possible bad news for the iPhone? the LG Dare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Jun 27, 2008.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I just don't get why they even try. Touchscreens on non-iPhone phones are the squishy saran-wrapy type from the early '90s. They get torn up SO easily.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

great
    this phone has a better CAMERA than my iPhone
    well my CAMERA has a better CAMERA than this phone. And a bigger screen too. 3 inches? go big or go home LG

I dont care if they release a touchscreen phone with a cinema quality video camera in it

they can't ever compare to the iPhone because of 2 things
    1. Mac OSX. Not OSX mobile, the REAL OSX
    2. AppStore. 'Nuff said

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I have to say, Apple is keeping competitors on their toes, except they are accomplishing nothing. I have seen no phone out there that is making me second guess my iPhone. No interface or design is making me think twice. The Blackberry Bold however, looks good.

5. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I think the main problem with all these so called iPhone competitors is that they don't have the infrastructure behind them like the iPhone/touch/iPod does.

6. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

If you only knew how the reporters at trade papers like Information Week are paid by companies to write storys to puff products...

7. mattrobs macrumors member

I love how they completely ripped off the Settings icon. And what the hell is with the angled icons?

8. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

agreed, like i said i dont think any phone can compete with the iphone. and now with the app store coming out, it will completely **** on all competitors

9. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Nothing is bad news for the iPhone......until of course Apple comes out with something new and shiny!

10. animenick65 macrumors 6502

The fact of the matter is that the iPhone makes 99% of the other phones out there look like total crap. Pick up a regular smart phone and then pick up an iPhone. When I first did I got really pis***ed off that I had been paying for crap all these years. Features and hardware aside, the iPhones interface beats EVERYTHING out there. Throw in innovative features that work and you have a top notch phone that I don't feel bad about shelling the money for.

11. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yawn, yet another phone that claims to be an iphone killer because of a fancier camera. Most people don't buy a phone with the idea of the camera being the main feature (although it would be nice if the iphone had at least SOME video recording for a quick YouTube video or something *looks at Apple*). But like almost all other phones, I would bet that the web browsing experience doesn't even compare to the iphone's, there won't be an app store on this phone, Verizon's music and tv show store for their phones is pretty limited, no multi-touch, etc. etc. Sorry, nice try LG and Verizon- at least it was a better effort than the Voyager.

12. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

my opinion, every touch phone that LG has came out with are just phones, while the iPhone is a smartphone. I think that is another reason why LG will not be an "iphone killer" soon.

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

too funny

I am laughing my butt off that the ONLY thing this writer goes into depth in .. is the camera. yeah. that's why I buy a phone. to take pictures!

The more these guys compare to the iphone, the better the iphone looks.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Why is it that everybody seems to forget the biggest draw to the iphone. No it's not the amazing interface. No it's not the amazing web browsing. No it's not the CAMERA. No it's not the multitouch. No it's not even the app store!

Those things help build it into the greatest phone ever, sure. But the biggest draw for the iphone is the fact that it's an ipod. Plan and simple. ipods have become synonymous with mp3. They hold, what like over 75% of the market?

Now with the phone/ipod combo they will begin to dominate the cell phone industry.

16. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I think the biggest draw to the iPhone is the UI and the design. Then comes the other ton of great things it has.

17. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Hahaha....that headline actually made me laugh. Im not saying these companies arent making excellent phones. If the iphone was not out they would be great phones but they simply cant compare to the iphone UI and browser. Plus, my music is nice and neat on itunes, not so much on others apps.

18. wildwonderful macrumors newbie

The biggest thing these so called iPhone competitors don't seem to get is that slapping a touch screen on a phone is not going to offer the same experience as the iPhone. Like some of you have said, OS X gives the iPhone a huge advantage as far as UI and usability. The one major thing that these other companies miss is that the iPhone is Multi-touch. These other companies just slap on an awkward, one fingered touch screen, and it just feels cheap. Part of the beauty of the iPhone is all the cool pinches, swipes and other sweet multi touch features. Anyway, my two cents.

19. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Dare Display: 260K Color TFT, 240 x 400 pixels, 3.0"
    iPhone Display: 16.7M Color TFT, 320x480 pixels, 3.5"

Epic Fail. One of the best things about the iPhone is its awesome screen, and it sounds like the Dare's screen is far worse.

20. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

My partner just ordered this phone yesterday. I offered to buy him the iPhone but her refuses to leave VZW. I am curious to see this phone up close. I like the camera feature but that is about it.

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

There's lots of non-iPhone touchscreens that are of equal quality. The HTC diamond has a glass screen just like the iPhone.

The only place you might still find squishier screens is on a lower end Palm or Windows Mobile device that's designed for pure stylus use and uses one of the craptastic plastic LCDs (though I've used PDAs and smartphones for years and never had one the consistency of saran wrap, except for that one time when I made a homemade screen protector. Not a good idea.)

It's the UI beneath the touchscreens that makes the difference.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There are several factors (of many more, I'm sure) that make people buy something OTHER than an iPhone.

1) They don't want to be on the chosen carrier. That alone keeps millions away.

2) They don't want to pay for a smartphone nor use its features. My wife is perfectly happy with her old clamshell. All she wants to do is call and answer. She doesn't care one bit about the UI.

3) They learn and/or use things differently. Some people are visual learners, others tactile or auditory. Some just like real buttons they can find without looking.

The iPhone is great for many people. Other phones are great for other people. There's no such thing as a one size fits all, whether it's clothes or phones or TVs or cars.

23. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

well the one thing I love about the iPhone is the web Browser not many come close.

ChrisN

24. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Help me understand why the release of something better from a competing phone mfg (just for grins, pretend it was actually better) is "BAD NEWS"? Excellent competition would be great for iPhone customers in that it keeps the pressure on for improvement.

I am always oddly confused by this reaction in all categories. Oh no, the new Mercedes C63 is faster than my M3...aaaaahhhh. Did it make yours slower?

25. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Everyone if forgetting something here.

1. Apple has made a GREAT product in the iPhone
    2. Other companies trying to offer the other carriers (non AT&T) a competing product to use is great since Apple won't. Just look at how many are trying to unlock and Jailbreak iPhones so they can only use a portion of the features on other Carriers plans.
    3. Competition is GREAT for us iPhone users.
    a. It drives Apple to offer more stuff like features (cut 'n paste), better camera, MMS, & etc.
    b. Competion keeps prices fair.

So, come on other companies. Keep trying. It's good for us if you come out with an awesome product that stirs Apple.

Edit: After posting, it looks like several of us caught the same points.