Possibility of releasing a 'fixed' iPhone 4 soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by outsidethebox, Aug 21, 2010.

1. outsidethebox macrumors member

I am looking to finally buy my first iPhone in the next week or two, but I was concerned that maybe Apple might be planning to release a 'fixed' antenna model. I know Apple usually only releases iPhone models on a fixed schedule (July-August), but with all the bad press this has been getting world-wide, could this time be an exception?

And is there any significance to why the free bumper offer ends on Sept 30? This seems very strange to me, as the bumper doesn't fix the issue, and just seems like a ploy to maybe get rid of as many units as possible, and then release some vaguely improved one soon after in october or something (could this also be why they are waiting so long to release the white iPhone as well?)

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Wouldn't it have to be broken before it could be fixed? Nothing wrong with my iPhone 4.... Nothing wrong with the majority of iPhone 4's.

3. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

I've had an iPhone 4 for about a month now and I still haven't dropped any calls or had any signal loss. Just get the phone.

4. getatkyill macrumors regular

I've had numerous problems EXCEPT the antenna issue..its not real, don't believe the press and all its nonsense. But for problems..my iPhone 4 would crash and turn off randomly almost every night (only could be powered by plugging in phone to wall charger and holding down home+sleep button). Also, sometimes when my texts came in or I was going to send a text ..the persons name or number would disappear from the top and would not let me bring up the keyboard. None of it was software issues..just the phone.

Anyways, brought it back and on my 2nd iPhone 4 which I feel could about but now there is a dead pixel on the screen that is quite noticeable so looks like I'll be bringing back for my 3rd. Soooo be prepared possibly for that, forget the antenna..they've updated and fixed problems through software updates.

5. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

So how come Apple can't figure out what is wrong with "some" of the iphones. Clearly a problem with the antenna exists. So what would cause some to have it and some not to have it.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

For one - the antenna issue is a problem for some. How many - who is to say anymore than how many are encountering your issues. Don't dismiss other people's issues if you expect to have yours "validated"

Second - the issues you relay you are having ARE software issues. Do you KNOW the difference between a hardware issue and a software issue?

Third - No software update is going to fix the antenna issue. Did you even listen or read about Apple's press conference? The issue is physics and a physical issue - nothing that can be "fixed" by software. Apple has only released a fix to how the bars are displayed. It's a visual "trick" and nothing more.

Wow.... the perpetuation of false and inaccurate information you're spreading is amazing.

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I think the problem is with the nut that holds the phone ;)

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Doubtful that they'll release a 'fixed' version of the iPhone 4. Think about it - they've just started the free case program, so if they suddenly released a fixed version then it'd create a confusing mess; why have the free case program if there'd be a revision, would people that got the free case still be eligible to swap, etc. I think if they were planning on a revision, they would have said so at the press conference and would not have launched the free case program, instead choosing to offer to replace problematic phones with the revised model. I also don't think the September 30 date has any significance in regards to a revised model, in the end it wouldn't matter much anyway - if they released a revised version when the free case program expires then it would seem like a huge 'screw you' to people that bothered applying for the case (kind of like the controversial $100 price drop on the original iPhone). Would also be a massive waste of time to have launched the program if there was a more permanent solution in the works.

9. getatkyill macrumors regular

Get over yourself, just letting him/her know not to be surprised IF & when he/she may need to replace the phone for some bs issues. Sorry I don't spend most my days reading the forums on whats wrong with the iPhone 4 now or "antenna issues".

I do know the difference between software & hardware issues considering the fact I did multiple restores on the phone..wiped it clean, even did a restore at the apple store..had diagnostics ran with the phone and they could not find it to be a SOFTWARE issue, simply a bad iPhone. Just trying to let some known the reality side of the iPhone 4 flaws that MAY occur.

kthxbai

10. samcraig macrumors P6

but that's not what you were only doing. You were spreading misinformation. and as if you were stating them as facts... I have nothing to get over. But thanks for your "helpful" advice lol

11. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

Don't expect much useful advice on new devices or fixes. Too many people here screaming THERE IS NOTHING WRONG, which lends to a very unhelpful atmosphere.

That, of course, is based on my experiences here, and with an iPhone 4 that I had to replace once as it wasn't a charge (I must have been holding it wrong) and I now have one that I can watch the antenna bars fluctuate as it sits on a desk.

No problem.

12. getatkyill macrumors regular

:p

13. dpizz450 macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to agree with samcraig.

This is what you said "the antenna issue..its not real, don't believe the press and all its nonsense."

So you weren't trying to pass that off as a fact? Then you come back and say you dont have time to read about the antenna issues. So what are you doing talking about something that you have no idea about? I know for a fact this antenna issue is REAL with SOME phones, but NOT ALL.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

"A fixed iPhone", LOL.

WOW, the media dealt Apple a bad one on the iPhone 4, eh?

There's nothing wrong with the antennae. I've been in downtown cities, rural area's, and mountains since I got my iPhone 4 three weeks ago, not one dropped call and it's crystal clear.

More clear than my BlackBerry Bold 9700, and I think even a little better than my last 3GS.

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

0.00%

16. samcraig macrumors P6

That's nice. That's your experience. Other people experience something different. That doesn't make your scenario fact.

Not to mention - Apple themselves said that there is a loss of signal when held a certain way. And they also said other phones experience the same. So to say there's no issue or that there's nothing wrong. You could argue there's nothing MORE wrong. But again, I would disagree based on several experiences I have seen and read.

The problem with this discussion is that some people want to take their experience and make it the "rule." There are no sides. Some people experience issues - some people don't. That applies to Antennas, screens, software, etc.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Pretty close to the possibility that Rod Blagojevich was actually innocent of all charges.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

the reception problem was extremely exaggerated. most people have NO problems with their iPhone 4s, including me. I can't imagine NOT having this phone, because it just works that well<3

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Dead horse, stop beating it.

When I see someone with a username like this poster stating there’s nothing wrong with the majority of iPhone 4’s, I believe there may be some hope for this world.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

With all do respect Aggie - and I do respect you. The horse can't be dead if people keep "reviving" it.

As I said - there's no discussion - no argument. People are having different experiences. That's really all that matters. No one is any more right than another.

My complaint wasn't with the issue but with a previous posters "facts"

21. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I hate saying this over and over again, they cant offer free cases forever

and i think its the end of Q3

22. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I haven't had a single dropped call with my iPhone 4. It's simply the best phone out there. If you're planning on using any sort of case, you'll never notice signal attenuation anyways. That whole thing was blown out of proportion last month, but its all blowing over now.

23. Dooger macrumors 6502

Woohoo! This thread again! I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms

24. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

25. Surely Guest

Surely

Well, you must have concrete evidence since you say such things with such authority in such big font.:rolleyes: