Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new photo depicting what could be the rear shell for the next-generation iPhone SE or "iPhone 7s" has surfaced on Chinese social network Sina Weibo. The photo was later submitted to leak aggregator Slashleaks.

iPhone-SE-2-slashleaks-800x631.jpg

There's no way of telling whether this photo is real or not, but it appears to show a bump-less cutout for a single-lens camera with another cutout for what might be a vertically-aligned LED flash.

The document in the photo suggests the iPhone, codenamed N79, could have a strengthened Ion-X glass display like the Apple Watch. If real, the paperwork likely belongs to one of Apple's contract manufacturing partners in Taiwan, such as Foxconn, Pegatron, or Wistron.

There's not much else that can be gleaned from the photo, asides from what appears to be more of an iPhone 7-like design, which would be a shift away from an iPhone 5s design if this is indeed for the iPhone SE as Slashleaks suggests.

This would be the first next-generation iPhone SE design rumor we've seen so far this year, so treat it with a healthy dose of skepticism. Last year, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple is unlikely to release a new iPhone SE in the first half of 2017, suggesting a refresh won't occur before the end of June.

If that timeline is accurate, Apple could be planning to announce the next iPhone SE alongside the tentatively named iPhone 7s, iPhone 7s Plus, and iPhone 8 in September. Or, it could wait until spring 2018, given the original iPhone SE launched in March 2016. At this point, it's too early to say.

Apple doubled the iPhone SE's storage capacities to 32GB and 128GB a few months ago.

Article Link: Possible Leak Suggests Next iPhone SE or iPhone 7s Could Have Strengthened Ion-X Glass Display

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Ion-X Glass on my AW has performed well, but it's a small screen. I do know the glass on the iPhone 6 is not all that tough hit at the right angle so maybe this will be an improvement.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
YES, YES, YES. Please let this be real, scale of the Apple logo to the body seems to suggest it's SE sized. Please Apple don't abandon the SE form factor. I hope this is real.
To me it looks like a 4.7 inch something iphone.
So it could be the back of the 7s, but it could also be the back of a new se, that just won' t be 4 inch anymore, but bigger and my guess is also 4.7 inch.
Apple has to do something for the chinese market now, so if they are going to launch a cheaper new iphone, it has to have bigger screen than the 4 inch se.(chinese customers want bigger screens).
It makes absolutely no sense to make another and new 4 inch se, they already have one, that is fast enough.
Mu guess: the back of the 7s.

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Apple's fragmentation of everything is a mess. iPhones, iPads, Macs - just have mini/SE/whatever, regular and pros for everything.

Reactions: Avieshek

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
thats exactly whats happening. all of this years iPhones will have glass backs
No, just the ones that have wireless charging to have the glass backs make sense.
And i don' t think the se will have wireless charging. If this leak is real, it must be the 7s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.