Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Personally I consider my purchase of a new iPhone every year as a fun indulgence. It's difficult to quantify it's actual "value" since, for me, it's just a fun new toy. Had Apple made a Plus size of the X then I would have bought it, but they didn't, so I bought an 8+. If they come out with a Plus size X variant next year then I'll buy that one. Whether its $1200 or $1500, to me it's irrelevant, since I'll be upgrading again in a years time anyway. Whether or not it's worth it? Well value, like beauty, is strictly in the eye of the beholder. I never meant the Apple tax comment to be derogatory. Simply used the term to describe my ambivalence on the speculated pricing of the possible Plus size X. Didn't mean to set anyone off;)

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
As much as I am a fan of the Plus model and ready to “parkour over a fence” for one, I’m ultimately going to do the same thing I did this year: weigh the price against what’s being offered.

In my mind, I’m thinking it’s going to fall somewhere in the $1199 for 64GB to $1399 for the 256GB. With that being my thought, I won’t be surprised if Apple goes $1299 and $1499 (because Apple) due to the size of the OLED screen, improved FaceID, 4GB RAM, larger battery, and another camera upgrade.

The question for myself will be “is this enough?” At the $1199/$1399 range, sure. I’ll end up keeping it for at least 2 years without a doubt. At the $1299/$1499 range, I’m going to pause and look real closely at the device. I have the 8 Plus now, so I’m not in a situation where I have to upgrade next year.

Thing is... I really would like a full screen Plus... so maybe it won’t matter at the end. Impulse buy and all, lol

EDIT: Thank you @urkel for that amazing parkour reference!

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
The phrase “Apple tax”, meaning paying more just because it has an Apple logo, is just BS.

Ah, no. The apple tax refers to always paying more because it is apple. Today, nothing is vastly superior to the other. The iPhone is not superior to the Galaxy S8, and nor is the S8 superior to the iPhone. It's user preference. If you understand this, then its easy to see just exactly what the apple tax is. Because for $1000 you get much more in the box of a Galaxy phone than Apple would dream of including in theirs.

Galaxy has a gorgeous OLED screen, microSD expansion, Fast charging out of the box, always on display, Fingerprint sensor, and a plethora of other features not found on an iPhone for $1000. Want Fast charging with your iPhone? That's another 80 dollars on top of a $1000 dollar phone. The apple tax is not BS. The argument to defend the tax is.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ah, no. The apple tax refers to always paying more because it is apple. Today, nothing is vastly superior to the other. The iPhone is not superior to the Galaxy S8, and nor is the S8 superior to the iPhone. It's user preference. If you understand this, then its easy to see just exactly what the apple tax is. Because for $1000 you get much more in the box of a Galaxy phone than Apple would dream of including in theirs.

Galaxy has a gorgeous OLED screen, microSD expansion, Fast charging out of the box, always on display, Fingerprint sensor, and a plethora of other features not found on an iPhone for $1000. Want Fast charging with your iPhone? That's another 80 dollars on top of a $1000 dollar phone. The apple tax is not BS. The argument to defend the tax is.

Finally some common sense in this thread.
You have others calling the unreasonable Apple price markup an Apple discount :D lol
Lets just jack up the price an extra $300, well because Apple that's why.
And yes you can now have some of the stuff the competitors were offering on their devices over 3-4 years ago for the new magical price of only $999 :D

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I can only speak for myself in these forums. For me, the 7 Plus 256 to the 64 X was $2 more.
I was paying $47/mo with my 7 plus 256 GB and I still pay $47/mo with my 8 plus 256 GB. Moving to the X 256 GB my payment would've went to $56/mo.

I couldn't drop down to a 64 GB unless I wanted to kill off my music collection on my phone so I need the larger size. If 128 GB would've been an option with the X, I probably could've made that work.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I was paying $47/mo with my 7 plus 256 GB and I still pay $47/mo with my 8 plus 256 GB. Moving to the X 256 GB my payment would've went to $56/mo.

I couldn't drop down to a 64 GB unless I wanted to kill off my music collection on my phone so I need the larger size. If 128 GB would've been an option with the X, I probably could've made that work.

Yea, no changes win my music collection. I just moved to iCloud for photos and music. Works well, don’t even think about storage. You’re right though, 128GB would have been enough for a lot of people I think.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Personally, I don’t believe there’s an Apple tax. The existence of higher and lower prices for items isn’t evidence of an Apple tax, just like the existence of higher and lower priced clothes, many of which is all identical in quality, isn’t a “tax”.

I think apple narrow down iPhone X due aspect ratio for the video/photo and overall GUI purpose, I'm sure x+ will have many advantage over X.
They didn’t make it narrow. It fits the hand much like an iPhone 8.

Absolutely

Why are people harping on about the X not being as big as the Plus phones and not offering this or that? Let me tell you a little secret - it was never intended to be as big as or offer the same as Plus phone. It is what it is, a new form factor for those who don't like carrying around phablets, something that only slightly wider than the regular phone but with a bit more vertical screen estate.

Me? I’m not. I don’t care either way, since I prefer the iPhone SE and am using one now. ;). I was just correcting incorrect presumptions that an X+ screen would just be a bigger screen without much difference over the X.

The X is clearly just an iPhone 8 with a taller screen. Why would anyone expect the X+ to not be akin to the 8+?? It’ll be able to take advantage of a number of features that iOS already offer on the Plus phones.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

You’re hung up on hardware.

As I said in another post above:

For the total package, however you define that—hardware, software, usability, ecosystem, warranty, quality, privacy, security, etc—Apple [gives] you the best value for your money.​

And if you want to talk hardware, fine compare it to the Note8. iPhone X has the better display, camera, face unlocking and CPU. And the 12W Apple charger is $19.

Things are worth what buyers will pay. Apple has sold hundreds of millions of their flagship phones. If people thought they cost too much, that they weren’t “worth it”, then they would have bought Android flagships instead. People aren’t stupid. Paying more to get more is hardly a tax.

Last edited:

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
They didn’t make it narrow. It fits the hand much like an iPhone 8.

Well in that case - maybe you should look at the following diagram between 6s to X

Clearly Apple actually narrow down the width between 8 and 8+ and taller screen for the X

iPhone 6s:

ip6s.png

iPhone 7:

IP7.png

iPhone 8:

IP8.png

Iphone X:

IP x.png

Screen Size from 6s to 8

IP Screen.png

Screen Size for Iphone X:

IP X Screen.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
No, you get more with Apple. Who do you think gives you a better combination of these: hardware, software, usability, ecosystem, warranty, quality, privacy, security, etc.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

For the total package, however you define that—hardware, software, usability, ecosystem, warranty, quality, privacy, security, etc—Apple [gives] you the best value for your money.​

Yes, and that's where Apple was a winner with software.
But now their software and newer iOS versions are really starting to suck, and seems like they keep putting out buggy versions to the public without a care.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
No, you get more with Apple. Who do you think gives you a better combination of these: hardware, software, usability, ecosystem, warranty, quality, privacy, security, etc.

That's why Apple is no1 position within market share - they are the best for general & business purpose.

Blackberry is also one of the best hardware, software, usability, privacy and much better security in blackberry OS, they are more focus in business area.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It’ll probably be what the X is at right now.

If it’s $1149, then yes. Probably.

But I’m getting to that point in my life where I don’t get the feeling to get a new device every year. Before my X I used the 6S Plus; even the cool dual camera system wasn’t enough to sway me for the 7.

If Apple had only released the 8 and 8 Plus this year, I likely would have upgraded for the larger capacity and wireless charging (wireless charging is really really cool).
Yeah, I'd imagine the X Plus or whatever they call it (iPhone Pro) will debut at current X pricing and the X slides down to $849 or so.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Price for the X in Denmark today is 1317 dollars for the 64gb and 1622 dollars for the 256 GB one. With no applecare. But including shipping ;)

If they created a plus size with no bezel i would not mind paying 1700 dollars for it. (Altho in Denmark it would come closer to 2000 dollars)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
No phone is really worth more than $400. This is how each should cost -

Gaming consoles - $200-$300
Tablets - $50-$200
Smartphones - $50-$400
Laptops - $200-$800

I remember when a Moto E two years ago went for $9.99 on Black Friday. I'm still using one! $1300 for another surfboard phone? Hell, no. Rather go on two cruises with that money.

An SE is going for $103 this Black Friday. I would rather buy 13 of those than 1 iPhone Xs Plus.
my parents paid 700$ for a 3Do game system back in 93. Prices of electronics have always been high for certain things.
Remember when hddvd players first came out and Blu ray. The same goes for 4k tv's and oled sets.
Give it time they mightttt go down in price over 10 years. Just depends on how these next 5 year go if more and more people upgrade really.
If people keep buying every year as much as they do now they prices will stay the same or go up.
Im hoping prices go way down trust me.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
iPhone X has a gorgeous OLED screen too. Differences are minor and pedantic. Don't need MicroSD expansion, I've got 40GB spare on a 64GB phone. It's just a phone after all, not a laptop or iPad replacement for mass media consumption. My phone battery has been amazing, don't need fast charging, and even then, it'll be here soon for those who want it. When I can get up at 7am and go to bed at 11pm with a phone still over 80%, it's a moot issue. Not interested in an always on display, it's genuinely distracting. I know, I had a Galaxy S'something once between iPhones - never again. What do I need a fingerprint sensor for when Face ID just works, and works far better than Samsung's offering? If it struggles, which is rare, I can just enter a passcode. Simples. What are these other "features" you mention that are not found on an iPhone that are oh-so-important to daily life?

Believe it or not I'm not defending anything here, it's personal preference at the end of the day. I had an iPad way before I had an iPhone, so when it came to upgrading my dumb phone, the logical choice was iPhone. Familiar interface that just works, apps that are truly optimised for the hardware and generally more polished than on Android, and hardware that actually feels premium. Not only that, I can buy an iPhone and know that it's going to be worth a good portion of it's money after one or two years. With Android it's pretty much dead money because they are so prevalent and with so many cheap knock-offs.

At the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your choice. I happen to think current mobile phones are way under priced for their power and capabilities. What's BS here is the fact that you come here bashing people who prefer Apple products, yet take the high-road yourself with worshipping Samsung. Hypocrite, no?

Reactions: CPTmom2wp

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you

Actually I am not. That's your interpretation. I explained that neither company makes a superior choice and that it's user preference today.

I agree and disagree. It's subjective. And opinion. Android fans would be all too happy to disagree with us. I choose apple because of everything you outlined, but I am aware that I can get a very similar experience with Android and get more out of the box. Read real world reviews by Flossy or iPhonedo on youtube. The iPhone X is awesome, but not superior to anything on the market.​

And if you want to talk hardware, fine compare it to the Note8. iPhone X has the better display, camera, face unlocking and CPU. And the 12W Apple charger is $19.

Apple does not have a superior OLED screen or camera. The average consumer will never see the slight improvements. I'll agree that FaceID is better on an iPhone, but again, I am not losing anything by choosing a Note8.

Things are worth what buyers will pay. Apple has sold hundreds of millions of their flagship phones. If people thought they cost too much, that they weren’t “worth it”, then they would have bought Android flagships instead. People aren’t stupid. Paying more to get more is hardly a tax.

That's just it. You are not paying more and getting more. I have shown that. You are certainly getting less and paying more. That is the apple way. Always has been. I am not buying an iPhone because my disply screen is slightly better than on a competitors device. It is user experience and I choose to use iOS. As do many, many people. I know the shortcomings of apple products as do many, many people. There is a lot wrong with the iPhone X, and many things right with the iPhone X. I look forward to the larger OLED sizes in 2018.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Actually I am not. That's your interpretation. I explained that neither company makes a superior choice and that it's user preference today.

I agree and disagree. It's subjective. And opinion. Android fans would be all too happy to disagree with us. I choose apple because of everything you outlined, but I am aware that I can get a very similar experience with Android and get more out of the box. Read real world reviews by Flossy or iPhonedo on youtube. The iPhone X is awesome, but not superior to anything on the market.​

Apple does not have a superior OLED screen or camera. The average consumer will never see the slight improvements. I'll agree that FaceID is better on an iPhone, but again, I am not losing anything by choosing a Note8.

That's just it. You are not paying more and getting more. I have shown that. You are certainly getting less and paying more. That is the apple way. Always has been. I am not buying an iPhone because my disply screen is slightly better than on a competitors device. It is user experience and I choose to use iOS. As do many, many people. I know the shortcomings of apple products as do many, many people. There is a lot wrong with the iPhone X, and many things right with the iPhone X. I look forward to the larger OLED sizes in 2018.
You’re still hung up on only considering the hardware, still ignoring other characteristics of value including software, usability, ecosystem, warranty, quality, privacy and security.

Fine, let’s continue to talk only hardware, which you keep saying the iPhone isn’t better, and say you’ve shown you don’t get more with the iPhone.

You say the X does not have a superior OLED screen or camera, but in the next sentence admit it does when you say “the average consumer will never see the slight improvements.”

You admit FaceID is better, but then say you “lose nothing by choosing Note8”. What you lose is FaceID, the most secure, unobtrusive method for continuously verifying that it’s you who should have access to the phone.

But then you completely ignore the A11, which puts the Qualcomm 835 to shame. Toms Hardware ran benchmarks, and the A11 “obliterated” the 835:
  • Geekbench 4 multicore: iPhone-10,170, Note 8-6,564
  • 3DMark: iPhone-62,212, Note 8-39,834
  • Exporting and saving a 2 minute 4K video: iPhone-42 seconds, Note 8-more than 3 minutes
  • Opening a 5 MB PDF file: iPhone-under 0.8 seconds, Note 8-6.41 seconds
You’ve convinced yourself the Note 8 is better, and I’m sure facts won’t sway you. Ok, whatever makes you happy you should buy. You obviously prefer your Android. That’s fine.

As I’ve said, you may pay more with Apple but you get more. The hundreds of millions of buyers who choose iPhone flagships over Android flagships know that, and they have spoken, in vast numbers.

Reactions: CPTmom2wp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.