Possible 12.9" IPP Refresh in September?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macintosh1985, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Macintosh1985 macrumors newbie

I originally bought the IPP on launch day but then returned it due to issues with the display clicking, coupled with the large number of un-optimised apps. I'm now considering buying one again this week, but before doing so would like to know if anyone thinks there is a high possibility that the IPP 12.9 could be updated in the fall to accommodate a new A10X processor and the new true tone display and wide colour gamut seen in the IPP 9.7? Or does it seem more likely that Apple will wait until fall 2017 to release a much improved version instead of just a minor update this fall, when the current one already has more than enough processing power and RAM for the foreseeable future of IOS.

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Your guess is really as good as mine. I can see Apple refresh the iPad Pro 12.9 to give it the same features as its smaller sibling, such as the improved cameras and the true tone display, but those seem like fairly minor upgrades and not really deserving of a new iteration.

Or Apple could be stretching out the iPad update cycles because people are upgrading so often.

Anything could happen at this juncture.

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I think there'll be a few upgrades this autumn, but what and how many, if any, who knows? I mean, the 256 upgrade certainly wasnt expected last week.

4. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Think the important thing is that the "Pro" line has custom tweaks in iOS10

5. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

For the relatively small market of the 12.9 iPP it seems not economical to release a new version so soon. The 256GB version is already released and all other so called "improvements " of the 9.7 iPP are not really important for the big iPad. So I think we are trough with iPads this year and the fall brings new iPhones, iWatches and Macs.

6. businezguy macrumors 6502

I'll go on record with the opinion they will be an update in September/October timeframe. I don't see how the iPhone could get an updated processor while the iPad was skipped. Apple is already having issues with iPad sales, allowing the iPad to fall behind the iPhone combined with the higher pricing of the iPad seems like suicide to me

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It still has the fasted processor Apple makes, doesn't it?

8. businezguy macrumors 6502

When the iPhone 7 comes out, it very well might not. That's my point. I think Apple will need to upgrade the iPad with an A9 processor variant just because the iPhone will have one. Otherwise, they'd likely increase the rate of sales decline in iPads.

9. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

But they did that already with the more important and popular 9.7 iPP, which gets the A9 variant half a year after the iPhone 6s. Do you really think that they will upgrade again half a year later?

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

IMO, the 12.9 iPP is not under powered, so I don't how enticing a faster processor would be. There needs to be something much more interesting than that or else significant enhancements in the OS to make it more usable as the laptop replacement Cook as mentions it as.

11. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I belive one of two things will happen in Autumn/Fall 16
    1. No iPad updates at all or if iPad sales continue to tank there will be no update but a price cut for both models
    2. Update for both 9.7" and 12.9" models unifying them with the same features (i.e. truetone on 12.9" and USB 3 on 9.7")

My personal opinion is that #2 will happen and Apple will wait until 2017 to release a Pro 2. The risk is if there is another breakthrough in CPU speed with the A10 chip so that the iPhone 7 becomes faster than the A9X chip.

12. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm actually expecting the 9.7" to be update right along with the 12.9", it will be basically the iPad Pro event, basically to get the 9.7" to be spec for spec the same

the iPhone 7 is going to be faster then the iPad Pro 9.7", think about that

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The iPhone 7 has nothing to do with the iPad Pro. People would be just as mad that it has been less than a year and they have already brought out an updated model so either way people will whine about it.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I believe there is no chance of the 12.9 iPP hardware being updated this year. Anything that was introduced with the 9.7 Pro will be included with the 12.9 iPP update NEXT YEAR.

This. I believe that there will be significant additions to iOS 10 specifically for the iPP. But I'm not sure that iOS 10 will be released this year.There might be an update to 9.x this year instead.

15. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

This seems much more likely to me as well.

16. an_explorer, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

an_explorer macrumors newbie

I find myself waiting for a 12.9 in. IPP with the 9.7 in IPP features: camera improvements (although I don't see using the 12.9. IPP as my walk-around camera/camcorder), Advanced LTE, embedded Apple SIM, the DCI-P3 wide color gamut (along with Rec. 709 as an optional setting? according to one review), the True Tone Display, and the lower reflective display. Of course if this fall brings an iPhone 7 with an a10 processor and either no 12.9 in. IPP 2 consistent with the 9.7 in. IPP or no integration of the a10 processor (a10x?) into an 12.9 in. IPP 2, I'll be left in the lurch until Apple brings its IPP product line into alignment with itself and the iPhone line. Dear Apple, I am ready to replace my iPad 2 which now performs much less than optimally. Help me help you, Apple.

17. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I don't think it will be ever be spec from spec the same. .....maybe large ipad pro 2 owners will have 6 GB ram while the smaller pro gets 3 or 4gb....only fair in my opinion.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

People said same thing about iPad Mini and iPad Air, then apple got them to be spec to spec the same

19. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

Well the iPad mini 4 has an older processor than the iPad Air 2, so it's not exactly spec for spec

20. Serban Suspended

if the A10 will be more powerful than A9x then yes, and in addition put the true tone display, brighter display and so on and with apple smart keyboard with illuminated keys

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

@wolfedude88 is correct. And aside from that, how long did it take for the Mini to reach near-parity to the Air? hint: It wasn't one generation.

True. I see Apple starting to stagger the updates across devices. This allows them to slow down the rate in which they update the iPads while still regularly injecting improvements into the product line.

22. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Seeing how the biggest criticism for iPad Pro 9.7 in reviews has been that it has half the ram as the 12.9, I would be SHOCKED if Apple goes another round with releasing a weaker 9.7. There is nothing physically limiting about the 9.7 size that they couldn't have had 4GB RAM beside trying to save pennies, Tim Cook's favorite hobby

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

There is not going to up an update to the 9.7 Pro this year... period. If there is an update to the 12.9 Pro, it will be to add those things like TrueTone that were introduced with the 9.7.

Is it possible for the 9.7 Pro to include 4GB RAM next year? Yes, it's possible. The likelihood of that happening really depends upon what Apple does with iOS this year.

24. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Of course iPad Pro 12.9 will be upgraded in October. But current users of an iPad Pro shouldnt be worried about it. The 12.9 Pro is an iPad for at least 3 years of usage, total powerhouse!