Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgauss7

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Miami
iPhone X and Plus: Ego vs. visual impact

When the Plus came out for the 6, it felt impossibly large. Over time, the vision of 50+ users demanded the larger fonts it provided.

Now the iPhone X satisfies the need for those larger fonts, and it is a welcome relief for the pocket carry mode mode (men mostly), but it is not important for women, who have the advantage of a purse carry mode.

But the X feels less "professional" or "serious" than the 7/8 Plus. The Plus conveys confidence, authority, executive gravitas that the 6/7/8 or X do not provide. Executives feel now the ego letdown the X brings, it is no longer the dominant tool of the Alpha leader in the room.

Like when we got used to the 6/7 and someone produced a 4 or a 5. That 4 or 5 looked like a child's toy in the conference room.

Today we expect the middle management cast to carry a 15" laptop, but we expect top management to carry a 13" laptop. We want our accountant and production manager (and many of our lawyers) to be detailed, and carry the 15". But we want the top management, the top lawyers, to be Jetset types, ready for Hong Kong at a moment's notice, with their 13" laptop. Dare I say with their 12" laptop and iPad?

Still, the X vs. X Plus is the marketing question of the day. We all see the 4 and 5 as children sized. The 6/7/8 size as standard, and the Plus as the 2015 tool. But it does get in the way, and Hollywood actors will not look good barking out presidential orders on a Plus. 50 years from now...even 10 years from now George Clooney hiding his gorgeous face behind the Plus iPad look will be dated. Too large. More Clooney, less phone.

What is truly needed now is you press a button and your 8 becomes an 8 Plus size or back (zip zip), all border to border of course like the X, and the notch filled in with transparent cameras (put the lenses forward, the electronics in the background). With little BMW purring whirring sound effect while the phone changes its dimensions per your whim. Flexible, adjustable, sizable enabled. If you walk into production meetings and you wanna look engineering detailed minded, you select the 8 Plus size. For the 10th (100th) top management floor, you press X size.

You want Clooney in a cool private jet with his properly sized phone and Jetset laptop running the New World Peace Clean Free Solar Power For All Council. You want Paul Giamatti hiding that face behind the Plus Plus Plus model with a 17.5" laptop acting like the bad guy trying to look cool like Clooney but knowing better.

Google 'Time Magazine Apple Must', hello from Cortland!

Last edited:

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2017
iPhone X and Plus: Ego vs. visual impact

When the Plus came out for the 6, it felt impossibly large. Over time, the vision of 50+ users demanded the larger fonts it provided.

Now the iPhone X satisfies the need for those larger fonts, and it is a welcome relief for the pocket carry mode mode (men mostly), but it is not important for women, who have the advantage of a purse carry mode.

But the X feels less "professional" or "serious" than the 7/8 Plus. The Plus conveys confidence, authority, executive gravitas that the 6/7/8 or X do not provide. Executives feel now the ego letdown the X brings, it is no longer the dominant tool of the Alpha leader in the room.

Like when we got used to the 6/7 and someone produced a 4 or a 5. That 4 or 5 looked like a child's toy in the conference room.

Today we expect the middle management cast to carry a 15" laptop, but we expect top management to carry a 13" laptop. We want our accountant and production manager (and many of our lawyers) to be detailed, and carry the 15". But we want the top management, the top lawyers, to be Jetset types, ready for Hong Kong at a moment's notice, with their 13" laptop. Dare I say with their 12" laptop and iPad?

Still, the X vs. X Plus is the marketing question of the day. We all see the 4 and 5 as children sized. The 6/7/8 size as standard, and the Plus as the 2015 tool. But it does get in the way, and Hollywood actors will not look good barking out presidential orders on a Plus. 50 years from now...even 10 years from now George Clooney hiding his gorgeous face behind the Plus iPad look will be dated. Too large. More Clooney, less phone.

What is truly needed now is you press a button and your 8 becomes an 8 Plus size or back (zip zip), all border to border of course like the X, and the notch filled in with transparent cameras (put the lenses forward, the electronics in the background). With little BMW purring whirring sound effect while the phone changes its dimensions per your whim. Flexible, adjustable, sizable enabled. If you walk into production meetings and you wanna look engineering detailed minded, you select the 8 Plus size. For the 10th (100th) top management floor, you press X size.

You want Clooney in a cool private jet with his properly sized phone and Jetset laptop running the New World Peace Clean Free Solar Power For All Council. You want Paul Giamatti hiding that face behind the Plus Plus Plus model with a 17.5" laptop acting like the bad guy trying to look cool like Clooney but knowing better.

Google 'Time Magazine Apple Must', hello from Cortland!
Wow. Lol.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Would you pay up to $1300 (my guess) for a possible 6.5 inch iPhone X Plus next year? If true, it would match the current price of the base model MacBook Pro. Current iPhone X owners, do you think we are beta testing the X? Businesses are pushing the boundaries in terms of pricing. Look at video games with their micro-transactions, half baked games, and forcing loot boxes down our throats (sorta), laptop and phone makers pushing you to buy dongles and so forth.

So far the FaceID has been proven to be unlocked without the users face, initial early scratches/easily scratch-able phones (multiple threads in this forum), GLOD (green line of death), glass is easily breakable compared to previous iPhone models, cracking speakers at high volume, and the ever so notch problem (only to those that are annoyed by it).

I am enjoying the X so far and really love the form factor, as I can hold it in one hand comfortably again over the Plus phones. However, the Plus Xs seem tempting, if true. I have, without a doubt, confidence that Apple will release a Plus size X next year. That way they can get people who bought the X to buy another new iPhone again. It's always been Apple's strategy. Give em a little now, and incrementally come out with something better. Or, do you think Apple should have released the Plus size now alongside with the regular X?

Positives on the Plus size X:

-True multitasking like Ipad Pro
-Picture in Picture
-Longer battery life
-Better PPI
-120hz screen

The way this is going, I assume the regular iPhone models (6, 7, 8 styles) be phased out.

Sources

FaceID:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...xtremely-creepy-mask-cracks-iphone-xs-face-id

Kid unlocks mother's iPhone X usinf FaceID:
https://www.wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/

iPhone X Plus:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/13/apple-could-launch-a-bigger-iphone-x-plus-next-year-report-says/

https://www.idropnews.com/rumors/iphone-x-plus/51494/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/13/kuo-three-new-iphones-2018/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...phone-x-plus-rumor-two-fullscreen-phones-2018

If it fit in my hand then YES it will take care on two product iPhone and iPad 7"

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Personally, I would not even consider it. It's not the price, I'm just not a fan of plus model devices. My X is just right for me.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
That price point is just so lofty for something that could easily be stolen or lost or broken. I hope they come out with a less expensive bezel-free model.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Being the iPhone X Plus is highly likely to be a reality in fall 2018 as predicted by Kuo, I would say the price point would be around $1200 starting for a 128 GB model, with the 256 GB being the only other storage model offered at the highest price point.

Bruce Banner

Suspended
Feb 14, 2018
Being the iPhone X Plus is highly likely to be a reality in fall 2018 as predicted by Kuo, I would say the price point would be around $1200 starting for a 128 GB model, with the 256 GB being the only other storage model offered at the highest price point.
I agree on your price point! But disagree on storage I don't see a 128 GB becoming entry model?

I think it will go this way

64GB - $1099
256 GB - $1199

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
For $1300 Apple has to put more bells and whistles in the phone not just increase the screen size. And also Apple has to teach the iPhone to cook me dinner
All kidding aside 2018 will be the year of software polishing not new features
So the next iPhone may not be worth the price unless it has AR or maybe 5G

Reactions: Bruce Banner

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
I'm buying the X plus no matter what the cost; though I won't be upgrading for a least two years after that. I find the X plus to be perfect for me and if it came in the Gold color with better face id, then all needs would be met.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
Probably not, even if I could afford it, I like small, one handed phones too much. The SE is pretty much perfect for me. Although I'd consider upgrading to the X if they made it the size of an SE!
My hands are super small to give you an idea, I am just 4'10. I had the iphone se now the iphone X. I have never had the first problem with this phone's size. I will however never want a larger one.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Thats the phone I'm waiting for. Returned my X to wait. Don't really feel too bad about using the 7 plus for another year.

The price is cheaper than I guessed. I was thinking it would end up being 1500, which I would still pay.

Just going to sell my iPad to offset some cost, and use the phone exclusively.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Probably not. It’s my intention to get just the battery serviced on my 8+ and wife’s X in about another 12 months and continue using these phones until 2020.

I’m not longer in the market for flagship iPhones. The rate of innovation has slowed enough where I’m fine with having a prior generation and saving the money.

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s easier being single with a $1,500 phone. If I had a serious girlfriend or wife, Apple spending would be a little different.
Indeed. I’ve got a wife and kids and although I could afford it, my priorities are a little different these days. It also comes down to needs and when I can get the same tasks done on a £650 iPhone, it seems pointless spending double that these days.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Indeed. I’ve got a wife and kids and although I could afford it, my priorities are a little different these days. It also comes down to needs and when I can get the same tasks done on a £650 iPhone, it seems pointless spending double that these days.

this is so true. sad, but true. in denmark the iPhone X is 1600 USD, and it just feels stupid to spend that if you could buy a phone able to do the same stuff for 600 and then spend 1000 on a small vacation with the kids and wife instead. God i miss being young and single, with zero responsibility.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

snoonw

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2016
No, you get more with Apple. Who do you think gives you a better combination of these: hardware, software, usability, ecosystem, warranty, quality, privacy, security, etc.

u get all that with pixel and more even pixel is smoother then any other phone
has awesome VR i use it so much
google assistant leap year ahead of siri
usability? all phones r useable
warranty u get 2yrs not one
quality is flawless lot less buggy then X
privacy- there is just a myth
security- google has the best security team on the planet they discovered the the big intel arm bug . they have the best security team look at all the papers and research being done by google
AI is used to make the phones very secure. but if u download apps from outside play store without paying u have a risk
AI - is so missing from iphones compared to pixel atleast 10 times more AI
google AI is the leading platform in most financial companies goldman sach, morgan stanley, jpmc all use tensorflow its not just the finance industry everyone is using google AI
technologically google is the leader in even facebook and amazon have more tech then apple look at what they have created

most of the features of X
oled got in 2010 so only 8yrs late
wireless charging got in 2012-6yrs late but this tech has been around before smartphones i interviewed for a job in 2003 doing wireless charging
turbo charging 2014 and it came in the box
mobile payments came in 2012 yrs ahead but samsung pay is probably the most ocnnected because it works everywhere u can use credit cards

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
u get all that with pixel and more even pixel is smoother then any other phone
has awesome VR i use it so much
google assistant leap year ahead of siri
usability? all phones r useable
warranty u get 2yrs not one
quality is flawless lot less buggy then X
privacy- there is just a myth
security- google has the best security team on the planet they discovered the the big intel arm bug . they have the best security team look at all the papers and research being done by google
AI is used to make the phones very secure. but if u download apps from outside play store without paying u have a risk
AI - is so missing from iphones compared to pixel atleast 10 times more AI
google AI is the leading platform in most financial companies goldman sach, morgan stanley, jpmc all use tensorflow its not just the finance industry everyone is using google AI
technologically google is the leader in even facebook and amazon have more tech then apple look at what they have created

most of the features of X
oled got in 2010 so only 8yrs late
wireless charging got in 2012-6yrs late but this tech has been around before smartphones i interviewed for a job in 2003 doing wireless charging
turbo charging 2014 and it came in the box
mobile payments came in 2012 yrs ahead but samsung pay is probably the most ocnnected because it works everywhere u can use credit cards
Glad you’re happy with your pixel, choice is great isn’t it :)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
this is so true. sad, but true. in denmark the iPhone X is 1600 USD, and it just feels stupid to spend that if you could buy a phone able to do the same stuff for 600 and then spend 1000 on a small vacation with the kids and wife instead. God i miss being young and single, with zero responsibility.
Yeah I think priorities change when you have family. The previous iPhone price was about the limit I was willing to pay for a mobile phone so now it’s £300 more, it’s lost my interest. An even more expensive phablet version is not even on the radar.i just don’t need to spend that much on an iPhone to get an iPhone lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.