Possible new GUI for iPhone 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tiguk, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tiguk macrumors 6502

One of the most recent software releases from the mighty :apple: has been Safari 4, with it's "Top Sites" curved screen view - a departure from previous UI designs.

Admittedly this probably has much to thank Google Chrome for in design, however this would be a great new look for iPhone 3.0, especially if it scrolled like cover-flow. Gone are your nine pages of apps, replaced with a smooth, scrolling & limitless view.

Just a thought.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I doubt that it would be "limitless". It would have to stop sometime...

3. tiguk thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, that might have been stretching it a bit, but it would allow more than 9 pages worth of apps, which many have reached already.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, if Apple wanted to, they could give more than 9 pages right now...

5. pintnight macrumors 6502

A better solution is Apple should gives us folders to allow us to put common apps in, i.e. create a Games folder and put all of your games in there and allow to scroll up and down in the folder.

Jailbreak has a "Categories" which is like a folder.

6. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I agree - a folder view that we can manage on the PC would be perfect.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Apple will probably introduce stacks, so you can organize all of your apps. Or maybe it will organize them for you (eg. games, utilities, etc)?

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

There were those patents floating around about a 3D UI ... meaning you drill down into deeper layers of the UI which means they could have categories on the top layer then each layers of pages for different elements ... meaning you can have different sections of the page on different levels ...

They HAVE to do something cos scrolling through 9+ pages of apps is just NOT apple

9. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I think we are going to see major UI changes.

If you remember when they showed off the Iphone, Jobs had told everyone it was a complete mess and only in those few months did they get it together.

It's most likely they are building 3.0 from the ground up almost. It's been 2 years in dev.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Indeed, the original UI was fine for the original phone -- a device with just a few included applications, and relatively few options to set.

Now there are many more applications, and some original design decisions are now poor fits... such as trying to put all app settings in one long settings section that you can only get to by exiting the app itself.

Another is leaving out a way to quickly scroll to the bottom of a page, or anywhere in a long document for that matter. I would almost take that ability before c&p :)

12. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I hope it's like a snowglobe so you can spend countless minutes trying to get the app you want and never get it!

On the serious level, I don't know how they would implement a GUI change but they always do surprise.

13. stevearm macrumors 6502a

No I really doubt there'll be huge GUI changes. The current version is pretty fantastic as it is.

Tweaking would be:

- Folders
    - Multi-tasking via home button double click.

That's about it I think.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Folders would be nice.

An easier way of going to the page that you want would be nice too.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree.
    Steve why haven't you been in your app icon thread lately?

16. TwoSpiritedBi macrumors newbie

its pretty hard to make a "folders" icon elegant, and you know Apple is all about elegance, even app store icons must look clean and pretty before Apple puts the app up on the App Store. Lets just hope Apple doesn't use something like this:
    [​IMG]

17. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Folders are absolutely awesome!

[​IMG]

18. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

How about a quick way to turn on/off wifi and 3G.... I think that is the most annoying and ridiculous amount of taps to get there... can anyone say hold down the sleep/wake button and it brings up those options?

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, I can say it.

20. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

21. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

The Categories app works pretty well but I'd love an official Apple one with instant load times instead of the 4-5 second delay you get from Categories.

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I could see a few cosmetic tweaks to the UI but not a new one.

23. synagence macrumors 6502a

Can't see it happening... given they're now 2 days away from unveiling 3.0 they're setting themselves up for june and they WON'T want it to be as bad as 2.0 at launch

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

2.3 could be released on Tuesday to hold us over until June. What if they add a few features to the iPod app or something that requires an update or something? It could happen, you never know. There was an iPod touch 1.1.5 and everyone said "There's going to be no 1.1.5, it's going to go straight from 1.1.4 to 2.0." Remember that?

Apple could be like "We're going to give you a small taste of 3.0 today with an update to 2.3 with a couple of minor features from 3.0."

25. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This would be great. It's been way too long since we've had a significant update. The last few have been the "bug fixes" that everybody needs and nobody wants.