Possible Malware "Passcode Require" message

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Jimbo Asprilla, May 4, 2016.

1. Jimbo Asprilla macrumors regular

Jimbo Asprilla

So I saw a message on my phone for the first time today, a dialog box which was seemingly requesting me to change my passcode within the next 60 minutes, sensing that this wasn't right I dismissed the message but it came back a few moments later, I wasn't in Safari at the time so it wasn't a bogus web message, I did a live support chat with Apple who said it was possible malware.

Just putting this out to the group to see if anyone else has had experience of this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Is this a company device, or do you have an Exchange email profile installed? There are requirements to change passwords that they may enforce. This is a valid iOS message, the source or reason may or may not be valid. I'm on the side of valid on the basis that there is no known malware to produce this.

3. dmanes macrumors newbie

dmanes

Not so much a bug. I have exchange installed and my It dept requires to change password periodically

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

An already existing discussion (or a few) can be of help:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ne-unlock-passcode-within-37-minutes.1963685/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/passcode-must-be-changed-within-60-minutes.1910037/

5. Jimbo Asprilla thread starter macrumors regular

Jimbo Asprilla

My phone isn't a company phone but I have set up my company email on it using exchange.

6. ashindnile macrumors 6502

On a side note, why does apple support sound like a robot that's learning to use the dictionary?

7. Jimbo Asprilla thread starter macrumors regular

Jimbo Asprilla

and why were they so quick to suggest it was malware, doesn't feel like it would be something that Apple would suggest.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Possibly because not all representatives are necessrily the best at what they do, as is the case with pretty much any company in any industry?

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

A lot of times they are. It's cheaper to have you talk to a robot by default and bring in a human only the robot can't figure out your issue.

10. Beelzbub macrumors regular

This could be the cause. I would ask your IT department and see if they have any rules in place that make you change your passcode.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Connecting your personal iPhone to a company exchange server makes it a company phone. The IT department can remotely wipe your phone if they want to ;)

12. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Use pop or imap to access your email and then they can't remote wipe anymore.

13. chrfr macrumors 603

Not every Exchange server is configured to allow IMAP or POP, however.

14. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Does this really related to exchange server policy changing? I don't find any such setting on my exchange server.
    Although, malware, it also sounds strange. Does anyone know which password it requires you to change? Passcode? Email account password?

15. chrfr macrumors 603

It's absolutely possible to enforce password policies through an Exchange server. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt465748(v=exchg.150).aspx

16. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

My phone uses exchange from my work for emails and I get requests to update my password. Happens about every 90 days.

17. vexorg macrumors 6502a

18. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes. This is explained in the linked article.

19. vexorg macrumors 6502a

20. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Apple should pop up a message saying admin control of the iphone is now under control of the exchange server admin when a user logs onto the exchange server.

Users don't know ms exchange can do that, only exchange server admins know that.

21. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I got this message and was all o_O because I don't use Exchange, but then someone mentioned that profiles can set these requirements.

I looked at my installed profiles, and remembered I had installed the LinkNYC profile which allowed me to use free fast WiFi in New York City when I was visiting in March. I removed the profile and the annoying "change your passcode" prompts went away.

I have no idea why LinkNYC would put a passcode changing requirement in their profile; my guess is it's an oversight, maybe whoever made the profile used a corporate profile they already had as a template and left the change requirement in.

So! If you use LinkNYC WiFi access points, of have some other Wifi profile installed, this may be the cause of your passcode woes.

22. Talukdar macrumors member

Talukdar

No, I haven't met with this sort of message before. But I think this has something to do with your office email.

23. vexorg macrumors 6502a

What other email or services can have that level of control? only exchange or any other IMAP, or any other app?