.

Don't confuse your right to worry with keeping a positive attitude.

19. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Having had several near death experiences, every day is a bonus day for me and I make them a positive experience.

20. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Here's some new positivity. On Saturday, I walked the 3.1 miles in the Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk for the ACS. I didn't do it for the ACS - I did it because I finally can.

IMG_2237.JPG

21. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Every morning when you wake up, you have one day less to live.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

...and we're alive for an average of 72 years but we're dead forever. :(

23. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Congratulations! Thanks for supporting the ACS! Keep up the good work & best of luck in your recovery.